General Automotive Discussion
View Poll Results: What do you think about rolling coal?
I love it and see no reason for drivers to be ticketed.
7.14%
I hate it and I think that drivers should be ticketed.
50.00%
I dont like it, but I dont think that it should be a ticketable offense.
28.57%
I dont care so long as they dont roll coal into my vehicle.
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Should rolling coal be illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Patrick R.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: Should rolling coal be illegal?

Rolling coal has become a popular trend in the diesel truck community, but seems to enrage some others who oppose the practice.

For our newest Question of the Week, we want to know where you stand on the topic, so make your pick in the poll above and elaborate on your views below!

Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Rolling coal serves to add pollution, **** people off and show the driver's ignorance.
Just one old man's opinion. Yours may vary.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The more smoke the more power I have. I have well over 700HP. I have Edge stacked with Smarty stacked with Banks stacked with EFI. Stacked with stacks and stacked with cold air intake stacked. And did you see my tow mirrors flipped up?

I used to wonder who all the low-IQ idiots in town were. Turns out the song of their people is bigfoot farting in a large trash can for a very long time.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:48 PM
chromehound
New User
IMO rolling coal for the sake of rolling coal should be a ticket/fine but if you let out a puff taking off or shifting or going uphill with a load shouldn't be ticketable unless it's being done to excess (ex: lugging the motor).

The old saying outta sight outta mind would go a long ways to calming down folks on diesel emissions.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:20 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I was behind a fella in a GM D-max one time and he started rolling coal on a busy two lane road. My wife said "that truck is sick" to which I replied, "the truck is fine, the driver is sick".

Old 10-01-2016, 08:14 AM
hoyas76
5th Wheeling
I voted for #4. I look at this about the same way as motorcycles and muscle cars with strait pipes...knock yourself out. Have fun making as much smoke as you want. Just don't be an a-hole about it. You aren't impressing anyone, and they're not enjoying sucking your smoke into their a/c

Old 10-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Those with vehicles modified specifically to give off a lot of smoke should be forced to get a facefull from their own pipe. Maybe then they'll understand why nobody else likes it.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:34 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I rarely find something worthy of the word hate, but I'm not a fan of the smoke. I wish there were a few more moderate choices.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
come to New Jersey and try that. it will cost you $5,000 for a first offense.
rolling coal makes about as much sense as throwing kittens out of the window of a moving car to punish your children because they did not take care of the kittens.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I am with ford six. It is their money their truck but they need to sniff that crap. You would think the the big garbage can at the end of the exhaust would hold it.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick R.
Rolling coal has become a popular trend in the diesel truck community, but seems to enrage some others who oppose the practice.

For our newest Question of the Week, we want to know where you stand on the topic, so make your pick in the poll above and elaborate on your views below!
Im very surprised at the number of people who say it should be ticketable. I believe that in certain situations, it should be. When you are in bumper to bumper traffic, its frustrating, and could be dangerous. But if you are towing a monster trailer, and it starts smoking, I really wont care. And to all the people who roll coal, you are making the road VERY dangerous for motorcycle riders. Not only can people not see them, but it makes the road very slick. Just my $0.02

Old 10-02-2016, 11:12 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
there is a big difference between closing down a road with thick clouds of black soot just to because you drive a dodge with a cummings that makes 500000 HP while getting 2000 MPG, and pushing slight smoke because you are hauling a heavy load up a hill.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Illegal in calif.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Collision
Im very surprised at the number of people who say it should be ticketable. I believe that in certain situations, it should be. When you are in bumper to bumper traffic, its frustrating, and could be dangerous. But if you are towing a monster trailer, and it starts smoking, I really wont care. And to all the people who roll coal, you are making the road VERY dangerous for motorcycle riders. Not only can people not see them, but it makes the road very slick. Just my $0.02
A haze while pulling a hard grade is fine. Any more and you're just pushing the EGTs into dangerous territory, and wasting fuel.
Mechanical engines will give a bit of smoke before the boost starts coming up, but that can be limited by various devices. It takes some tuning to get the right balance between tip in response and low smoke levels though.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:56 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I think we all know right from wrong, truth from fiction. A heavy loaded truck blowing a bit of smoke is one thing but a smart *** throttle jockey rolling coal is an assault.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Should rolling coal be illegal?