What rookie mistakes should I avoid? Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 PM
PJJTLC
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What rookie mistakes should I avoid? Any tips?

Hi everyone,
Its been close to 25 years since I last pulled a trailer and that was with my 84 Bronco and a car trailer (home built flatbed, not one of those uhaul jobs) with a 67 MGB on it, that I took 850 miles without a problem, but for some reason I feel I need to ask the above question. Probably because I cannot remember a time before that I had hauled anything of size.

Mind that, I have moved tractor trailers around lots, have driven euclids and terex 50 ton dumps at the quarry, and done some small haul around town (teenie trailers that you cant see in the rear view).

Rig is 2016 F250 XL FX4 gas with the trailer package pulling a 2017 Forest River 27RKSS, about 33 ft with a GVWR of 8000 lbs.

I dont think it will be too bad of a pull, and we wont have more than 500 lbs in the truck when pulling. I am more concerned with things like fuel stops, wind, setting up the factory brake controller, levelling (I am getting a weight distribution hitch).

Please cover anything that you may have run into, learned the hard or easy way, and dont focus specifically on the items I listed.

(Oh, the fuel stop question is more about how do you choose where to fuel up? Do the have gasoline pumps back where the big rigs are? Do I need to research fuel stops due to the length?, most stations the pumps are perpendicular to the front doors of the stations, and I am dreading having to back this rig out from the pumps at a popular station along the interstate)

Thanks ahead of time,
Pete

Edit: added signature

Old 09-22-2016, 09:45 PM
BirchyBoy
Senior User
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
I think that one thing some people don't do is take the time to get the hitch setup correctly. I've seen too many with the bumpers dragging and the front tires almost lifting off the road! Set the hitch up and then go to some CAT scales to confirm everything.

Gas can be tricky. Most of the big gas stations expect RV's of all sizes to use the main pumps, not the big roomy ones out back. I always approach slowly to make sure the entrance and exits are good and then try and find a pump that is open all the way through the lane. It may take a while, so be patient.

My truck is a CCLB and my travel trailer is 31'. Getting into a small space for gas simply won't work. My previous setup was a Grand Cherokee and a 25' TT. That was much more maneuverable. I was able to get in and out of a gas station just off the George Washington bridge in NYC. That was a nail biter though.

Lastly, don't be ashamed to have someone go out and spot you when making difficult turns or when backing. Pay particular attention to how far the back end of the TT will swing. It doesn't take long to ruin your day with an impact.

Have fun and enjoy the trips! We're ending a 12 night stay in Denver and are taking 6 nights to work our way back to NC.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 PM
PJJTLC
Junior User
Thank you.
You confirmed what I thought. I'll probably do the get off when the signs have more than 1 station listed and pick the one that appears the least restrictive until I get my confidence up.

Setting up the wd hitch is my next test, as it will be a first for me, and I want to get it right. Most of my friends that have one all say the same thing, once they got it right, they just always set it the same way.

Going to watch some youtube on it, just so o can get conflicted tips, that I will probably ask about here.

Pete

Old 09-23-2016, 02:04 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
Depending on where you go a some of the chain truck stops, Pilot, Flying J, & Loves have RV pumps up front, with more room to maneuver. These will have diesel and gasoline and a lot have septic dump ($) and propane near by. You pay a little more but it can save in aggravation.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
for Gas,,, do not get gas at/near cities.. outer areas.. more rig friendly.

or at Truck Stops..

do the hitch setup.. take the time... for trailer to be level...
bars level and measure the front fender to ground .. no trailer and with trailer with and without bars attached.. best if first and last are the same, or within 1/2 inch.

will you be using sway attachment on hitch.. I would ..

Measure how HIGH you trailer is... not advertised ... real measurement...
and attach a NOTE to mirror or sun visor.. easy to forget.

Brakes, Follow the Ford owners manual.. as it depends on trailer..
mine is set at 7.5 .. but in Heavy Rain I set it to 6
and test trailer brakes ( hand control ) every time you start the truck with trailer... roll truck to 5mph and stop using only trailer brakes.

Travel Safe,

Old 09-23-2016, 06:27 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Some truck stops and rest stops won't take regular credit cards at the truck filling stations. They make you drag your trailer through the car stations. We were at one rest stop that had only one diesel pump for autos and to fill I had to go the wrong direction...through a turnpike rest stop for pete's sake.

Other rookie mistakes...Every time before I pull out I do a walk around to check storage doors, check hitch, and electric connection and I also feel hubs at every stop.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:14 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,673 Likes on 2,743 Posts
Check trailer tire pressure every day you drive.
Check the MPH rating on your trailer tires. I looked for it on mine and couldn't find it. Maybe I need stronger reading glasses. I'll be sticking to 65 MPH as that is what most trailer tires are rated for.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:38 PM
PJJTLC
Junior User
Wow this is great! Thanks Guys.

