Yet... Still a ticking from under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:18 PM
mctmct
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's happened now with the ticking engine and the last "sound plug" theory?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Old 09-19-2003, 11:16 PM
Justme
Freshman User

Just FYI,

For anyone who thinks they have a continuing problem on a newly purchased vehicle: be sure to ask the dealer you purchased the car from about their lemon laws.

Just because you ask them about the "Take Back Options" does not mean you will be pushing the issue-but this way the dealer will ensure your vehicle is properly taken car of: providing you are at a dealer where customer service is taken seriously. A little posturing on you part can go along ways and it lets them know you are not the typical push over customer.

If any of you ever experience a dealer who doesnt take you serious as a customer with a "lemon" type problem then you may consider checking out a "Consumer Protection" atty. Most states are very harsh against auto/body shops that take advantage of the consumer. Likewise, most consumer protection laws of most states are very lax and in favor of the consumer: once a lemon law type problem has been proven and the consumer protection laws have been triggered. Yet, there are a few hoops the consumer must jump thru and are best left up to the atty.

I used to work for an insurance company that only handled premises insurance for auto dealers nations wide. There are some good dealers and there are a lot of bad dealers. If and when you feel/believe this situation may be happening to you-it is imperative that you keep a journal/log of the events that led up to your "wanting the dealer to take the car back".

Another thing to remember is to constantly ensure you put the dealer on notice. Each time you take the vehicle in for "the problem" to be fixed and for some unknown reason the problem doesnt get fixed-you will need to go home and write out a simple letter addressed to the service manager cross referenced to you, your Veh & Vin#, as well as the RO#: be sure you express your concerns in your letter. Secondly, each time you talk to the dealer and they agree to do this or that, you also need to type them a simple letter acknowledging the jest of the conversation. Each time they "Promise" to do something for you be sure you ask them [how long] will this take....be sure they give you a deadline & also ensure you remind them of this deadline in your letter.

Keep these letters to one page....dont ramble; you are not protecting your pride here you are merely building a record and holding them to their promises.

Your letter is not one where threats should be slung nor should any name calling take place: this is business and the content of the letter should be kept on a professional basis. Problems and misunderstandings do arise-so patiences is mandatory.

Each time you send this letter you are building a public record. This will aid you in the event they are unable to fix your problem: it will also make it that much easier for your Consumer Protection Atty to negotiate w/the dealer if you are forced to take it that far.

Normally I would not suggest going to an atty as most insurance prob's can be handled w/you and the dealer alone-yet when it comes to Consumer Protection laws your atty will be more apt at what hoops need to be jumped thru.

You will know a good dealer if/when they offer to take it back w/out you having to make threats. If the dealer treats you as if you have some skin disease and refuses to take you vehicle back-then it is time to think about getting a Consumer Protection Atty.

Just my .02c's worth.

Kevin,

Old 09-22-2003, 07:28 AM
peterbilt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

Good advice. When I got my new FX I had a problem with a leaking rear main. My wife keep records as you mentioned. They replaced it and it still leaked. We discussed the problem with the customer satisfaction person with little help. My wife sent a register letter (firm but pressional). They replaced the engine, gave us a rental truck to use (albeit a Chevy Silverado-that hurt) and a free 75K extended warranty.

Pete

Old 09-23-2003, 09:05 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru

My experience with the lemon law (in Kansas) is that it is not worth the paper its written on. Given, my experience goes back about 10 years and a pariculary crappy Chevy 1/2 ton but it wasn't much help.

I bought a "factory exec" model with 4K off the dealer's lot on a cold day. The 4X4 didn't work, the power windows didn't work, and the 5.7 fuel injected engine got 7 miles per gallon. On one of my many trips to the lot for repairs I had to open the door to get the the turnpike ticket (windows still didn't work) and the G.D. door wouldn't shut. I drove 55 miles in freezing sleet with the door hanging open. I owned the truck 3 months and put 800 miles on it, over half where put on driving it back to the dealer. I traded it for a F150 4X4 and never looked back. They never did get the 4X4 unit to work on the Chevy and never could figure the poor gas mileage either. All in all owning that truck costed me about $3000 in money lost on trades.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:52 PM
supercrew owner
New User
Hey Guys I have a 01 supercrew with a 5.4. When I was rotating the tires I took a look at the passenger side as my exhaust manifold was leaking as well. Mostly when I would start and decelerate. I tried to seal it the easy way but that did not work. This happened right after the 36K mile warranttee ran out. So even living in Detroit my local dealer did not back up the issue. Has any body out there have this covered? What ever happened to the 6/60K mile powertrain warranttee? I dread taking this thing apart to tap and helicoil the bolts out. I wonder if putting headers on while Im at it will do any performance increases to theis detuned engine.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:57 PM
supercrew owner
New User
If any body is taking this up with Ford let me know becuase they should fix this. Kind of hard outcliming the hills when a chevy is snorttin up your, having this problem is not very ford like. Let me know what Ford says.

2001 F-150 SC 5.4 Lariat 47K
1993 Taurus SC 3.0 207K
1965 Mustang coupe Roush 450 hp 427 78k
1971 Mach 1 351 Boss 67k

Old 10-23-2003, 06:38 PM
luv2ski45
New User
Check out www.blueovalnews.com. Scroll down until you find an article on this subject.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:48 PM
luv2ski45
New User
ticking/tapping at cold start

I have a 2002 supercrew with a 4.6. I have a tapping noise at cold start that lasts for as long as 30 seconds. Nobody at the dealership can hear the noise when I bring it in for service. I've submitted numerous complaints to Ford and no one seems to care. I think it may be piston slap, but it may be something more sinister. Go to blueovalnews.com and read the article on 4.6 engine ticking. Mine only does this at a cold start. Some guys have this noise at idle and while driving. All these problems may be related. I'm going to try another Ford dealer and see if I can get someone at Ford to acknowledge the problem exists.

Old 11-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Justme
Freshman User
Believe me, they know that it exists.

Admitting it would mean a recall-bad PR. Ford, like any other mfg-on a grand scale, wants their customer to be happy: just not at the expense of their profits.

I worked for MIC (Motors Insurance Corp) for 12 years. MIC is owned by GMAC while GMAC is owned by GM. MIC handled the warranty, protection plans, and premises liability for dealers.

If there is a problem w/one of their vehicles: Ford, GM, or Mopar-they know about it...their Legal Dept simply has not been pushed into the corner regarding the issue nor have they been forced into admitting it as of yet.

If it has really riled you-then place an adequately sized add in your local major newspaper or your thrifty nickel penny saver newspaper (you would be surprised how many folks read those penny savers): solicit others who have experienced your same problem.

Once you get enough attention-consult a consumer complaint atty...or take it up w/Ford first-and if you get nowhere then consult the atty.

If this is a legit problem-then Ford needs to address it. Perhaps if the problem is really a common one then maybe a Class Action Suit is just what the doctor ordered.

Pwr 2da Peepl.

Kevin,

Last edited by Justme; 11-01-2003 at 04:09 PM.