6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High Pressure oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:23 AM
JLT95
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Pressure oil issues

Ok so I bought recently a 2004 Ford F350 with a 6.0l diesel in it (early 04 sticker manufacture date is 08/03). this truck has 206,000 miles on it and when I bought it the truck acted like it didn't want to run no missing but no turbo spool up and no power at all. well when I got home with it I had shut it off (it had gone up to normal operating temp) and came back out a few minutes later and it wouldn't start again (hot no start). well I got doing some research and ended up replacing the following items on the truck. fuel filters both of them the one on the frame and in the fuel bowl, also got a new fuel module that the lift pump and filter sit in, replaced the ipr valve brand new, put in the 05-07 style icp sensor new, FICM 48 volt is also new. it still is not running right. right now it is very very hard starting when it is cold and sometimes will start if dead cold and it will just idle but if you push the accelerator it dies and if you put it in gear it also dies. And before I forget I put a new turbo on it because I found out that the bearings in the old one were shot. this truck does not look like it has had the valve covers off or the cover for the hpop ever in its life. I was suspecting the hpop its self since it is an early 04 and the pumps according to my research were most of the problem on them. also I took that new ipr valve out a while ago and made sure the screen was clean on it. when the truck is running, the ipr stays around 40-50 % ish and icp is up at a little over 800-850 psi when idling, FICM is staying at 47.5v. any help thoughts or ideas would be super helpful. thank you in advance.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:06 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Start with an air test, numerous threads here how to do them. Don't keep throwing parts at it in the attempt to fix it. You will have better luck landing a feather on a aircraft carrier under full steam.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JLT95
Ok so I bought recently a 2004 Ford F350 with a 6.0l diesel in it (early 04 sticker manufacture date is 08/03). this truck has 206,000 miles on it and when I bought it the truck acted like it didn't want to run no missing but no turbo spool up and no power at all. well when I got home with it I had shut it off (it had gone up to normal operating temp) and came back out a few minutes later and it wouldn't start again (hot no start). well I got doing some research and ended up replacing the following items on the truck. fuel filters both of them the one on the frame and in the fuel bowl, also got a new fuel module that the lift pump and filter sit in, replaced the ipr valve brand new, put in the 05-07 style icp sensor new, FICM 48 volt is also new. it still is not running right. right now it is very very hard starting when it is cold and sometimes will start if dead cold and it will just idle but if you push the accelerator it dies and if you put it in gear it also dies. And before I forget I put a new turbo on it because I found out that the bearings in the old one were shot. this truck does not look like it has had the valve covers off or the cover for the hpop ever in its life. I was suspecting the hpop its self since it is an early 04 and the pumps according to my research were most of the problem on them. also I took that new ipr valve out a while ago and made sure the screen was clean on it. when the truck is running, the ipr stays around 40-50 % ish and icp is up at a little over 800-850 psi when idling, FICM is staying at 47.5v. any help thoughts or ideas would be super helpful. thank you in advance.
We have a winner......

You need at least 500 psi of oil pressure to start the truck, what pressure are you getting when it won't start? Is it taking a long time to build to a starting pressure?

As Mike said above, air tests would reveal leaks that could cause it to slowly build pressure or a bad pump. But if its running an IPR of 40-50% at idle... you have a HUGE leak or a bad pump. Remove the valve covers, use the remote start wire on the passenger fender well and watch the oil spew forth. Don't spend another dime on a part you don't need!

If you don't see that leak, it's the pump! 206,000 miles...it's the pump, no power, dies when you put it in gear, no hot start, no cold start, hard start... you were right..... it's the pump.

Adrenaline pump... stay away from the Ford remans unless you want to do it again.

You came for some advise and confirmation... Welcome to the site.