Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Dodge V10 is History

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Habitat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge V10 is History

I read on another message board that Dodge was no longer producing their V10. I went to Dodge's website and built my own and sure enough, it's no longer an option.

I guess we now have the only V10's on the block. I'm kinda sad. As much as I like my Ford, the Dodge was a nice motor too. I think gas prices are killing the big block pickups.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:31 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge V10 is History

Originally posted by Habitat
I read on another message board that Dodge was no longer producing their V10. I went to Dodge's website and built my own and sure enough, it's no longer an option.

I guess we now have the only V10's on the block. I'm kinda sad. As much as I like my Ford, the Dodge was a nice motor too. I think gas prices are killing the big block pickups.
We won't be lonely long, Porsche's new GT-10 is a 5 liter, 650 hp V-10. The new BMW M5 has a V-10, the new Volkswagen has a V-10, 5 liter turbo diesel. The V-10 is an engine who's time has come. You can make more horsepower with the same or less cubic inches by going to more cylinders and smaller pistons. Look at Ferrari, they've been putting out 4.0 liter-ish V-12's with big power for years. That is sad, re; the Dodge V-10, but they never really marketted it very well, if at all, and it remained unchanged for all the years it was out, 300 hp and 450 ft lbs. Basically, it got booorrrriiinnnnggggggg,,,,,,, It was a very unexciting motor, ever drive one ? Other than the 63 Rambler 6 cyl exhaust note there was nothing unusual or exciting about it, it was just 'there'. Dodge obviously hung it's hat in the Cummins arena, I would too I guess if I were them, it's what, $5 or $6 grand extra ? And almost every Dodge p/u you see has the Cummins, or the 360 V8 in them. The RV'ers liked the V-10, but not many others. That exhaust note was enough to make me run, it was awful. So is the Viper, but I could overlook the funky exhaust note for the Viper, haha.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:27 PM
swexlin
New User
Dodge V10 is History

I had a '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10, and I loved it. It was Dodge's idiocy that killed this engine.

When it came out in '94, it was, and remained for several model years, the MOST HP and torque, gas OR diesel, available in a pickup. At the time, GM's TBI 454 was only rated at 230/385, and the Ford 460 was about 235/400. The Cummins then was 160/400.

But, you are right - Dodge didn't market it right. And the dealers, for some reason, HATED it. When I ordered mine in '97, my dealer looked at me like I had 3 heads. Plus, except for a 10 HP boost in the 99 model year, it remained unchanged, while the turbodiesels way surpassed it in torque, and now horsepower. It still was king of the gassers (no offense to you Ford V10 guys, until '01, when GM's 8.1 blew it away.

I loved it. Very reliable, and very powerful. But Dodge let it languish.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:06 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Dodge V10 is History

The VW "V10" is really a W-10... the cylinders are staggered, probably that magic 18 degrees that we have our crankshaft rod journals split at.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Habitat
Junior User
Dodge V10 is History

Originally posted by ken04
We won't be lonely long, Porsche's new GT-10 is a 5 liter, 650 hp V-10. The new BMW M5 has a V-10, the new Volkswagen has a V-10, 5 liter turbo diesel. The V-10 is an engine who's time has come.
I guess I need to get out of the closet a little more. I didn't realize anyone else produced V10's.

You can make more horsepower with the same or less cubic inches by going to more cylinders and smaller pistons. Look at Ferrari, they've been putting out 4.0 liter-ish V-12's with big power for years. That is sad, re; the Dodge V-10, but they never really marketted it very well, if at all, and it remained unchanged for all the years it was out, 300 hp and 450 ft lbs. Basically, it got booorrrriiinnnnggggggg,,,,,,, It was a very unexciting motor, ever drive one ?
The 450 ft lbs and 300 horsepower are what made it exciting for me. But I'll admit that was about it in the exiciting department. I owned a 2500 with the V10 for a short period, but left it because I didn't like the automatic transmission it had. I don't remember what year it was, probably a 95 or 96. It was used when I bought it. Had I been able to find one with a stick I'd probably own one. I was told that a V10 w/manual was very rare. I was only able to find 5 dodge V10's while shopping around and sure enough they all had auto's. And they all resented having their torque converters locked up. A lot of people don't care for the soft shift of the Ford, but I like how it gives a good amount throttle before the torque converter lets loose and drops a gear.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:42 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Dodge V10 is History

Originally posted by swexlin
... It still was king of the gassers (no offense to you Ford V10 guys, until '01, when GM's 8.1 blew it away.

Oh ouch... Quick, someone remove the knife from the back of the V10 Forum.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:57 AM
swexlin
New User
Dodge V10 is History

I wanted the NV4500 5-speed behind mine too. But V10s were hard to find - I am in suburban Philly, and my dealer was only ablr to find 3 in the entire Mid Atlantic - 1 of them was a 5 speed, and it was sold.

I wanted 4:10s with limited slip, and there was 1. My dealer had to make a trade with a dealer in Maryland to get it. My automatic was OK - never had any problems with it, except for a cooler line blowing on Super Bowl Sunday '99.

Required a tow, but my dealer had me back on the road the next morning.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Oaktree
Senior User
Dodge V10 is History

I had lookad into purchasing a Dodge truck(2003)and searched all over the net trying to find a dealer that stocked a v-10 . I found none(maybe they had discontinued the v-10 by then) .If they would have given their 10 half the attention they have given to this 5.7"hemi" they would probably still have a strong seller.
Gas engines fit my driving needs more than a deisel and the price also fits my wallet better,I hope ford never throws in the towel and leaves us with either a 5.4 or a deisel.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Oaktree
Senior User
Dodge V10 is History

Oh and by the way,I did come to my senses and stick with my FORD!

Old 08-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Habitat
Junior User
Dodge V10 is History

Originally posted by Oaktree
I hope ford never throws in the towel and leaves us with either a 5.4 or a deisel.
Amen to that! Not that I don't like diesel, it's just that I can't afford them.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:38 AM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Dodge V10 is History

I'd heard Dodge's current V10 was going to be discontinued but some of the talk on other boards (rumors?) lead me to believe it was going to be replaced by a "Hemi" V10 or a bigger "Hemi" V8 in the same displacement range as Ford's V10. Some of the guys at one site were saying it's supposed to produce more HP/Torque than GM's 8.1L.

I'm so sick of hearing and seeing the word "Hemi". What a gimmick Dodge is pushing off on the Dodge guys! I saw a 1/2 ton Ram a few days ago with a big rear window screen decal that said "Hemi" across it.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:24 AM
hang10
Posting Guru
Dodge V10 is History

No kidding! The hemi guys are all over the place trying to prove that their motors are the baddest on the block. I have an acquaintence at work that bought an 03 recently, thought that truck was the world beater. Was always a bow tie before that. Just an obnoxious ***, you know the type. Nothing is better than his. One of these guys that thinks he's an expert on everything. Walks around with his arms held out to his sides and his chest all puffed up all the time. Always asking everyone how much money they make, volunteers how much he makes, etc. The I'm going to crush your hand- hand shaker.

To the point, when I bought my truck, he had to immediately start ******* it, to me, to everyone. His was better, faster, stronger. Kept wanting to "run em." Finally, I said okay. Round 1, about a 1/2 mile on flat, new pavement. Smoked him by 3 truck lengths. His excuse: was low on gas, motor was cutting out. Round 2: Construction access road, about 3/4 mile, dirt, flat. Wiped his butt by at least 6 lengths. His excuse, he couldn't get traction because his monster hemi motor makes too much power. Round 3: I-35 North, 6 miles. Lost him by minutes. His excuse, his radar detector went off so he slowed down. Final round: The 1/2 mile paved road again. This time he had a full tank of gas. Same result, at least 3, maybe 4 lengths. Ooops, he thinks maybe his parking brake has been stuck lately, has to go to the dealer to have it checked. Then he'll be back to unleash the mighty moper (sic) on me. Last I heard, he's now out picking on smaller V-8's and diesels.

Point of all this prattle? I have seen the mighty moper hemi in action. I am not impressed, at least when it is up against a V10. It seems to do okay against 4.6s and a few 5.4s. I heard of one guy with a 5.4 Econoline smoking him once too.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:15 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge V10 is History

Originally posted by krewat
The VW "V10" is really a W-10... the cylinders are staggered, probably that magic 18 degrees that we have our crankshaft rod journals split at.
Are you sure ? I've tried imaging a W-10, and I can't. I haven't heard any info on this 10 cylinder VW engine, But I would think that A W-10 would be impossible, the VR-6 is not a 'W' configuration engine. It's just narrow angled, maybe the 10 would be the same, and then again maybe I'm wrong. I'll look into it.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:22 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Dodge V10 is History

Originally posted by ken04
Are you sure ? I've tried imaging a W-10, and I can't. I haven't heard any info on this 10 cylinder VW engine, But I would think that A W-10 would be impossible, the VR-6 is not a 'W' configuration engine. It's just narrow angled, maybe the 10 would be the same, and then again maybe I'm wrong. I'll look into it.
Sorry, I was wrong... that's a 90 degree V10 DIESEL.

ak

Old 08-25-2003, 03:52 PM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
Dodge V10 is History

VW is running a W8 and is comming out with a W12 but I have not heard of a W10.

Quick Reply: Dodge V10 is History