Integrated trailer brakes active when truck not running

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Jansarchie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated trailer brakes active when truck not running

Hello, very confused. When 5th wheel trailer hitched to truck trailer brakes pulsate on and off when truck not running. If trailer not connected to truck hitch but I plug in brakes from trailer they don't pulsate. Shouldn't brakes stay off completely unless truck running and brake activated? Took to dealer who states nothing wrong, this does not seem right to me!

Old 10-05-2016, 03:06 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
Please post truck and RV info.... Year - make - model of each. Can't understand how you can have RV brakes if they are NOT connected to the truck?

Old 10-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Jansarchie
New User
Sorry, 2012 f250 has integrated trailer brakes, when we hook up our gooseneck horse trailer 2013 and plug the 7way plug from trailer into truck receptacle the brakes on trailer start pulsating on/off. This occurs at a standstill, when truck is running and when off with truck key in the auxiliary position. dealer checked truck and trailer and said nothing is wrong that trailer brake controller in truck is always sending a trace voltage to trailer. My question then is it normal to hear the clicking/pulsating back at the wheels of trailer?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:17 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
No, trailer brakes should not be pulsing. all the brake controller send a pulsating trace, but is is very weak and should not be capable of activating the brakes. If the truck is doing it, can you actually feel the brakes if you try to move the trailer i.e does it jerk the truck? And, when you hear the clicking are any of the trailer lights active?

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 05:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
what about a different trailer? Do you have the same symptom's?

Old 10-06-2016, 05:33 AM
Jansarchie
New User
Thanks for both troubleshooting ideas, will check on later today.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 AM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Jansarchie
Hello, very confused. When 5th wheel trailer hitched to truck trailer brakes pulsate on and off when truck not running. If trailer not connected to truck hitch but I plug in brakes from trailer they don't pulsate. Shouldn't brakes stay off completely unless truck running and brake activated? Took to dealer who states nothing wrong, this does not seem right to me!
If I'm understanding they don't pulse if not hooked to the hitch but plugged in, that means that the trailer is trying to ground through the hitch not the ground wire at the plug. You have to have a solid trailer ground or all sorts for strange things happen. Whenever you plug in the truck will send a signal to see if you have brakes but with a bad or weak ground it will keep on trying.

Denny

Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Have you pulled this trailer with another truck before? Is the truck or trailer new (to you) ?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Jansarchie
New User
[QUOTE=BPofMD;16626069]Have you pulled this trailer with another truck before? Is the truck or trailer new (to you) ?[/QUO

Truck is new to me, had 2010 f150 with aftermarket trailer brakes and we never had this problem with my trailer. Will unhitch trailer from truck to see if the clicking/pulse continues.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Jansarchie
New User
Just physically unhooked trailer from truck hitch, plugged in 7way from trailer to truck receptacle. Started truck no clicking at trailer, hit truck trailer brakes and verified brake working. Waited with truck running for click/ pulsating at trailer never happened. So why does the noise happen when trailer physically hitched to truck ? I am very frustrated and angry with my ford dealer for telling me nothing is wrong...what could be going on?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jansarchie
Just physically unhooked trailer from truck hitch, plugged in 7way from trailer to truck receptacle. Started truck no clicking at trailer, hit truck trailer brakes and verified brake working. Waited with truck running for click/ pulsating at trailer never happened. So why does the noise happen when trailer physically hitched to truck ? I am very frustrated and angry with my ford dealer for telling me nothing is wrong...what could be going on?
So you have established your seven pin is working and your brake controller is working. That means your trailer is picking up a pulse when hitched from a power source on your truck or you have some type of grounding issue.

But, the first thing you want to do is verify the problem reappears as soon as you hitch back up. Does it?

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 03:00 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

In fact, hook up to the truck with it still plugged in and no "clicking". Wha happens?

Old 10-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Jansarchie
New User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
In fact, hook up to the truck with it still plugged in and no "clicking". Wha happens?
Clicking! Just got back from a trailer/rV repair shop, he is baffled. He did verify that clicking is normal for the integrated brakes but can't figure out why it doesn't occur when trailer is off the truck hitch. We also tested my trailer hitched on my truck but plugged 7 way into his dodge truck which has integrated brakes and got clicking. Raised my trailer off hitch on my truck, left plugged into his and no clicking!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Jansarchie
New User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
If I'm understanding they don't pulse if not hooked to the hitch but plugged in, that means that the trailer is trying to ground through the hitch not the ground wire at the plug. You have to have a solid trailer ground or all sorts for strange things happen. Whenever you plug in the truck will send a signal to see if you have brakes but with a bad or weak ground it will keep on trying.

Denny

Will call trailer repair tomorrow and run this info by him! Thanks!!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:41 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Try this. Just take a jumper cable and get a good connection between your truck frame and trailer so you have a good temporary ground. What happens when you do that?

Steve

Quick Reply: Integrated trailer brakes active when truck not running