Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Tire sidewall woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire sidewall woes

The truck in my sig seems to have a problem with the tires. They are nylon ply Tractor Camper AT's (Les Schwab brand) the truck is also a 4x2.
Well anyway, the sidewalls are cracking, and small pieces of the sidewall are gone on the outer passenger side dually wheel. The cracks aren't new, but the pieces being gone is. I am wondering: Should I just ride it out and see what happens? Or get all new tires? I don't think the local garages will only replace the one tire as they are all fairly worn.
I am also wondering whether I can run radials on the back with the nylons on the front? The nylon tires on the front are in good shape and don't absolutely need to be replaced.
Thanks.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Tire sidewall woes

Running with tires that are actually falling apart is just begging for problems. A blowout at any speed is not fun. Get them replaced as soon as you can. Replace the front ones too. Running a mix of bias and radial is not good. The rolling resistance between the two kinds of tires is completely different, and could make the truck handle unpredictably.

Old 08-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Tire sidewall woes

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks.