Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

16 F150 DIY Bedliner (Raptor Liner)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16 F150 DIY Bedliner (Raptor Liner)

Just wanted to share my experience. I finally made a decision on what I was going to do for a bed liner. This past weekend I sprayed my own bed liner in using U-Pol Raptor Liner. I wrestled with what to do, do I go to line-x or rhino linings and have one done, do I buy a drop in liner, or bed rug, or bed tread. My father sprayed his own bed liner in his 2015 Super Duty. He used Al's Liner for his and it came out very nice. I wasn't a huge fan of the texture of his but it did come out very nice. He uses his truck as a truck he tows a fifth wheel and used it pretty heavily and after a year and a half his has held up very well and still looks like it did when new. Line-x wanted $549 plus tax and Rhino linings wanted $499 plus tax. I didn't really like the traditional drop in liner and for the price of bed rug and bed tread although they are nice I would rather spend the extra and get the spray in than go that route. I started on Saturday around 10am and I prepped the bed until 8pm that day. I then sprayed on 3 coats of raptor liner waiting an hour flash time in between coats. I sprayed more material on the floor, wheel wells, front wall of the bed, and the tailgate than I did on the side walls. I followed the directions to the letter and I think it came out just like it was professionally done. My father was getting mad at me because I was very OCD and **** with this process. I wanted this to come out perfect. If I was going to spend the time and effort to do this I wouldn't be satisfied unless it was perfect. I took pictures of all 3 coats and the finished product. I will make another post showing the coats. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:48 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
1st Coat

1st Coat on Bed and Tailgate:

Attached Images        
Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
2nd Coat

2nd Coat on Bed and Tailgate:

Attached Images        
Old 10-05-2016, 03:51 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
3rd Coat

3rd Coat on Bed and Tailgate:

Attached Images        
Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Finished Product

What it looks like finished. Just pulled out of the garage after sitting for a day inside.

Attached Images     
Old 10-05-2016, 04:10 PM
F150'94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm impressed!!! Great job!!!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Looks very nice. For me, the time and effort spent would make going to the Line X dealer worth it for me. I wonder how well it resists UV damage and how easy it is to repair in the event it gets torn or gouged.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
That looks really, really nice. In fact, I would say that I'm impressed. Very good job dhoff!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM
lowlander
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also just did my own liner job

As the OP said, preparation is the key. I am retired so have the time to do such things. It did take several hours from start to finish. If I were still working, I would have had it LineXed!!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Thank you for all the responses I appreciate the feedback. Going into doing this myself I was pretty nervous scuffing up the bed of my brand new truck didn't give me the greatest feeling but I don't have a ton of money to spend on accessories and tried to weigh out all my options as to which way I was going to go and how I was going to spend my money as far as accessories go. The list I had was a good set of floor mats front and back, mudflaps, bedliner, and tonneau cover. I don't use my truck bed that aggressively so I researched and researched the bedliner subject and decided to go this route. I found that everwhere I looked U-Pol raptor liner got very good reviews. U-Pol is very well known so that made me feel better. I watched a bunch of videos about it and I was able to buy it locally from a small local auto body supply shop and they raved about it. They said they would have no issue spraying that as a bedliner in any truck. Plus my local dealer does spray ins in house and uses raptor liner. The prep work was the hardest part of it all. I am sure that I took it further than most people would. I know I went further with my prep than my dad did when he did his. I spent all day scuffing the bed and making sure I got everything scuffed well enough. I also sprayed the entire bed down with U-pol adhesive promoter before I sprayed the liner I wanted to make sure I got maximum adhesion. I am really happy with how it came out and think it looks like it was professionally sprayed in. I cant say how it will hold up UV wise or durability wise. I will try to keep this updated as to durability and take some pics yearly to show how it is wearing. As far as how it would be to repair. I actually think it wouldn't be to bad. Locally I can buy Raptor Liner by the individual bottle and it was super easy to apply. I would say you could just mask off the damaged areas spray some adhesion promoter on them and shoot 3 new coats. Sorry for the long winded response. If anyone is ever in the Pittsburgh pa area and wants to see it in person let me know. I would be happy to show people how it came out in person. I think the one thing that you cant tell from the pictures that I like the most is the texture its a rough hard texture more like a traditional spray in bedliner and not as rubbery as a lot of the DIY ones. I am extremely happy and would recommend Raptor liner to anyone.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Nice job! Money well saved.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:47 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very impressive. Sounds like a fun project as long as you have the time. How did it go when you were pealing away the masking around the bolts in the bed? Did you get a clean cut between the bolts and the liner? I ask because I had to remove two of my brackets that were covered in the Ford liner and I started to pull liner off the bed.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Originally Posted by onug
Very impressive. Sounds like a fun project as long as you have the time. How did it go when you were pealing away the masking around the bolts in the bed? Did you get a clean cut between the bolts and the liner? I ask because I had to remove two of my brackets that were covered in the Ford liner and I started to pull liner off the bed.
Thank you very much. It was actually a fun project overall especially when it's done and you see what all your time and hard work turned into. As far as around the bed bolts. I had nothing peel off around any of the places I taped off. Only issue I ran into around the bed bolts was the last 2 towards the front of the bed had a small spot where the tape was stuck to part of the bed which caused a small spot by each bolt to not get any liner. What I did was I watched for the spots before everything dried and I actually put a 2x10 a cross the bed and layed on it and took a small paint brush and took some liner and touched those spots up. Other than that every other bolt I was lucky and they came out perfect no spots unsprayed and no liner on the bolts. Everything else I took completely out and waited a full 24hrs before putting back in. When my dad did his he sprayed over everything. I just wasn't a fan of that I want to be able to remove things if needed and I think it looks cleaner if you take everything out before you spray.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed. I've done Line-X in the past and they've taken out the mounting bolts so they be accessed in the future. Sounds like all the prep work paid off...which seems to be the secret with any of these spray-in liners.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:55 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Originally Posted by onug
Agreed. I've done Line-X in the past and they've taken out the mounting bolts so they be accessed in the future. Sounds like all the prep work paid off...which seems to be the secret with any of these spray-in liners.
Well I don't expect this liner to compare to a line-x just because I believe line-x is thicker than what I sprayed. I did spray on 3 very nice coats but don't expect it to be a line-x and I am not usually using my truck bed aggressively so I think this should hold up well for a long long time. I guess I will see how well my prep work was done as time goes on haha. I know that I did alot of prep and it looks great right now hopefully it holds up well to both UV damage and just using the bed in general. I will update after I use it for something that would be a test and also I will try to update yearly how it is wearing. That's the one thing that isn't out there anywhere online is people updating the durability of this stuff so I will try to update that for everyone.

Quick Reply: 16 F150 DIY Bedliner (Raptor Liner)