Loss of uphill power and overheat??

Old 09-24-2016, 04:14 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loss of uphill power and overheat??

Hey fellas... been a while...
Problem today while towing...
I was in some hilly areas but nothing too unusual for Virginia's Shenandoah. .. was pulling an unloaded trailer and experienced a significant loss of power and overheating. Engine started getting hot (almost to red) and then the transmission came up in temp. Made it to a rest area and all cooled down within 2 to 5 mins... but the strange thing about the power uphill is that it is happening at slow speeds as well... boost seems normal.
Recently did the injector cups, so the thermostat is new (motorcraft), coolant is new, and put new o-rings on injectors.
First time for me having the's issues.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:37 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are you monitoring Trans temp and how high did it go? What was EOT & what was you ICP during this pull?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:54 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jhl3
How are you monitoring Trans temp and how high did it go? What was EOT & what was you ICP during this pull?
Stock dash guages... trans temp went up about 3/4's of the way. No way to monitor icp... what is EOT?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:07 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by afonda
Stock dash guages... trans temp went up about 3/4's of the way. No way to monitor icp... what is EOT?
Engine Oil Temp.

Do you have Torque Pro or AutoEnginuity?

Check to make sure you didn't have a brake hang up on you- truck or trailer.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:22 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Tuner...

Forgot to mention.. I also have a tuner.. Max Energy and I have the level 2 tune installed which is supposed to be for towing..

Old 09-25-2016, 08:37 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,626 Likes on 1,118 Posts
check for boost leaks, the clamp on my turbo outlet to the spider backed off 2 turns and my EGT went up almost 300 degrees.
also with it that hot your fan should have been howling, if not time for a fan clutch.
and for the trans you were probably at a speed and rpm combination that had the torque converter unlocked which causes a lot of heat in the trans,and with no air flow no cooling

Old 09-25-2016, 08:39 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Probably not cuz I changed the fuel filter about 10k miles ago. What is the thing in the fuel tank that gets clogged?

What about the fan clutch... how do I know if it's working right? Anyone know a link for a new fan clutch? is there a sensor that turns it on?

Old 09-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
We can't yet rule out a cup seal fail, particularly after a fresh cup job.

The fan clutch is self-regulating. If the temps soared and the fan roared - that's another issue. However... if you are unsure if the fan clutch is engaging - it's not. An engaged fan is about as subtle as a fart in a space suit - you're gunna know it's there.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
The fan clutch is self-regulating. If the temps soared and the fan roared - that's another issue. However... if you are unsure if the fan clutch is engaging - it's not. An engaged fan is about as subtle as a fart in a space suit - you're gunna know it's there.
Listen to this advice. He made me buy a new clutch for my clutch fan. He was exactly right!

For the price (about $65 NAPA last minute), it dropped my EOT immediately and now I KNOW when it kicks on. No doubt when you hear it- and when it shuts off

Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
What about power loss...

I think I need to check the fuel pressure... how do I do that?

Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
There is a plug in the back side of the fuel bowl (two actually and you want the one towards the passenger's side, it's post filter). You'll need some sort of special fitting for the bowl, it's something like 04 ORB (I can't recall). Then you can mount a gauge to it.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:08 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Here's a pic of what Mark's describing.

For a gauge, you'll need a -4ORB to whatever your gauge has, normally 1/8" NPT. The gauge should be at least 100psi.

Most gauges stocked at parts stores are for gassers and don't go nearly that high.

If you use the top left port in the pic above, you can use a small straight adapter. If you use the bottom right, it's more difficult. I used a right angle adapter and installed with the fuel bowl out of the truck. RiffRaff Diesel and DieselOrings have these adapters.

You can (and should if you can) install a permanent pressure SENSOR in at least one of these ports and feed into a gauge in your cab. Fuel pressure is CRITICAL in these trucks, so many of us add fuel pressure gauges of all different types.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Looking at that pic makes me wonder about how critical it is to use that more difficult plug. The only difference is the filter, which can't (well...when it's clean) reduce fuel pressure by that much. And we are looking to see that fuel is flowing and the pump is pumping well enough. Additionally, if fuel flow comes into question the first thing we do is check the filter anyway, right?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Looking at that pic makes me wonder about how critical it is to use that more difficult plug. The only difference is the filter, which can't (well...when it's clean) reduce fuel pressure by that much. And we are looking to see that fuel is flowing and the pump is pumping well enough. Additionally, if fuel flow comes into question the first thing we do is check the filter anyway, right?
You're right about that. In a perfect world, "delivered fuel to the engine, post filter" would be ideal, but a sensor in the incoming side is much easier and can reduce the likelihood of a pressure problem being unseen down by about 90%, with 10% being post-filter.

I am installing a second one and will monitor the post-filter one regularly, with the ability to flip a switch and check the other one. A big difference will indicate it is time to change a filter, or even alert to a clogged filter.

For troubleshooting purposes, if I had the bowl out, I'd install the 90deg below and a sensor on it. If you're installing just one, may as well do the "hard" one, the other will be accessible with the bowl installed if you ever need to....OR if you want to check your sensor with a temporary manual gauge (like I SHOULD be doing right now, lol)

Make sense?

Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Gauge...

What kind of line are you using going into the cab? And how are you plumbing it?

Would prefer to just rent a kit for now to see what's up with the pressure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss of uphill power and overheat??