1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Whitey--No He is Not Racist

Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
Where do you mount the "OH POOP!!" handles and get them?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:30 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Thanks Nate. I can't tell you how pleased I am with how it turned out. Ruby had a chrome grill and it just never felt like me. After I took the bumper off, I had to beat on those brackets with an 8 lb. sledge. There were seriously bent. The only thing I would wonder about your grill is removing the "chrome" plating or whatever it's called. Do you think it'd be a major pain?

Thanks Jarrett. I agree, but I have one issue to address before any tinting goes down. The glass is in HORRIBLE condition. I have been trying different remedies, but it's cloudy, water spotted, and scratched. I am seriously thinking about waiting until January to replace at least the front two door glass and windshield. So far I have tried compound, steel wool, wadding polish, and dawn. I think it just needs to be replaced. I am not sure why it's in such bad shape.

Thanks Bryan. I can't lie...even though I know I should have drained the block, it's not a problem I wanted to have on Sunday after noon if the plugs decided to strip out like my diff plug did. I just wanted to get some SCAs back in there since I highly doubt the PO even knew to do so or cared. I would have used concentrated, but all Napa had was the 50/50 so I went with it for now. It was on sale at $9 bucks a gallon, so after we get settled this month with a new job and the second part of my semester starting, I'll address it more thoroughly then. It took almost 5 gallons just from me draining it and refilling, so hopefully it's in much better shape now. The good news is, the green coolant that came out of there looked really clean, for what it's worth. I did take off the overflow bottle and clean it real good though. It was pretty bad.
I have the full XL front trim set from one of the XL trucks I parted out, so I'd likely just swap those onto it.

Sandblasted glass you think?

I honestly wouldn't stress about getting the last gallon or two out. If you're watching your SCA's and keeping them in range, put a coolant filter on it and you'll be doing more than 98% of the PSD owners out there are.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
The Bon Ami FAQ

bonami has worked great for me on windshields in the past

Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
The Bon Ami FAQ

I have heard this. I'll check it out.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
How to: Grab Handles for the OBS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

This was the best writeup I found. They also make little nut rivet things that might be a better option.

I remember someone using those cilp nuts like what Ford used for everything

Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 AM
pwjackson42
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got grab handles from a late 90's to early 2000's Ford Escape. The tan matched the tan in my truck almost perfect. I drilled holes and used thread cutting screws like the ones that came with the handles. I went to my local hardware and got just a bit bigger diameter screw. They have been installed now for about 6 months, my wife uses it every time she gets in.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by knottyrope
The Bon Ami FAQ

My guess is that if steel wool won't do the trick, this stuff won't touch it. It looks to be just an abrasive powder. I did use steel wool yesterday. They look much better, but still need to be replaced.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pwjackson42
I got grab handles from a late 90's to early 2000's Ford Escape. The tan matched the tan in my truck almost perfect. I drilled holes and used thread cutting screws like the ones that came with the handles. I went to my local hardware and got just a bit bigger diameter screw. They have been installed now for about 6 months, my wife uses it every time she gets in.
This is pretty much what I did with Ruby with exception of drilling holes. I let the self-tapping screws do that.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:32 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell

This was the best writeup I found. They also make little nut rivet things that might be a better option.

That looks easy enough, just need to find me some handles now. Thank you but I am in REP JAIL

Old 10-26-2016, 06:31 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
That may have been me. I used rubber well nuts on my first truck, but didn't care for them I want to be SURE that the handle isn't going anywhere if people (my little wife, included) are going to be grabbing these to help them climb into the truck. The second time I did this (when I installed them into my current truck) I used the spring steel clip nuts and I like the way that worked much better. You have to drill an extra hole, but the mounting is a lot more solid. These things aren't going anywhere.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That may have been me. I used rubber well nuts on my first truck, but didn't care for them I want to be SURE that the handle isn't going anywhere if people (my little wife, included) are going to be grabbing these to help them climb into the truck. The second time I did this (when I installed them into my current truck) I used the spring steel clip nuts and I like the way that worked much better. You have to drill an extra hole, but the mounting is a lot more solid. These things aren't going anywhere.
Yeah, I think I read your writeup or something very similar. Something like a 1/4 or 5/16 hole that lines up with the holes in the handles, and a 1" hole about 1" away from each little one for the clip to slide into. I thought that was pretty slick and is how I think I will be doing it if I ever get around to it.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:56 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah, I think I read your writeup or something very similar. Something like a 1/4 or 5/16 hole that lines up with the holes in the handles, and a 1" hole about 1" away from each little one for the clip to slide into. I thought that was pretty slick and is how I think I will be doing it if I ever get around to it.
Yessir! That's about it. I liked the clips for this application as they make that handle a lot more rigid. The last thing I want is one of my kids hanging on that thing climbing into the truck and have the handle fall off and the kid go falling back out the door. There's enough drama in my life. I don't need all that, lol.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:57 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Teach your kids what I taught my siblings... TUCK AND ROLL!!

Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Haha, that'd probably work as much time as they spend on the trampoline. Be my luck they'd tuck and roll right under another vehicle and get all banged up.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Haha, that'd probably work as much time as they spend on the trampoline. Be my luck they'd tuck and roll right under another vehicle and get all banged up.
This made me laugh out loud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whitey--No He is Not Racist