2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate lock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 AM
msdt-99517
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tailgate lock?

Anyone use a tailgate lock? (Not the one on the tailgate)
My buddy got his stolen off of his platinum already, dealer told him 5 grand for a new one.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by msdt-99517
Anyone use a tailgate lock? (Not the one on the tailgate)
My buddy got his stolen off of his platinum already, dealer told him 5 grand for a new one.
The dealer should be telling his insurance company 5 grand.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:39 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
5 grand for a tailgate? Seriously? 7% of the total cost of the truck is in the tailgate?

I've got a bridge to sell if anyone is interested.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
5 grand for a tailgate? Seriously? 7% of the total cost of the truck is in the tailgate?

I've got a bridge to sell if anyone is interested.
Would be an excellent time to get rid of the platinum bling and replace with a standard tailgate.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:54 AM
rmcdonald72
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression that when you locked the doors the tailgate locked too? umm

Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rmcdonald72
I was under the impression that when you locked the doors the tailgate locked too? umm
I live in a small community and often times do not lock the doors even though times are changing. Over 70 cars burgled a couple of months ago on one single night. Old habits die hard but this is one I have to change. Push the damn lock switch. Then set the keys down for the night before going to retrieve one last item, go back and get the keys, then back out 50 yards to my parking area a second time. Old habits, I say. New truck is supposed to have keyless entry. Now where did I leave that combination?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rmcdonald72
Yes, it should on a Platinum.

Originally Posted by Rasalas
Now where did I leave that combination?
You can easily change it to something you can remember like your wife's birthday or your anniversary. Oh wait...

Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM
rmcdonald72
Freshman User
Rasalas it's a shame people can't own nice thing's you have to worry someone will steel it or mess it up. You are correct times have changed and not for the better. May 2006 F350 Harley Davison 6.0 was stolen back in May from my own driveway. Replacement is being built this weekend. 2017 F350 Platinum RR 6.7 4x4 These new trucks are fantastic wanted to get one in a couple of years but had to adjust my plans do to thieves.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Yes, it should on a Platinum.

You can easily change it to something you can remember like your wife's birthday or your anniversary. Oh wait...
Thanks Tom, first I have to get a truck with the keyless entry. I hope she is still with me by then. The comments about lamenting and "woe is me. Everybody has theirs and I don't" are coming in quicker succession. She just doesn't understand.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Thanks Tom, first I have to get a truck with the keyless entry. I hope she is still with me by then. The comments about lamenting and "woe is me. Everybody has theirs and I don't" are coming in quicker succession. She just doesn't understand.
What's the saying again? "If your marriage can withstand ordering a new truck, it can withstand anything."

Or was that building a house. I can't remember...

Strangely enough, it took less time to build our house in '14 than to get trucks for some of you. We broke ground early April and moved in late Nov. I feel for you guys.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM
RubyRed350Platinum
Senior User
Strangely enough, it took less time to build our house in '14 than to get trucks for some of you. We broke ground early April and moved in late Nov. I feel for you guys.
Unfortunately the truck may be built better than your house these days. They just shoot a thousand nails into the cheapest wood on most houses now. On my friends house they even shot nails through his PEX plumbing. The nails took a couple of months to rust and he came home one day to water just shooting out of his wall. Not a good day.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RubyRed350Platinum
Unfortunately the truck may be built better than your house these days. They just shoot a thousand nails into the cheapest wood on most houses now. On my friends house they even shot nails through his PEX plumbing. The nails took a couple of months to rust and he came home one day to water just shooting out of his wall. Not a good day.
I know the contractors personally (2 brothers and the son of one of the brothers), and they are well known in our small town (population of 1400) for excellent, meticulous work. We were on their list for about 2 years before they started. So, I feel pretty comfortable.

I know what you are saying though. Very few take pride in their work anymore.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the reason I built my own house! I built a wonderfully strong house with 2X6's, plywood exterior, etc...

On Topic - Look at my accessories thread, I have a link to the ford tailgate lock and it was only like 26.00, so would certainly be worth it and slow a thief down.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cessories.html

Not on Topic - My insurance went up 30.00 a month due to the high theft of these truck!

Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Although it may seem like the carpenters mistake quite often plumbers leave pipes in harms way or fail to secure pipes so they do not flex into known paths of nails. The rust through sequence has always been a problem, even with copper plumbing. There are steel plates which are easily installed to protect plumbing and wires but few elect to spend the time or money to make sure they protect their workmanship. Famous quote by a plumber: Shist flows down hill and payday comes on Friday.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM
msdt-99517
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread got derailed quick

Quick Reply: Tailgate lock?