Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

1984 F150 - Heater Cable w/AC - replacement needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:43 PM
wccasey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1984 F150 - Heater Cable w/AC - replacement needed

I'm in the Savannah, GA area and I'm trying to find a part. My heater/temperature control cable (that runs to the heat/ac mix door behind the dash) got a sharp kink in it and I can't repair it.

None of the salvage yards that I've called have it, and LMC truck no longer sells it either. I've searched the forums on this site for clues on where to find one and I called a handful of the suggested places a couple years ago, but then gave up.

I've tried reverse engineering a choke cable, but that didn't work for me. Just want to know if any of y'all have tips or tricks to get a replacement (even if it's another DIY suggestion).

Thanks in advance. Everyone on this board seems pretty helpful so far.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:52 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a yard in Griffin may have it. I got to work on mine once I get paint . If I was headed to Johnson's I would check for you. Finding that part in a yard is going to be a physical go and look they do not put small stuff like that in the database.

Go to our monthly chat and ask if anybody is headed to a yard for anything and see if they will try to find one for you. I am sure most would grab one for you and ship to you with reemburstment of course.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
wccasey
New User
Thanks, hturner12. I'll have to see if I can head up there or give a call to see if anyone there is motivated enough to take a peek for me.

I may have to try my choke cable idea again. I really just need the plastic pieces that guide the cable. If I had those pieces, then i could use just about any push/pull cable cut to size. Two of mine broke because they were so brittle.

I'm a tech guy, so I'm wondering now if I can find someone with a 3D printer who can churn those out for me... hmmm....

Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
If it is piece I am thinking about. The one on the control itself that keeps it in place. That is a a common failure. I read 9n the IDI forum where guys have drilled holes for small zip ties to hold it in place and just move it easy. I 5honk my is the temp control.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:36 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
PM either numberdummy: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: NumberDummy or Mike : Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: mikeo0o0o0. Tell them what you are looking for and they can help you out, it would be a new one.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Stephen

The cables are almost non existence and no aftermarket. Even Dennis Carpenter does not have them. If and thats a big if one one can be found it is pricey

Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-operated.html

This may help

I may get a chance to run up to Johnsons in about a week. If I do I will check and see if I can find the cable. Got to get at leat the black color on so I can get back in the cab.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 PM
wccasey
New User
I FINALLY found one at a junkyard today, but guess what? The owner won't sell it to me because he "wants to sell the whole truck". The body is in decent shape overall, so I guess I can't blame the guy... but why park it in the back of a junkyard and not advertise it for sale?

So, I'm still trying to find a way to make it work. The Choke Cable idea didn't pan out.

Does anyone know if I can buy a similar cable and modify it to make it work?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:36 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know how to modify one but have you tried a junk yard search?

https://findapartnow.com/
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I found 3 on carpart.com

Old 07-25-2017, 06:16 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
The problems with them is bad design and brittle plastic. I gave up 9n m8ne and just bought a $10.00 manual shutoff valve and put it 8n the heat core intake hose

Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM
wccasey
New User
Originally Posted by ChiefM
I don't know how to modify one but have you tried a junk yard search?

https://findapartnow.com/
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I found 3 on carpart.com
I haven't searched on car-part.com for this particular part because I haven't found it listed specifically. I think the problem is that some people call it a Heater Cable (like me), but other people don't. Makes searching more challenging. I guess I just don't know what item to search for.... What did you search for to find your three results?

But your suggestion did give me an idea. I know that I need to get a cable from a truck with Factory installed A/C that also has dual tanks. So, factory air is pretty easy to determine if there are enough pictures (Passenger vents look different on the dash panel... the climate control module has A/C... and dual tanks = two fuel doors).

So, if the pics have all of that, I can contact the yard directly and ask them to pull it/ship it.

I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks for the reminder.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wccasey
I haven't searched on car-part.com for this particular part because I haven't found it listed specifically. I think the problem is that some people call it a Heater Cable (like me), but other people don't. Makes searching more challenging. I guess I just don't know what item to search for.... What did you search for to find your three results?

But your suggestion did give me an idea. I know that I need to get a cable from a truck with Factory installed A/C that also has dual tanks. So, factory air is pretty easy to determine if there are enough pictures (Passenger vents look different on the dash panel... the climate control module has A/C... and dual tanks = two fuel doors).

So, if the pics have all of that, I can contact the yard directly and ask them to pull it/ship it.

I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks for the reminder.
# of fuel tanks has nothing to do with the heater tempurture control cable

Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 AM
wccasey
New User
Originally Posted by hturner12
# of fuel tanks has nothing to do with the heater tempurture control cable
That's also good to know. ...and that's the other frustrating thing... I don't have much exposure to other trucks behind the dash, so it sounded plausible to me (since there is a tank switch that also runs from the heater control unit).

Some of the websites specifically ask for that piece of information as if it did matter. I guess it's like the parts store asking you what size engine you have when you need to buy freaking wiper blades.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wccasey
That's also good to know. ...and that's the other frustrating thing... I don't have much exposure to other trucks behind the dash, so it sounded plausible to me (since there is a tank switch that also runs from the heater control unit).

Some of the websites specifically ask for that piece of information as if it did matter. I guess it's like the parts store asking you what size engine you have when you need to buy freaking wiper blades.

My tank selector is by my knee . think the older trucks had it it by the heater control. If you were looking for the whole unit I could see an issue

Item #18518. That is only the base part # for any ford heater cable you will have to put your prefix in front of it. There are several websites that tell you how to get the full part # Unfortunately you are trying to find a part that has been discontinued and there is no aftermarket.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM
hturner12
Postmaster

Quick Reply: 1984 F150 - Heater Cable w/AC - replacement needed