1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

I truly believe people are missing the point....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 AM
tym64
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I truly believe people are missing the point....

I put new lock outs on my truck. The lock outs simply junked out, my truck ate em. It seems everyone is blaming the lock outs as the issue, and I firmly disagree.

I think they are designed to fail and should fail in the event you have other issues with your front end 4 wheel drive. Its kinda like a u joint in a car, you want that to fail, cause if it didn't, its gonna eat your transmition, or rear end.

So I have to go in search of a 4 wheel drive guy. I just don't think my mechanic, has enough exp with manuals to offer me much help.

Am I wrong??

Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 AM
reggiedunlop
Freshman User
haha I don't know about you but every 4x4 I've own from full size diesels to small pick ups that had locks... they were a pain in the *** without exception. always had problem with locks. you're probably right.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:09 AM
tym64
New User
I think either the hubs did not come with, or they forgot to ship some parts I needed. Don't new lock outs come with the Gear, spring, and Retaining clip to make everything work??

Old 10-15-2016, 09:31 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Proper maintenance keeps hubs alive. They NEED to be disassembled, cleaned up and re-lubed occasionally. Back in the day when we still had to repack wheel bearings, I would do it every time I did the bearings. Usually every 25-30,000 miles.......more often if I was doing some heavy 4 wheeling in the mud and slop. I have owned numerous 4x4's over my lifetime and have done some pretty serious wheelin' with the majority of them. I have NEVER had a hub fail!!!! Because I maintain them. I have known guys who "ate" hubs all the time. But when I ask them when they had taken them apart for maintenance the last time.......I usually get a deer in the headlights look.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:55 PM
tym64
New User
To say I goofed up would be a understatement. The hubs I bought, "rugged ridge" were just beyond freaking junk. Saw a couple of others say that they failed on there 98 ford ranger to.

I thought that was my only option, then I ran across some "Mile Marker" hubs for my ranger, once I got them, and saw them, I had a better understanding how they really work. To say I was wrong is a understatement. Again after seeing how they are supposed to work, yea, I can understand taking them off once in awhile, maybe putting a bit of grease on the gears.

My mechanic I guess farmed out the work on my truck, which I am not real happy about, it does need wheel bearings, which I can understand, but now the guy he farmed it out to says it needs a spring to hold in the axle, I am not so sure he is right, but I guess I will find out soon enough. Mechanic is gonna call a ford dealership and talk to them about it.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 PM
98 Thunderbolt
Freshman User
Question Ummm.....

BOMK you can run without any hubs at all, you just wouldn't have 4x4 availability, as they hubs on the PVH setup in no way hold the axle in, there is no nut at the end.

With that in mind I thing your farmed out mechanic is tryin to milk the job.

I work with a guy that has RR on 2 different Rangers and has had no problems out of them and they have been on for 5 yrs.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:51 AM
tym64
New User
Originally Posted by 98 Thunderbolt
BOMK you can run without any hubs at all, you just wouldn't have 4x4 availability, as they hubs on the PVH setup in no way hold the axle in, there is no nut at the end.

With that in mind I thing your farmed out mechanic is tryin to milk the job.

I work with a guy that has RR on 2 different Rangers and has had no problems out of them and they have been on for 5 yrs.
So you think the "Spring that Holds the Axle in is Bull****??". I dont think there is one, its a clip in the pumpkin. But, yea, I am NOT ****ing happy.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 PM
98 Thunderbolt
Freshman User
Arrow Well........

Originally Posted by tym64
So you think the "Spring that Holds the Axle in is Bull****??". I dont think there is one, its a clip in the pumpkin. But, yea, I am NOT ****ing happy.
=================
The spring inside the hub DOESN'T hold the axle in place, all it does it put pressure on the gear inside it when the PVH's are activated.

I have done the manual mod to mine that I found on TRS. The PVH's are like a ballpoint pen, you can push the spring in to engage them and push it in again to release it. The spring just puts pressure on the little gear inside the hub the same as the spring inside a ballpoint pen.
Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!