General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Standing Rock Live: Water Protectors Face Off with Police Oct. 15, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
while the lame stream media follows the pointless Trump protest,because they're candidate didn't win the election fair and square,those standing for our planet continue.

About 40 people involved in protests against the Dakota Access oil pipeline were arrested on Friday in rural North Dakota as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it would soon clarify its plans for the controversial project near sacred tribal lands.

Army Corps of Engineers spokeswoman Amy Gaskill said it would issue a decision on its next steps within a few days, though it would perhaps not be a final decision. And it was unclear if the agency's next action would resolve the question of whether the line can be built as planned under Lake Oahe, where construction ceased in September.

Protesters arrested at North Dakota pipeline as decision expected | Reuters

Fort Laramie Treaty of April 29, 1868

The Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) violates Article 2 of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty which guarantees that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe shall enjoy the “undisturbed use and occupation” of our permanent homeland, the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. The U.S. Constitution states that treaties are the supreme law of the land.

Dakota Access is Violating Federal Law

Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by old farm truck
The pipeline people spent months consulting with communities and landowners along the proposed route. Standing Rock reservation refused several requests to meet and discuss their concerns. Then when construction was already underway the Indians put up roadblocks and start making their usual complaints about poverty and needing more welfare programs and no show jobs.

Indians pretend it's all about the environment and their way of life but soon as the check arrives the chief and his friends will be all driving new pickups and building new homes while the rest of the tribe get nothing. It's the same with the blacks if we actually made these people take some responsibility for themselves Al Sharpton and the other poverty pimps would be out of a job.

There's nothing new here. Indians will block the pipeline until the government buys them off. And in a few years they'll be back with their hand out again asking for more.
Sioux refusal to accept the money awarded

The Sioux have declined to accept the money,[32] because acceptance would legally terminate Sioux demands for return of the Black Hills. The money remains in a Bureau of Indian Affairs account accruing compound interest. As of 24 August 2011 the Sioux interest on their money has compounded to over 1 billion dollars.[33]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ion_of_Indians

Old 11-12-2016, 05:34 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If what you just said is factual, than the pipeline needs to be scrapped, period.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
while the lame stream media follows the pointless Trump protest,because they're candidate didn't win the election fair and square,those standing for our planet continue.

About 40 people involved in protests against the Dakota Access oil pipeline were arrested on Friday in rural North Dakota as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it would soon clarify its plans for the controversial project near sacred tribal lands.
I agree the lame stream media should be covering this more. I'm rather curious why they aren't.

Fort Laramie Treaty of April 29, 1868

The Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) violates Article 2 of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty which guarantees that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe shall enjoy the “undisturbed use and occupation” of our permanent homeland, the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. The U.S. Constitution states that treaties are the supreme law of the land.

Dakota Access is Violating Federal Law
How so, from what is see the pipeline doesn't enter the rez?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:26 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
because the media is controlled by the elite.too much $ is at risk if the world saw this like the pointless Trump protest.that protest isn't going to mean anything or hurt cooperate America.that's just more pointless distraction and useless noise so people don't look at real issues that matter like this.
hey,it's probably a good thing unfortunately because after all we are dependent on the oil so what would happen if we shut down oil delivery before we're on clean energy alternatives? it wouldn't look pretty.
you don't think cops take the initiative themselves to arrest and shoot (non lethal) reporters who cover this do you? they are just following orders.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:30 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
because the media is controlled by the elite.too much $ is at risk if the world saw this like the pointless Trump protest.that protest isn't going to mean anything or hurt cooperate America.that's just more pointless distraction and useless noise so people don't look at real issues that matter like this.
OK but this and 90% of the links in this thread is about the protest. In that regard you're just as guilty. You've focused on the protest not the issues, and many of the articles are sensationalized.

