1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Whitey--No He is Not Racist

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:12 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Pilgrim, I actually agree with a few of your points. yes, the UCVH does work ok and some forget that they did do well for 15-20 years. ****e breaks and fails no doubt, but its not always due to poor design. Sometimes its simply due to age and wear/tear. I for one, decided against the SD upgrade because of money and time, and quite frankly, I just wanted it running right. Who cares? Its my choice and after fixing the pigtails and harnesses yesterday, it runs great. If someone else wants to upgrade or whatever, more power to them. I have decided this truck will be a mild, but heavy duty budget build with the focus being a tow rig.

I will say that threatening to sue Clay is just silly. He nor his business had anything to do with an o-ring failure. I feel your frustration. Look back at my frustration with my auto trans. Its the HUGE reason I went to a manual.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Hey Byron, this is a little off topic but a general quick question for the guys following the thread; what causes the UVCH connectors to burn up? I should probably carry some spares but I dont want to do the SD mod, maybe just the preventive maint on items associated with contributing to the failures..
Corey, I believe from what Bill has stated, the amps to the glow plugs are too much for old brittle plastic. I elected against the SD mod for now as well. If these burn up again within the next year, I'll do it then. At this point, I just wanted it firing on all 8, which it is!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:49 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
UVCH will heat up on a lose connection or shorted out GP

The SD ones with bigger connector should handle more current but not that of a shorted out GP

the UVCH I think might not be a bad idea is the one that eliminates the internal connector that might come loose like Doorman's
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-0-50-mod.html

Old 10-14-2016, 02:04 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by knottyrope
UVCH will heat up on a lose connection or shorted out GP

The SD ones with bigger connector should handle more current but not that of a shorted out GP

the UVCH I think might not be a bad idea is the one that eliminates the internal connector that might come loose like Doorman's
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-0-50-mod.html
I put one on the passenger side because my harnesses have not come from Clay yet. I'll keep Clay's as spare until these burn up, so I guess I'm the test dummy. It is nice that the internal harness eliminates the plug. It looked well built to me, but we'll see.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:03 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Corey, I believe from what Bill has stated, the amps to the glow plugs are too much for old brittle plastic. I elected against the SD mod for now as well. If these burn up again within the next year, I'll do it then. At this point, I just wanted it firing on all 8, which it is!
Thanks Byron. I wonder when one would elect to replace those components as preventive maintenance? I've got no problem doing in now @ 98k but do I need to?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:10 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
maybe keep a set on hand for when it does burn out but one may never know when it will happen

CPS on the other hand Is good to keep in glove box with a 10 mm wrench

Old 10-14-2016, 04:12 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Thanks Byron. I wonder when one would elect to replace those components as preventive maintenance? I've got no problem doing in now @ 98k but do I need to?
Corey, I wouldn't think so unless you just feel like working on something. You could just pull each valve cover and check the condition of the pin and plastic. Mine was running so bad and the burnt plug was smoking out of the oil fill hole. I approach these with a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. That's just me though.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Ah dangit...if that's what the brotherhood really REALLY wants....fine, ok

Details...

1995 F-350 4x4 ZF CCLB, 4.10s, KingPin D60, 167k miles unmolested, ALL stock except intake and exhaust and DP. That'll change soon enough

A lot has been done to this truck. Let me try to get it all out.

Was that a Typo or did someone put a king pin axle in?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
maybe keep a set on hand for when it does burn out but one may never know when it will happen

CPS on the other hand Is good to keep in glove box with a 10 mm wrench
Yup, got two of those in the glovebox..

Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
It turned out to be a ball joint after he picked it up.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
It turned out to be a ball joint after he picked it up.
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Yup, I think I said somewhere back I was talking out of my azz on that one. Still a D60...I'll keep it!

Old 10-15-2016, 09:10 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice find Byron! I am looking for a replacement as well due to rust.

Congratulations on the son! So much for a free time😉. I do get twice the hugs with two though.

My truck is an xl and I really like it. The only thing I have added is electric locks and heated mirrors.

What is the axel code on the door sticker for the rear axel?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:41 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by nateairman
Nice find Byron! I am looking for a replacement as well due to rust.

Congratulations on the son! So much for a free time��. I do get twice the hugs with two though.

My truck is an xl and I really like it. The only thing I have added is electric locks and heated mirrors.

What is the axel code on the door sticker for the rear axel?
Thanks for the kind words! I agree its more work, but man is it cool with twice the love. I mean, he doesn't love me yet, he's only 2 weeks LOL but it's gonna be fun!

Axle code is 39 and the spring code is T4F. What do these translate to? I guess I could search it.

Man I just love this truck! Even with the anemic exhaust and stock setup, it just PULLS. Bad news is Clay cant ship me my exhaust because of the great state of California even though my truck is emissions exempt. I have a member on here who was willing to give me his address so I can ship it to him and then he'll ship it to me. Just means I'll have to wait a few more days for it I guess. At this point, here is where I stand.

1. Still have to change all fluids
2. Fix clutch heim joint
3. Install radio and speakers
4. Finish cleaning
5. Install exhaust
6. Install TS chip
7. Install EGT, Fuel Pressure, Boost gauges

Here is my thought process. I'll be hauling in Jan with these mods. These injectors are all stock originals with only 160k on them and the oil has been changed religiously and he used 2-cycle oil at every fill-up. He did do a couple things right. I think I will leave them alone to the very last. I am going to do E-fuel, Intercool it, HPOP, rebuild turbo, and new clutch with SMF and then see how it performs. I know everyone wants bigger stix, , but I just dont' want the stupid EGT issues. We are planning a few big trips for late Spring and this summer with our trailer and I'll get a good idea if it is going to be acceptable or not at that point. If I can pull up a grade doing 55-60 with these mods and this set-up, that's all I am after. Even though I'll have gauges, I don't want to have to watch them more than the road.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:53 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Oh, one other thing. I have a little front grill project as well. I ordered all new headlamps and tail lamp lenses from Rockauto. I HATE cloudy lenses with a passion. When I do the headlights, I am going to sand down the grill and paint it flat black for a little resto work. The grill looks like CRAP right now.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:52 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by BBaslider001
Oh, one other thing. I have a little front grill project as well. I ordered all new headlamps and tail lamp lenses from Rockauto. I HATE cloudy lenses with a passion. When I do the headlights, I am going to sand down the grill and paint it flat black for a little resto work. The grill looks like CRAP right now.

Honestly I really wish it had 4.10 that's in my head the big drawback .

Quick Reply: Whitey--No He is Not Racist