1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

4R70W shuddering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 10:38 AM
CM113
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W shuddering?

did you check to make sure that the bolts were tight on the shift valve body, one of the guys i know had a shuddering problem , he asked a ford mechanic, and they told him that it some time happens, and it would cause a shuddering. so next time you want to change the oil since you are over full now , check the bolts

Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 PM
eatart
New User
'96 f150 xlt transmission shuddering

I know the year of my truck is earlier than this thread but I found the answer here so I'll post the problem/remedy to help.

My transmission started doing the "shudder" that is described by you guys here. It would happen at speeds of 50 through 70. The same feel and noise as if you are running along the "hey, you are drifting onto the shoulder (ridges)" that are on the interstates here in NC. I drained the transmission and torque converter, dropped and cleaned the pan and magnet. Replaced the filter and gasket and refilled with new Mercon V. I simply followed the instructions by Mark Kovalsky that is linked above and I can not replicate the noise or vibration now. It's GREAT! Thank you.

I have the 4R70W transmission.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Trevor1
Senior User
I know this is crazy sounding, but as a last resort for my torque converter problems a ford technician told be to put limited slip friction modifier in the fluid, 2 years and 35,000 miles later the transmission and torque converter are still working great. The friction modifier really works.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 PM
eatart
New User
transmission shudder

Thanks Trevor1, I will keep the modifier in mind should the shudder return. So far draining, replacing and new filter have fixed my transmission's shudder. I did discover that I only removed 2/3 of the old fluid so I must have stopped too soon when I was draining. I'll keep better track next time.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor1
I know this is crazy sounding, but as a last resort for my torque converter problems a ford technician told be to put limited slip friction modifier in the fluid, 2 years and 35,000 miles later the transmission and torque converter are still working great. The friction modifier really works.
Shudder Fixx is a product that I was able to get at a NAPA store...similiar stuff to LS additive. It has kept the shudder out of my 4R70W in an E150 van for a year and a half... Try the LS additive or Shudder Fixx before thinking about any trans work. I would say that fluid changes at 30k miles or so are a good idea.

George

Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Tennesseestorm
Freshman User
I have a 1995 Lincoln Town Car with the 4R70W transmission and I have the shudder as well at 184,300 miles. Mainly seems when its trying to shift into overdrive. When on the highway, its fine, but in town, its constantly trying to shift into lockup mode. I have read if its not gone like that too long, it can normally be cured.

On the Lincoln sites I was told to use Mercon V fluid and that should cure it. We will see. I was told that if the shudder didnt stop within a few hundred miles then to use the Lubegard in red bottle and that should take care of it. Lubegard is also the maker of the "shudder fixx", but I was told I should use the Lubegard in the red bottle first. I looked and it does say even on it that it eliminates torque converter shudder. I am hoping the new Mercon V (I am draining converter too) will cure it. I hope I dont need a new converter because honestly I cant afford it right now.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The miss as you have discribed it is a bad coil.
Reason: under light throttle load in OD, the EGR is open. This results in a very lean mixture the bad coil can't fire so shows up as a miss or stutter.
As soon as the trans down shiifs and more throttle is applied closing the EGR, the cylinder with the bad coil will fire the mix again (it's now richer).
The coil has shorted turns causing low output.
Since it is not a hard fault, no code will show or CEL lamp.
The computer see the miss but cancels the temporary memory store of it as soon as the miss goes away until the next time it occurs, then it all happens again. No code no CEL.
Finding which one it is is the major issue.
Usually a plug will not act this way on a regular basis as above.
But, putting new plugs in in place of well aged ones may stop or affect the issue for a while because the new plugs are easier to fire and take less voltage until they get some time on them and your right back to the original issue of a bad coil again.
Coils suffer from engine heat over the long term.
Good luck.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
97chevy eater.
New User
i have sorta the same issue on my 97 f150 4.6l w/4r70w but the tranny was rebouilt at 95,000, an i have 108000 now an it has a new torque converter too. mine is when im in 3rd at about 45% load feels like a miss but i have fairly new plugs an wires put on at 75000, im wonderin if it could be a coil pack i have the 2 coil set up 4 plugs each. anyone ever had an issue with them?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM
eatart
New User

Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
The miss as you have discribed it is a bad coil.
Reason: under light throttle load in OD, the EGR is open. This results in a very lean mixture the bad coil can't fire so shows up as a miss or stutter.
As soon as the trans down shiifs and more throttle is applied closing the EGR, the cylinder with the bad coil will fire the mix again (it's now richer).
The coil has shorted turns causing low output.
Since it is not a hard fault, no code will show or CEL lamp.
The computer see the miss but cancels the temporary memory store of it as soon as the miss goes away until the next time it occurs, then it all happens again. No code no CEL.
Finding which one it is is the major issue.
Usually a plug will not act this way on a regular basis as above.
But, putting new plugs in in place of well aged ones may stop or affect the issue for a while because the new plugs are easier to fire and take less voltage until they get some time on them and your right back to the original issue of a bad coil again.
Coils suffer from engine heat over the long term.
Good luck.
Bluegrass 7,
Are you saying that the shudder I'm referring to and that I believe is coming from the transmission could be stuttering of the engine due to bad coils and missing spark? My stuttering transmission is back so the oil change and stutter-be-gone did not last much time at all.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Tennesseestorm
Freshman User
I have purchased the Mercon V (14 quarts), new filter and some Lubegard (in the red bottle) and HOPE it cures the shudder in my 95 Town Car when I get it changed out. Otherwise this tranny shifts like butter.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
eatart, yes a coil, based on the speed range you gave and the driving discription and for the reason I explained about what goes on during that time.
Shudder was an issue years ago but not to much today because it have been largely solved by design and fluid spec changes.
Too many jump on the transmission as the source of a missfire by mistaking it for shudder that does not feel the same.
Shudder is the alternate grip and release of the lockup clutch in the converter.
There are other faults in a trans that can act much the same but not just 45-60 mph and under light throttle you discribe, and cause a converter slip and not under heavey throttle loads.
Again, the air/fuel ratio is very lean at about 20 to 1 ratio by design in OD at the speeds you gave. A bad coil that can't fire the lean mix results in a rough type miss/skip you feel. That's not shudder.
Better it be a coil than a transmission.
Good luck.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM
eatart
New User

10-4 on the coil instead of transmission. Thank you very much for the alternate possible shudder cause. I'll check the coil(s) first.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Tennesseestorm
Freshman User
Wow, just dropped the pan on my 95 TC a little while ago... still had the plastic plug down in there (which I was told was a sign that the pan had never been dropped), so I think the fluid was original @ 184K! No metal or anything in the pan, but the fluid was brown and smelled bad. Hopefully the new fluid (Mercon V) will eliminate the shudder issue.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
zamunda
Senior User
Hi I was just wondering if you can feel this TC shudder while the truck is in park. I think the TC spins in park while hitting the gas, but would it produce the shudder? I have what I think might be the TC shudder, but I can get mine (99 5.4L) to do it in park as well. Does it at around 950rpm and 1900rpm.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Let me ask the question to you!
In park, is the transmission trying to move the truck? If no----
Can't be the source of shudder.
You have a missfire.
Shudder is usually the converter lock up disc slipping that only happens in gear at road speeds, under load.
The converter is not under any loading in park.
Lockup usually occurrs at a about a steady speed in third or in OD.
OD is also a seperate function.

Quick Reply: 4R70W shuddering?