1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Oil Change, not draining?! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:14 PM
mslopnick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change, not draining?! HELP!

I've never run into this before. Here's the situation. 72' F250 w/ a 360. Should take 6 quarts of oil, plus/minus. After taking of oil cap, loosening filter, removing dipstick, (top right of block near the power steering pump but going down into the block) and removing the oil pan nut offset to rear and driver's side, I can only get about 1.5 quarts of oil to drain.

The first time I did this, I figured the truck had not been taken care of and was low on oil, so I filled with 6 quarts. Have been away from the truck for about 3 months, went to change oil today knowing that I put 6 quarts in, and only about 1.5 quarts drain out. WHAT's THE DEAL?

I've tried getting a reading from the dipstick, but it will not show oil unless engine is running (which I know is totally the wrong way to read oil level unless you own a Porsche).

So I'm lost. Am I an idiot and not checking from the correct location (I think I am). If I am, and the dipstick isn't broken off and not reading, what would this mean? Furthermore, why wouldn't I get oil to drain that I know I've put in?

Any guidance would be appreciated, I'm at a loss at this point, though I guess I'm thinking the truck sat for a number of years and the oil gunked and thickened and won't come out, but that doesn't take into account the original change I did with 6 quarts, and again, only 1.5 coming out.

Thanks to all who can shed some light!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:32 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a WAG, is there a serious oil leak you don't know about?

Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Having changed my own oil for many years now I agree that it's suspicious that only 1.5qts came out...unless like previously mentioned you have a leak/didn't tighten the oil drain plug/filter back down last time. The average bear would notice a giant puddle under the truck though. You haven't noticed and leakage?

Ps: never heard of 6qts of oil solidifying in the pan...due to its molecular characteristics, that seems unlikely, but hey I'm not a scientist.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
OK, lets get this straight. Do you have a front sump or rear sump oil pan? This is very important piece of info. Based on where you stated the dipstick goes into the block it should be a front sump pan. Now after putting in six quarts did it register on the dipstick at all? If not then I would say you have;
1) the wrong dipstick.
2) your engine is burning/leaking oil while driving.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:48 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Do you have a practical joker in the family?

... Paybacks are hell... here's a good one. Secure a zip tie around the driveshaft and leave it long so the tang slaps the cab or bed.. Oh you should see the victim's reaction!

Old 09-25-2016, 11:14 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Following up... maybe a foreign object is blocking the drain hole. Poke a screwdriver up in there ala check yer truck's prostate!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first 71 f100 with a 360 had 2 drain plugs. A front and a rear. It is possible you have sludge build up in the bottom of the pan or something else keeping the oil from draining out. I agree with HIO you might want to probe the drain hole to see if more comes out.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:39 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
My first 71 f100 with a 360 had 2 drain plugs. A front and a rear. It is possible you have sludge build up in the bottom of the pan or something else keeping the oil from draining out. I agree with HIO you might want to probe the drain hole to see if more comes out.
When all else fails, probe the hole

Old 09-26-2016, 02:30 PM
quinletc
Senior User
Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt
When all else fails, probe the hole
Good advice in many situations!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Following up... maybe a foreign object is blocking the drain hole. Poke a screwdriver up in there ala check yer truck's prostate!
That's what I was thinking. But what if it's girl like mine?

How did you measure the oil that came out?

It's possible that there is some kind of bolus that as the oil drains it drifts to the hole and its drift time is approx. 1.5 qts.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:42 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Double post..

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 72CC428
That's what I was thinking. But what if it's girl like mine?

How did you measure the oil that came out?

It's possible that there is some kind of bolus that as the oil drains it drifts to the hole and its drift time is approx. 1.5 qts.
Trucks deserve masculine names.

Your truck is butch? LOL.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Arnold Kenyon
Senior User
I know a guy that is so cheap that he would let his farm truck go far too long between oil changes. His son said they once had to take a stick and run it up the drain hole to get it to start draining. Tighter than bark on a tree comes to mind. That old chevy is still sitting in the field behind their house. It didn't last long after that oil change.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:11 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1.After the oil change had you checked the oil on the dip stick afterwards ?
2.Or just put the dip stick in a close the hood an not start the motor.
3.Was the dip stick checked before stating or afterwards an what did it show in the stick?
4.If checked a short time after starting that shows low on the stick.
5.Only if the motor is smokeing like a chain smoker,then it's possible that the valve guide seals have gotten hard an cracked apart. Then the pieces blocked and plugged the oil return holes at each end of the heads, that causes the valve cover to fill the valve covers half full and only draining back through the push rod bore holes.

6.The motor would really smoke cause it would be sucking oil through the valve guides.
7 spark plug would be getting fouled also.
8. Please give use more input.

Orich

Old 09-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Millam
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These old trucks are too quarrelsome to be male so all of mine have always had female names. IMNSHO
Betty Lou and Blue Belle are my current trucks.
Yvette is the name of my, what else, Corvette.

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Trucks deserve masculine names.

Your truck is butch? LOL.

Quick Reply: Oil Change, not draining?! HELP!