To me it doesn't look much different then the "protestors" breaking windows in Portland the other night. It's a different people, different location, and different complaint. But the same pointless violence and "protest" without a clear issue or ask?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
the cause and the ask are far more simple than you think.

that we stop hurting mother earth.that we make the needed changes necessary to stop ruining the only place we have for our future generations.

i don't disagree with you that pipelines aren't the overall best methods to deliver oil.it's just that pipelines are not good enough,even if they are the best way.not by a long shot and we need to continue our efforts to move away from fossil fuel eventually.we have too.like it or not our survival depends on the fact,that we do.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
the cause and the ask are far more simple than you think.

that we stop hurting mother earth.that we make the needed changes necessary to stop ruining the only place we have for our future generations.
That doesn't seem simple to me, nor does it appear that to the protestors that is the primary issue. But ok if it's your issue help me understand. I don't see how a pipeline hurts mother earth? So tell me how you, the man who IIRC operates a firewood company and has at least 2 old diesel trucks thinks a pipeline harms mother earth?

Just saw your edit... here's mine.
i don't disagree with you that pipelines aren't the overall best methods to deliver oil.it's just that pipelines are not good enough,even if they are the best way.not by a long shot and we need to continue our efforts to move away from fossil fuel eventually.we have too.like it or not our survival depends on the fact,that we do.
What's better then a pipeline? They're by far the best way, sure accidents happen, you posted one. But planes crash to, that doesn't mean that planes aren't still the safest form of travel.

So, when we get down to it it's a fossil fuel thing? What's wrong with fossil fuel?

Old 11-12-2016, 07:00 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
you haven't read the thread and the articles.if you did you would understand that pipelines all eventually rupture.thousands of examples have been provided.i just posted the pic of the most recent rupture down in Alabama.check it out back a page or two.
leaks are absolutely devastating to the soil and water.years upon years upon years,the ground is still polluted from spills.

if you read,you'll also see how i state i run two diesel trucks and i need the oil too.this doesn't mean because i need to burn it in my trucks,that it isn't harmful to the air we all breath.it means i have no other choice but it doesn't mean i don't want one.im pretty sure i explained this just back a page.

a protest is sometimes needed to change how we do things.

when someone stands up and fights for our right to clean water and shines the light brightly at the faults in the way we're doing things,it should make us all stop and think and give thanks for those fighting for us all and our next generations and those after them.don't you think?

https://www.propublica.org/article/p...s-of-pipelines

should someone stand up and protest and say; hey look! your not doing a good enough job here!? .........i sure think so.this is why i stand with standing rock.

to me,standing with standing rock,isn't so much as a stand against big oil (hey,i need it for my trucks! i depend on it for my business) but rather a stand for our mother earth,all people on it and our future generations.
so i guess rather than saying "no" to the DAPL i would personally say "better" pipelines (for now,until we finally work towards finding cleaner ways) but it's just as good,to bring awareness.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:27 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
you haven't read the thread and the articles.if you did you would understand that pipelines all eventually rupture.thousands of examples have been provided.i just posted the pic of the most recent rupture down in Alabama.check it out back a page or two.
leaks are absolutely devastating to the soil and water.years upon years upon years,the ground is still polluted from spills.
No I haven't read every word, but I read a fair amount. It's hard to pick through all the protest propaganda and drill down to the meat of the issue here.

Yes eventually if not replaced, repaired, maintained etc. all things fail. This is even MORE reason to build them. First all other methods of transporting the oil have a higher rate off problems. Second we need to build more to replace and repair the ones that need it BEFORE they fail. To compare you know your truck is going to need work, so what do you do, you get another truck. That way you can keep hauling with one while you fix the other. Pipelines are no different. Allowing them to build a new safer more modern pipelines will allow them to shut down and decommission, or update and repair other old out of date ones.

The only argument against pipelines I see if you are just plain anti-oil period and want the system to fail catastrophically.

if you read,you'll also see how i state i run two diesel trucks and i need the oil too.this doesn't mean because i need to burn it in my trucks,that it isn't harmful to the air we all breath.it means i have no other choice but it doesn't mean i don't want one.im pretty sure i explained this just back a page.
I read what your wrote here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16712875

So if they wanted to build a power line, or water pipeline, along the exact same path as the oil pipeline you'd have no problem with it?

