1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the old superduty better looking than the new 17

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:15 PM
treedriver
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Is the old superduty better looking than the new 17

Today I saw a new 2017 Superduty up close. If I didn't know Ford trucks and put an 11 to 16 model next to a 2017 one and didn't know which was the newest model I'd figure the 17 was the old one and the 16 was the newer improved looking one.
The new 17 looks boxy and the old 16 looks curvy,round and stream lined. In my subjective opinion, the powerstroke badge is not as nice on the 17, nor the grill nor the lights.
what do you think? Everyones tastes are different but it will be interesting to get some opinions on this.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree completely, the first time I saw the '17 front end I said to myself .... it looks like a chevy. I don't like the boxy look and specially the fenders on the dually. This is one of the reasons I ordered my '16 F350 KR dually "Tow Boss".

To each his own though, I'm sure the guys ordering the '17 will love thier trucks just as much.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Never liked the look of the new 17's. IMO the best looking ford trucks are the 2011 to 2016 super duty's.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by don123
I agree. Never liked the look of the new 17's. IMO the best looking ford trucks are the 2011 to 2016 super duty's.
I agree! The 17's are not easy on the eyes!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:44 AM
KCBS Smoker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at a '17 the other day at the dealership. Did not like it at all. If I wanted a F150 cab I would have stuck with my 150. I am 6' tall and had trouble looking over the side of the bed. Too tall. Also, front looks like a show truck, not a work horse.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:22 AM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always enjoy these threads because everyone will start bashing the new style, but many of use will have one some day because the style will grow on us.

I never really like the new style of what comes out, I personally think the 02-04 is the best looking super duty, but I like my 14 too.

I will need to see a few more 17's to be sold on which version I like best, but regardless I can't afford the truck I really want so I will just keep my 14-

Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 AM
wh-7
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a 17 F350 dually on the road the other day and I thought it looked awesome. Had the LED's around the headlights on. Beautiful truck in my opinion. I do miss the flat floor in the rear which my F150 had, but mostly
for the dog's sake.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM
CyberJay
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikereidjr
I always enjoy these threads because everyone will start bashing the new style, but many of use will have one some day because the style will grow on us.

I never really like the new style of what comes out, I personally think the 02-04 is the best looking super duty, but I like my 14 too.

I will need to see a few more 17's to be sold on which version I like best, but regardless I can't afford the truck I really want so I will just keep my 14-
I loved the look of the '99 when it came out. But at that time I was 22 and it would have been a stretch to afford a brand new 4x4 truck.

I still loved that body when I bought my '04, which was my first brand-new vehicle ever. I still love that body now, although I will admit it looks a little dated.

I thought the '05 to '07 "refresh" on the older body was an improvement. From the very first day I saw one, I liked it better than my '04 but not enough to do anything about it. Pretty mild changes.

I thought the '08 to '10 was hideous. The flat bumper, the light arrangement, just everything about the nose of that truck was bad. (Apologies to anyone who owns one. Just my opinion).

I thought the '11 to '16 truck was awesome when it came out. I still love it and am glad I was able to afford one when I did.

The '17 has some features that I like, and some that I don't. I actually like the more angular look, that seems to be coming back into style, but I am not a big fan of the grille overall. We needed an update with some LED lighting and projector headlights as GM was leaving us behind there. I'm just not sure that what we got is the best looking it could be. I understand Ford's desire to share cabs. I just hope it doesn't kill SuperDuties overall. I mean, if you don't NEED to tow, why buy a SD over an F150? I have not walked around one in person yet. I have heard about the bedsides being higher. That could be a pain. All Superduties are pretty high compared to pre-superduty trucks.

I feel like the '17 will probably grow on me as I see more of them. So I agree with you there. The '08-'10 never did though. hah.

-J

Old 09-26-2016, 01:30 PM
CincyPSD
Junior User
I've seen a few on the road now and each time my initial thought was it was just a Chevy. From a distance the parts of the grill that standout look similar. I do like the front end of my '16 better but wish it had the tech the '17 does. But not for the price I am seeing!! $80k stickers? I thought my Lariat at $69k sticker was way high. Looks like bargain now since it basically has the same capabilities. Don't mean to bash the '17s but some of the wheels I'm seeing look hideous. I'm sure the front end will grow on me and my '16 will look tired at some point.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:32 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

I really like the 17 F450's and also the F350 DRW's. Not a super fan of the SRW trucks but I would take one. It's definitely a step away from bodies of the past near 18 years of SD.

Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No contest. I'm sure one day It'll grow on me. But at this point in time I'm loving that my '11 still looks as good if not better than any new trucks I see rolling around. . I'm just getting some razz in on the new owners. But that's what's really important right. How happy you are with what you have.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM
seemoremud
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO the 11-16 is the best looking truck Ford has ever built. I love the 17s from a side and back-quarter view, not a big fan of the new grill/headlights. I'm regretting not going with a crew cab on my '16 I bought in June, so I may have to let the new body style grow on me some and fix my mistake before too long.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like all the Super Duty trucks. That said, my current favorite is the 2011-2016 body style. I like the new truck almost as much, but I am not a fan of the grill or the emblem location / badging on them. I like the Lariat grill well enough but the Platinum's looks cheap with all those square holes in them. The base models are pretty awful too.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMHO... on the 17. I bitched about this pretty hard in another thread(wont do any good). Saw a 17 350 in person and was very, very under impressed...Most unfortunately the dam bean counters rule the earth, design is out the window...who cares what it looks like we need only to be concerned the bottom line. Hey lets see if a focus front end will graft on to the SD Homogenize, Homogenize, Homogenize I dont want a 250 with a 150 cab...period. Correct me if Im wrong but the 250 gas gets you the down graded G trans which I think is a 6R100 not the 6R140. Why... again the bean counters. The trans is one of the most important factors in buying an HD truck. Lets down grade to save a few pennies...very smart. At least have the 6R140 as an optional upgrade on the 6.2 gas. Live drive or no live drive.

Looks like 11-16 is it for me until the next design(hopefully minus the focus sheet metal). Ill drive my 11 until there's nothing but a seat n steering wheel left (bout 10 years). Then buy another one low miles, used. And you can have the stupid LED lights. 1000% totally obnoxious on all accounts. Older IS better, always will be.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll stir the pot a bit and say that my least favorite is the 11-16 with all the bubbly fenders and headlights and curves, etc..... It's never grown on me like the other years have for whatever reason. It's not bad, just my least favorite design. I like the rugged raw look of the boxy dually. I think the dually 450 looks best as those 19.5" wheels just look better. The SRW trucks are a bit more uninteresting looking.

I agree that having a similar design to the F150 takes away from the Super Duty difference but if one is that concerned that someone may not know if you drive a SuperDuty vs 1/2 ton you have other issues to contend with. Haha.

Quick Reply: Is the old superduty better looking than the new 17