Sponsored by: Moser

The Supercab gets new seat belts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 PM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
The Supercab gets new seat belts

I've never been comfortable staring at that hard steering wheel while buckled in with the lap belts so I figured it was time to put some 3 point belts in.

I went with Wesco's retractable universal belts in black with the 20" floppy end and the plain buckle. I kinda wish I'd gone with the retro metal buckle but the plain ones work. I also selected the hardware kit as it comes with all of the bolts and the upper mounting plate since the truck didn't have provisions for 3 point belts.

Wesco wants you to drill a 1 1/2" hole in the sheet metal just below the upper mount location. I couldn't bring myself to do that so I dropped the mount down from above the head liner with a piece of string very firmly tied to one of the holes intended for pop riveting the mount in place.

You can see the string along with the template that I made to get the hole spacing correct first try here,

Planning ahead

I didn't cut the string off the roll until the mount was riveted in place so I wouldn't lose it.

I sat in the seat and fiddled with the belt to determine where to install the mount. I decided on 10" down from the first bend in the sheet metal where the head liner fits and in the part of the B pillar facing the center of the cab. That seemed to match the locations in both the Crown Vic and the HHR. It also made dropping it down easier as it was a straight shot and the shape of the pillar made it easy to get it lined up with the holes.

Here I've taped the template in place to mark the holes,

Marking the holes

I drilled all 3 holes with a 1/8" bit then opened the center hole up with a 1/2" on the drivers side then remembered I have a step bit and used it for the 1/2" hole on the passenger side. You can see the string in the passenger side pic.

That's ugly!

Verses

Much better!

I mounted the retractor using one of the hardware kit angle brackets and bolts. The fixed end needed a hole drilled through the floor. I drilled the hole through the same crossmember the the retractor bolts to.

View from above,

Dirty floor mat...

The floppy ends replaced the original belts but since the hole was too small for the original bolt I used one of the kits bolts and 2 washers the space the ends apart so that the belting isn't crushed when it's tightened down.

Covers reinstalled,

Much cleaner floor mat

I'm happy with how the install went and how the belts fit. I feel much more comfortable behind the wheel too. The total install may have taken just over 3 hours but I like to explore so a more determined installer could do it in under 2 pretty easily.

I would like to put non retractable 3 point belts in the rear and would like to replace the front center lap with a 3 point but I've no idea where to put the upper mount so will probably just give up as I rarely have passengers anyhow.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:20 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job, I did my standard very similar but used a piece of wire instead of string. I installed mine so my daughter could be safe riding in it.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for documenting that so well - I'm sure others will benefit from it. Reps coming!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very clean install! Having the shoulder belts gives great peace of mind when driving these older trucks. Considering the center lap belt change, perhaps you could put the retractor at the ground position and run that up, over and then through the seat for mount? That way the belt will always be there. Does give me an idea for my SC, now. I may have to make this a 3 person ride again. Great job!

Last edited by 84espy; 09-30-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Correct grammar
Old 09-30-2016, 12:15 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
Good write up...thanks for taking the time to post.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 AM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Semi-shamless bump since this topic seems to be hot right now plus the comment that I'm kinda wishing that I'd installed the upper mount an inch or 2 higher, the belt sits on my should and feels like it wants to roll off.

Michael

Old 06-18-2020, 01:19 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
I bought the kit from seatbeltsplus. I think it is supposed to fit 47-67 year models, or close to that. I like the idea the member had of mounting the return coil and the other belt end in diff. locations.

Name:  y2jX6r0.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  448.4 KB

You have to remove the ceiling liner to get the plate behind the sheet metal.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:31 AM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
I liked the idea of using different mounting points to try to spread the load out in case the belts ever got used for their intended purpose. And yes, I did have to pull the head liner down. I tried to get it out of the truck but SuperCab head liners are huge and I didn't want to bend the brittle old fiber board too much as there are no replacements available. That made it fun to work around.

Michael

Old 04-09-2021, 03:52 PM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Shameless bump, it’s project season.

Michael

Old 04-10-2021, 01:09 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by lasermike
Shameless bump, it’s project season.

Michael
I installed new belts in my 75 f250 standard cab some time ago. I found that in retrospect I should have installed the shoulder harness return only slightly below the top of the door. It is too low where I mounted it, so the retractor is fully wound and leaves a bit of slop dangling loose. I would say to mount yours higher than you think is needed. Good luck.

Attachment 280108

Old 04-10-2021, 03:06 PM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
I installed new belts in my 75 f250 standard cab some time ago. I found that in retrospect I should have installed the shoulder harness return only slightly below the top of the door. It is too low where I mounted it, so the retractor is fully wound and leaves a bit of slop dangling loose. I would say to mount yours higher than you think is needed. Good luck.

i agree. Both due to belt length and the belt feels like it wants to slip off my shoulder. It doesn’t but it is a distraction I don’t need in an old truck. Higher up won’t really change the angle but would keep it off the top of the shoulder, making it feel more secure.

Michael

Old 04-22-2022, 05:05 PM
best0186
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer

This photo is from a standard cab pickup, correct? Do you have any photos or guidance of what you did to attach the retractor to the floor? Did you have to drill a new hole for the retractor and use the original hole for the other anchor point?
Mainly, I’m wondering if you had to drill through the thick part of the floor, or located the retractor further back?
Thanks.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:14 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by best0186
This photo is from a standard cab pickup, correct? Do you have any photos or guidance of what you did to attach the retractor to the floor? Did you have to drill a new hole for the retractor and use the original hole for the other anchor point?
Mainly, I’m wondering if you had to drill through the thick part of the floor, or located the retractor further back?
Thanks.
I believe I drilled a hole and did not use the oem hole. I placed the retractor on the small step on the cab floor. I placed a plate underneath to add some strength. Mine is a standard cab, f250, 1975. In hindsight, I would raise the post to nearly the top of the window, and a couple of inches further toward the rear of the cab--away from the door.