Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 (Excursion) making weird noise and acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:53 PM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V10 (Excursion) making weird noise and acting strange

This has been going on for about a year or two and I had a thread here on it but I had no money to get it checked out. I got used to it doing this so when I got money last year, I simply forgot to have it checked out and of course, now I'm broken again.

Anyway, it only did this when I was driving and hit the gas. It would drop a gear or two, pick up speed and at the end, when it was through accelerating, it would make this sucking noise. The longer I would hold the pedal down and then let go, the longer it made that sound. Only a second or so mind you.

Check out the first sound file (# ending with 114). At 0:13, you can hear me kicking the gas down and at 0:21, you can hear the sucking sound.

TODAY, it start doing it differently, it started doing it when I took off and not only was it louder, much louder, when it changed gears, it did not change gears as smooth as it used to and and it kind of moved the truck/shook it or whatever the way it does when you change the gear manually and let out the clutch too fast.

Check out the two other files for the way it sounds now. ALL are taken today but the first one was when I was already driving at a certain speed, kicked down the gas and it did it. The other two was when I took off from stand still.

Especially the rough gear change is freaking me out as I have no money and I can't fix a damn thing and I'm worried it might be something expensive.

Volume up as it may be hard to hear. You'll hear a swooshing/sucking sound.

This is a 2005, Excursion with a V10 and around 80k miles. I don't drive hard and I don't tow and since I got it, oil has been changed regularly at a ford dealership every 3k miles.

File # ending with 115
sucking sound at 0:11

File 116
sucking sound at 0:10

I forgot to mention. Twice today (first time right before I wrote this and the second time a couple of hours later when I left the house) the overdrive light (on the arm on the right side) was blinking OFF and I've never seen it do that.
Anything to do with my sound problem? Also, is the overdrive light supposed to be off or on? I NEVER tow anything.

Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
VN760114.MP3 (198.8 KB, 100 views)
VN760115.MP3 (127.3 KB, 69 views)
VN760116.MP3 (106.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-09-2016, 11:39 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
When you accelerate manifold vacuum drops to near zero and when done accelerating manifold vacuum will peak and settle out to a lower level when cruising. Inspect your vacuum lines, particularly the PCV hose.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 AM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Ok, I'm totally stupid so I'm going to the shop. Was going to a local shop first since he also drives an Excursion AND I think his is a v10 too but not sure.

So, tell him to check the vacuum lines? Is he looking for leaks or something?

Should I go to the Ford place instead and have it checked?

I forgot to mention. Twice today (first time right before I wrote this and the second time a couple of hours later when I left the house) the overdrive light (on the arm on the right side) was blinking OFF and I've never seen it do that.
Anything to do with my sound problem? Also, is the overdrive light supposed to be off or on? I NEVER tow anything.

Hey, the mainfold vacuum and all that, is it supposed to make the sound? It didn't the first years I had the truck. I assume it's not and if it's making noise it's 'cause something is going on?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2016, 10:13 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
OD blinking means the PCM sees something wrong with the transmission - BUT it could be a few different things, including the ABS sensor on the rear end.

Bring it to the local shop first, have them check for codes and see what's going on.

It sounds like you have a big vacuum leak somewhere. Should be easy to find.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 PM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
UPDATE!

Today, when driving in D mode, the engine "slipped out of gear" so to speak. It started revving as I was pressing the gas pedal and it wasn't driving the wheels. I had to switch over to 2nd gear

Whatever the dealer says, can I trust them you guys think?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2016, 12:15 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before you drive it again I would check the transmission fluid level first.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 PM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Well, I replied but something happened to my reply so I'll post this again.

They tell me I need a new transmission. Rebuilt one around $3k and 2 year warranty. New one (not sure if it's a used or completely new one) for $4.5 and 3 year warranty.

A buddy of mine who used to have a pretty big shop suggest I try putting some transX in it. He said he had a vehicle that couldn't change into the last two gears but put some transx in it and it's still running fine. What do I have to lose?

Gonna take it to a local guy that does transmissions and has a great reputation to see what he says.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by IttyBittyX
So, tell him to check the vacuum lines? Is he looking for leaks or something?
When I owned a shop it drove me crazy when customers that didn't know how to fix their vehicle (which is fine) would tell me how to do it. If you don't know how to fix it, just tell them what it is doing. That will get you to the solution much quicker and cheaper.

That means there is something wrong with the transmission system. Once the codes are read then we can determine if it has anything to do with the sounds you hear.

The light should be off.

