2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Thread about tuning and "Coal oralating brodozer"...so we don't troll other users threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Saluki_guy
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Thread about tuning and "Coal oralating brodozer"...so we don't troll other users threads

Here is a prime example of what I see on a daily basis of SD truck owners down here. Don't get me wrong there are normal trucks down here but there are a LOT of these turd buckets around. I cannot stand them and I don't care if that makes anybody butt hurt here. I was raised with 250/350's that were used for work and travel. They were not show trucks and they were dependable vehicles.

Here is a great video that I am sure a few of you have seen that details why I hate tuning motors the way that these guys do down here. It also gives you the best reasons why to NEVER purchase a used truck from down here unless you know the ENTIRE EXACT history of the vehicle. Way way way to many Brodozers down here.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Here we go...

Old 10-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Saluki_guy
Tuned
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Here we go...

Figure better there then other peoples threads right? This can be the "gee dunk" and the waste bin.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-14-2016, 12:25 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
If I ever do get a tune I would have no interest in any type of delete...I would only want a tune with a bit more power and better shift strategies. I would most likely go with 5 Star for my tune.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:47 PM
BostonScorpion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still don't get the point of a tune on the 2011+ trucks....

I got it when the trucks were making under 500 lb-ft....

But now you can pay to have a 7 year 200,000 mile warrantied truck with 925lb-ft that exhales clean.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awe Hey Man, all that proves is Ford don't make them motors good enough. My buddy's brother in law's uncle's kid's best friend runs em like that all the time and it don't hurt a thing. Just shows the crap Ford is puttin on the street.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 PM
MRyanF
Senior User
Its funny people knock the delete tunes yet if warranty covered it, everyone would want them. Its the warranty people care about not the emissions.

Same reason am not going to immediately tune mine. Would love a tune, but want to keep my warranty on an 80k truck.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel mileage is the biggest reason (for me anyhow) IMO for the delete and/or tune. Manufacturers have their hands tied with meeting emissions and don't have to worry about mpg's on these trucks so much. Not sure what the #'s are with the superduty but can guarantee you if you get rid of the dpf/egr mileage will increase. We commonly delete the class 8 trucks towing 80k lbs and I see them go from 4.75-5mpg up to 6 even 6.25 mpg. That's huge when these trucks run 125-150k miles per year. We're talking $12k per year difference just in fuel at a cost of $2.50/gallon. Obviously voids any warranty but on these larger trucks "warranty" isn't worth the paper it's written on. Down time is your biggest cost not the repair and you will BY FAR have more down time keeping your DPF with all the extra BS of check engine lights, plugged filters and derated engines. Fines here on the westcoast keep people from doing the deletes for the most part but a growing # of people here are fed up with the headaches of the DPF system and lack of reliability/fuel mileage these vehicles get with the government emissions restrictions. Today's engines are far better than the first generation which only used the filter and did not have the DEF but the engines will still see huge MPG gains without it. Having said all that I think I'll leave my 17 superduty alone for now and see where the mileage is once broke in. I want reliability and I still believe without all the restrictions even the 6.7 will benefit both in mpg's and reliability without the EGR/DPF.

You will always have the crowd who wants to "pour coal" and show off a little like the guy spinning donuts in the 2017 Platinum truck on the other thread but in the grand scheme of things those guys are few when compared to the much larger group who are looking for mileage improvements and improved reliability.

There will always be someone doing EXTREME tuning that unnecessarily stresses the engine to get every bit of power out of it. There will always be a market for that but again I would venture to say that MOST of us who "Tune" engines aren't looking for that. There's a happy medium where a reasonable tune can improve performance, reliability, mpg, and smiles per mile!

Ok, rant over! Carry-on......

Old 10-15-2016, 01:00 AM
spook222
Senior User
I currently have 296,000 miles on my 2011 F350 king ranch. 196,000 of those miles are with a 150 horse H&S tuner with every delete I could do and an aftermarket air filter. I gained 2 mpg and and a lot of power. I got sick of that DEF and those fuel sucking regens. This truck works hard. I farm and my land is in 3 chunks spread over 30 miles. Consequently I'm hauling a lot of equipment back and forth. I use all the power it has on the hills just keeping the egt's in the safe zone. This truck amazes me as much now as it did when new. Pulls like a freight train. The cool thing is that I've never had a power train break down other than a hub, water pump, and a nox sensor (when it was new). My '17 will get a tuner as soon as the warranty is out. My old '99 with 365,000 is still going strong, after a new tranny at 145,000, and its had an edge tuner on it from the get go. My '06 dodge didn't fair so well with a tuner. 2 trannys in 150,000 miles. In a super duty, I think they have their place

Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
So do the regens really use a ton of fuel?? How often does the truck want to regen?

Old 10-16-2016, 12:41 AM
spook222
Senior User
Depends on how hard it's working usually. When it does regen, mileage drops down to around 10-12 mpg and that exhaust pipe heats up like crazy. Not comfortable when you're out combining in a wheat field or checking cows in tall dry pasture grass

Old 10-16-2016, 03:26 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by spook222
Depends on how hard it's working usually. When it does regen, mileage drops down to around 10-12 mpg and that exhaust pipe heats up like crazy. Not comfortable when you're out combining in a wheat field or checking cows in tall dry pasture grass
Oh man yeah I guess not...how often does the regen happen?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:16 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Oh man yeah I guess not...how often does the regen happen?
So far my 2017 has done it twice in 500 miles...and no longer gives a warning. If you've been trained to recognize the symptoms of a regen on the 2011-16, they're all still here with this truck. Slightly different engine tone. Boost climbs with slightest acceleration. Economy drops. And the smell.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Saluki_guy
Tuned
Well..got up this morning and the wife said we needed a couple things. Ran out and ran smack dab into this. I could not resist so I snuck a couple of pics on the way in and out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2050%20AM.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2007%20AM.jpg

Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saluki_guy
Well..got up this morning and the wife said we needed a couple things. Ran out and ran smack dab into this. I could not resist so I snuck a couple of pics on the way in and out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2050%20AM.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2007%20AM.jpg
So is it yours??

Quick Reply: Thread about tuning and "Coal oralating brodozer"...so we don't troll other users threads