Old 09-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Bad1993
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 AM
Bad1993
Junior User
I'm planning on getting these pivot bushings put in today keep having to put it off because my shop is literally the busiest it has ever been. Will post pictures when finished and an update to the wandering issue.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad1993
I'm planning on getting these pivot bushings put in today keep having to put it off because my shop is literally the busiest it has ever been. Will post pictures when finished and an update to the wandering issue.
Hopefully you bought the energy suspension ones (black or red same thing).

The best way to check pivot beam bushings is to get in the truck (make sure it's pulled forward so wheels are straight) and just move the steering left and right. That will give you a much better ideal of the bushings shape. Hard to tell from those side pictures you posted but many of them are elongated where the bolt goes in.

Also it's hard to find a good shop to align these. I go to a semi truck alignment place since they seem to do best with these TTB front ends. He was the one who taught me that trick of checking the pivot arm bushings.

Also I didn't beat out the old metal sleeve the bushing goes in since mine was never damaged on my Bronc. I just cleaned up the metal sleeve and pushed in the new energy suspension pivot beam bushings (still can be a huge PITA).

Old 10-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Bad1993
Junior User

Originally Posted by fordf350man
Hopefully you bought the energy suspension ones (black or red same thing).

The best way to check pivot beam bushings is to get in the truck (make sure it's pulled forward so wheels are straight) and just move the steering left and right. That will give you a much better ideal of the bushings shape. Hard to tell from those side pictures you posted but many of them are elongated where the bolt goes in.

Also it's hard to find a good shop to align these. I go to a semi truck alignment place since they seem to do best with these TTB front ends. He was the one who taught me that trick of checking the radius arm bushings.

Also I didn't beat out the old metal sleeve the bushing goes in since mine was never damaged on my Bronc. I just cleaned up the metal sleeve and pushed in the new energy suspension pivot beam bushings (still can be a huge PITA).

These are the bushings I got from energy...getting a hurricane so won't be able to install these.. next week mabey<br/>

Old 10-05-2016, 12:46 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bad1993

These are the bushings I got from energy...getting a hurricane so won't be able to install these.. next week mabey
Those look to be them. The hardest part IMO is the metal outer metal sleeve replacement. Your pivot beam busings don't look anywhere near worn to the point where the bolt has been rubbing on metal so if you want to save yourself a lot of hassle just push out/melt out the old bushings and just clean it up with a die grinder and sand paper and push in your new poly bushings and insert the metal sleeve that goes around the bolt.

It won't matter if everything else is perfect on your front end if those bushings are worn and the beams are moving around on the pivot bolt.

Even then my truck still has a little play but its because of the steering box (someone else mentioned red head's on here, hear they are the best but I have yet to purchase one and put in my truck. I just deal with the little bit of play from steering box as long as the rest is solid.

Plus I don't drive either of my ford OBSs as my daily anyways so its not a big deal to me personally.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
X2
I replaced these pivot bushings when I was putting in new ball joints on my F150. Not only did the steering tighten up but the suspension worked better also. The best bang for the buck was the swaybar bushings! The suspension was working great after that.
The Redhead steering box fixes a manufacturing defect. Pricey but worth it if you're keeping it.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Bad1993
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bruners4
X2
I replaced these pivot bushings when I was putting in new ball joints on my F150. Not only did the steering tighten up but the suspension worked better also. The best bang for the buck was the swaybar bushings! The suspension was working great after that.
The Redhead steering box fixes a manufacturing defect. Pricey but worth it if you're keeping it.
OK so just got around to putting these little ****ers in and oh...my...god... This truck drives like a million bucks lol im so happy it was worth the pain in the *** getting them in if your truck is wandering REPLACE these this truck holds a straight line so good now as before it would just walk back and forth I can't believe what a difference these bushings made I'm so so happy another successful repair worth the $$ now gotta get it painted and then my build is done

Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Bad1993
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bruners4
X2
OK so just got around to putting these little ****ers in and oh...my...god... This truck drives like a million bucks lol im so happy it was worth the pain in the *** getting them in if your truck is wandering REPLACE these this truck holds a straight line so good now as before it would just walk back and forth I can't believe what a difference these bushings made I'm so so happy another successful repair worth the $$ now gotta get it painted and then my build is done

Old 10-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
outstanding

Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Nice!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM
seschenburg
Mountain Pass
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Your tires don't appear to be wearing unevenly, a sure sign of front end trouble. Could it be that the tail is driving the dog in this case? IOW, maybe the problem isn't your front end but something in the rear?

What about....Do you trust someone else to drive the truck down a smooth flat highway while you ride shotgun in a second car and watch how your truck behaves?
==============
Nevermind, I failed to notice the second page to this thread.