Hey, the mainfold vacuum and all that, is it supposed to make the sound? It didn't the first years I had the truck. I assume it's not and if it's making noise it's 'cause something is going on?
Not unless it's leaking.
Today, when driving in D mode, the engine "slipped out of gear" so to speak. It started revving as I was pressing the gas pedal and it wasn't driving the wheels. I had to switch over to 2nd gear
The engine doesn't have gears to slip out of. The transmission does.

Whatever the dealer says, can I trust them you guys think?
If that dealer is trustworthy, then yes, you can trust them. If they are not trustworthy, then no, you can't trust anything they tell you.

Originally Posted by twigsV10
Before you drive it again I would check the transmission fluid level first.
Absolutely!
They tell me I need a new transmission. Rebuilt one around $3k and 2 year warranty. New one (not sure if it's a used or completely new one) for $4.5 and 3 year warranty.
There are no completely new transmissions available. It's a remanufactured transmission.

A buddy of mine who used to have a pretty big shop suggest I try putting some transX in it. He said he had a vehicle that couldn't change into the last two gears but put some transx in it and it's still running fine. What do I have to lose?
The transmission is what you have to lose. It may or may not be toast, I'd get a second opinion from a trusted independent shop. Many dealers do not have the capability to do repairs, they can only change parts. A transmission is a part.

Gonna take it to a local guy that does transmissions and has a great reputation to see what he says.
Good idea.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 AM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Here's what they gave me from the service place.

Someone suggested pouring in some TransX. My buddy that picked up my X for me said they had three kinds/price levels of TransX.

Any suggestions there?

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2016, 06:19 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
It doesn't sound like your very mechanically inclined.... Please don't take that as an offense. If you feel you are, you might want to see if your transmission has some loose feed bolts.

It really only costs you 2 hours of time, possibly $100 in trans fluid if you don't save your existing fluid.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...wont-work.html

I kept getting mixed opinions and people said the feed bolts were not my problem, but I decided to take a shot and it paid off big.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Absolutely NO offense taken. I couldn't turn two bolts if I had to.

I DID go to a local guy that specializes in transmissions with a very good reputation. I talked to him today. He advised against the TransX. He thought that the dealership comment that it wasn't a solenoid was prolly bull as they were trying to sell me a transmission and he said that IF he had to rebuild it, it would be 1500 bucks. He also said that he would drop the oil pan (I assume) and look and then if he thought it was needed, he would change the solenoid. If that fixes it it's around 100 in labor and around 150 for the part. IF NOT, he said, he'd take the part back and I just pay him labor. Can't get better than that I think. I have an appointment with him on monday so let's see what he says.

Originally Posted by 4x4pwr
It doesn't sound like your very mechanically inclined.... Please don't take that as an offense. If you feel you are, you might want to see if your transmission has some loose feed bolts.

It really only costs you 2 hours of time, possibly $100 in trans fluid if you don't save your existing fluid.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...wont-work.html

I kept getting mixed opinions and people said the feed bolts were not my problem, but I decided to take a shot and it paid off big.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:22 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
I would HIGHLY recommend him checking the feed bolts, if he is pulling the transmission pan anyhow to check the solenoid. It should only take him a half hour longer and they are a common thing to back out on these trucks. Possibly send him the picture of the feed bolts or show him on a phone so he knows exactly what you mean.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 PM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
I don't know what they are but there's no doubt he knows so I'll let him know. Thanks

Old 10-24-2016, 01:33 AM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Alright, I'm back after having the local transmission guy check it out.

First, he did not know what feed bolts are. Maybe he did but not by that name.

Anyway, he said he was gonna drop the pan and check the oil and take it from there. I guess when doing that, the oil didn't look too bad so he changed the solenoid (replaced with a used one) and the accumulation pack and drove it a bit and said it seemed to run better.

He came to my house to pick me up and as soon as I took it out to drive it, it started doing the same things again, at which point he refunded all my money. Kudos to him for that. While we were out, the overdrive started blinking again but his code reader couldn't read it so he sent me to another guy with a more advanced reader. He got some kind of error so we have no idea why the lights blinking or rather, what the computer says.

So, here's what it does. When it changes gears, the belt (whatever belt that is) slips. The shift point is too high...when it goes from 1st to 2nd it shifts at around 2500 to 3000 rpm instead of 1500 to 2000. It's falling out of gear and at some points, it won't shift.

Don't suppose there is someone in the Charlotte, NC area that is really knowledgeable that could take it for a ride?

The previous owner rides like I do, not aggressive or fast at all and no towing.

Most of his and my driving is start and stop, very short distances.

Thanks

Quick Reply: V10 (Excursion) making weird noise and acting strange