If you think your trucks are harmful to the air you have choices. BTW you do run a firewood outfit right? Isn't burning firewood MUCH more harmful to the air? Keep in mind I don't personally have a problem with either your trucks or the wood, I just find it hypocritical.

LOL, again just saw your edit, the addition of the quote. Which leads me to one question, isn't this a ""better" pipeline(s)""? which would you rather have oil flowing thru a 50 year old pipeline built to 50 year old standards with 50 year old technology, or a brand new modern pipeline?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:26 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
your still not understanding.here are things put simple.

1.im not against big oil.i need it.you may find it hypocritical of me to dislike oil and need it too.i call it stranded without another option.as for a joy ride using a classic car,why not? i just hope one day we move on to something much cleaner for our massively used vehicles and other energy needs.there's nothing hypocritical of doing what we need but want better.

2.im not against making a living.we all have to make a living under the circumstances we have available to us.i don't sell firewood no,i plant,prune and care for trees in peoples landscape.remove as well,where required.you could say im a tree hugger and i would consider it an honor.

3.yes i know pipelines are probably the best (at least the safest) method to transport a necessary evil to us.this doesn't mean they are good enough.just because something could be worse,doesn't by default,make something that is better than something worse; good.

have a read here:

185,000 Miles of U.S. Oil Pipelines Leak EVERY SINGLE DAY - Counter Current News

no one can call that good ^ even if you can find something worse.this is the whole point.no hidden agendas here.bringing awareness to a very,devastating issue.even if it is for a necessary commodity,nothing will ever make this acceptable.this and this alone is why i stand with standing rock.i stand with standing rock because if no one else does,i can promise you,we will eventually kill mother earth and us along with her.there is no way around this fact.there just isn't.like i say,sometimes a protest is needed to change the way we do things.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
The issue with me is that if the United States government signed the treaty as Ford F250HDXLT says, than they need to get the hell out of there and follow the treaty.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
The issue with me is that if the United States government signed the treaty as Ford F250HDXLT says, than they need to get the hell out of there and follow the treaty.
The pipeline isn't going on treaty land.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:27 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by old farm truck
The pipeline isn't going on treaty land.

F250, What say you?

Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
F250, What say you?
i say,stay focused.in short; what happens upstream,affects all living downstream.

the city of Bismarck who rejected the pipeline due to water contamination risk,remains at risk just as much as the natives on the reservation.water doesn't care who owns the land it flows over,nor will oil coming from a ruptured pipe one day.this isn't primarily about old broken promises.that's a fight that has been going on for hundreds of years.this here is about what effects us all.it's not so much about pipelines breaking laws and regulations and finding loopholes in the law so much as it's all about bringing awareness to the fact that the current laws and regulations are no where good enough.once contaminated,the water and the soil are contaminated for many,many,many years.you can't simply put that oil back in the pipe.you can't send the oil back upstream the river because it violated your land boundary.
remember; just because you have a right to do something,doesn't make it the right thing to do.we need to do better because what we have right now,are too many pipelines leaking.the only way we're going to get better,is to demand better.big oil co's care about profits far more than the earth.this fact here,is the underlying heart of the whole problem.greed has blinded them from the fact,that if they kill the earth,their children wont have a place to spend their inheritances anyway.im all for making money as well.i have a retirement fund which consists,in part of the entire s&p 500.which means i am a shareholder of oil.my personal stand isn't against being able to go down to the store and fuel up my trucks.my stand isn't to hurt my ira.my stand is simply asking to keep oil in those pipes until one day,we can go down to the store and trade out battery packs instead of of pulling that nozzle.standing with standing rock,to me,isn't to stand against anyone.it's to stand for everyone.join me!

Quick Reply: Standing Rock Live: Water Protectors Face Off with Police Oct. 15, 2016