1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about buying a used truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Evilgenyus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about buying a used truck

So I've been contemplating getting a new truck for a while and I have made my mind up on a new to me f250. I don't do much towing but I drive an f250 on my job and I love those trucks. The only problem is where I live in Va the trucks seem to hold there value so I've been looking in the surrounding states to save some money. I finally found one that has all the features and that I wanted. I went today to check it out and overall it was in pretty good shape but I popped the hood and I noticed there was a Cai installed and it wasn't mentioned (not that it's a bad thing ). But it got me thinking on the drive home....do you guys think I should be concerned about there a being a tuned installed? It's 6.2 gas and they said it's still has the remaining factory warranty but when I was there today I didn't think about the fact there could've been a tune? The only other mods were a lift and aftermarket wheels and tires. I'm gonna ask the dealer tomorrow I left today because there was some undisclosed issues that I wanted fixed and there service dept was closed. One other issue is the dealership I found it was not a Ford dealer. If they told me the truck had no tune and I bought and it did what issues could I run into? Thanks for any input and sorry for the long post.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a used lifted truck. Too many questions, and yes, to buy a truck I would want, you might as well just get a brand new one (0% is ongoing for right now).

Why would someone spend the money on a late model lift and not keep the truck? Generally they either ran into problems, or ran out of money. If they ran into problems, you want to run away. If they ran out of money, they normally don't just turn in the keys. They struggle awhile, skip a few oil changes, and have some last minute fun with it. The market is what the market is, and if you find a truck significantly under market, there is a problem for it. If they have lots of money to do plenty of repairs, then frankly they bought the truck cheap, which then you have to ask, "boy how bad was this thing". The CAI and lift void several parts of the warranty as well. A tune would pretty much finish off anything you found of value in the warranty portion.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a statement in the owners manual that states aftermarket equipment, and their policy.

I would avoid it, basically it's fords way of saying "it's modified, not our problem".

I would just take the same money as stated above and buy a brand new truck.... used trucks are becoming a headache, at least in my area you're better off buying new.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Evilgenyus
New User
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if it makes a difference but I think it's just a level not a lift. As far as the price I wouldn't say it's much lower than my home state but after some hard fought negotiations on my trade and things I wanted fixed(some scratches, tire pressure sensor) it turns out to be a good deal for the year and miles. The problem is around here the truck were missing features I wanted or overpriced in my opinion. The salesman said they sold a lot of vehicles to this person and the only reason he traded it was because he ordered a new Ram. I contacted the salesman today about the cold air intake and if they checked on it being tuned at any time. No one mentioned it being tuned so it's more of me making sure everything is correct. I personally would probably would just try to locate a stock air box and ditch the cai before I ever had to bring to my local dealer.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Evilgenyus
New User
Thanks for the input I just have some thinking to do.