Any tips on dealing with traffic other than just being cautious and keeping it sane?

Pete

Old 09-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by PJJTLC
Wow this is great! Thanks Guys.

Any tips on dealing with traffic other than just being cautious and keeping it sane?

Pete
Don't try to keep up with traffic! Just run a "little" slower so the space in front of you is always opening up!! I generally run about 68 with my 5er or gooseneck out here in the west, where interstate speed limits arew 75 or 80, and when I am going thru any cities, I stay in the second from right lane and just run about 2-3 mph lower than the surrounding traffic.
Except for Phoenix, where traffic is only doing 2-3 mph on the freeway!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 02:50 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,673 Likes on 2,743 Posts
Originally Posted by PJJTLC
Assume that all the other drivers are idiots and are out to get you.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:34 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Setting up your WDH at the CAT scales is a good one as mentioned above. My best tip for driving in heavy traffic, which I've done several times, is don't bother trying to keep up with anyone in front of you if the speeds are variable. Also, just assume you are going to take about 20% longer to get places than a car would. Between slower speeds, and taking your time finding parking, more fuel stops etc, I know with my family, I sure don't make the same distance in a full day of driving.

Also, around the city, watch out for RIGHT turns. very easy to run your trailer up onto the curb, and into whatever is on that curb. I have one particular turn near my home that I need to swing into the THIRD lane from the curb in order to stay off the telephone pole. That lane is oncoming traffic. I haven't found a good way to avoid that turn, so I just take my time and wait for a big enough gap in both directions of traffic.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:03 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
Idiits is part of the reason I got a train horn. Nothing worse than pulling the trailer, running 60 MPH in traffic in the right lane having an 18 wheeler on your left just sitting there matching speed and some bone head coming onto the freeway with his front bumper just about even with the door at 45 to 50 MPH. Hard to get that much mass accelerated or stopped quick so there goes the Cannon Ball Express, even had a few truckers swerve with that one.

When get home next week (as I chuckle) I have to take my utility trailer to Salt Lake and pick up the Prowler out of the new wife's back yard and take it back to the coast.
We're hoping the middle son gets his new job soon as we really want to sell the place and start simplifying life. 2 houses is a little much when it's just us now.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy an IR temp gun (many are less than $20). At every stop shoot the hubs and wheels to get a baseline temp. Usually bearing failure is gradual, so a keen eye and a temp gun can help you anticipate imminent issues.
As you have had experience with trailers, I may be telling you something you already know but here it goes anyway: Don't get overzealous with the grease gun when it comes to the wheels. One to two pumps per season per hub is plenty.
Unfortunately, the industry is notorious for putting suspension hardware that is already really close to their rated limits before you start loading things up on the chassis.
Always be mindful of your cargo and how much it weighs.

One thing you haven't told us is often and how far you plan of towing your TT (travel trailer).
If you are basically flat-landing on short romps to a regional campground 3 or 4 times a summer, you might be able to get away with an entry level WDH (weight distributing hitch). If you are rocking the Rockies 3 or 4 times a year and crossing the great plains at speed, I'd recommend seriously thinking through your hitch tackle. The expensive hitches are the difference between looking forward to hitting the road in cross-winds vs dreading driving.

Don't let anyone tell you you don't need a WDH because you are driving a Super Duty. They're flat out wrong.

Whatever hitch you do buy, become an expert at its operation. Study it and understand the dynamics of how it is engineered. I have watched too many people adjust spring bars past their intended range of preload because they don't know that there is a knuckle angle adjustment.

Honestly though, much of this will come to you as you get out there and get into it.

Welcome to the hobby/sport/lifestyle, it has served my family well.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:47 AM
OkieSweetness
Junior User
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Cross Winds

Being like yourself and relatively new to the bigger travel trailer game, I would make two recommendations.

Find an empty parking lot and practice turns, backing and general handling of the rig. This will save a lot of pain and embarrasment later.

second, I was towing a Jayco trailer not unlike yours with an excursion. Cross winds are something I was very ill prepared for. I had a very nice WDH and excursion with a diesel set up to tow, but ti was still a little more of a white knuckle experience than I expected.

Keep us posted how it goes..
Matt

Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 PM
PJJTLC
Junior User
Originally Posted by Beachums
One thing you haven't told us is often and how far you plan of towing your TT (travel trailer).
If you are basically flat-landing on short romps to a regional campground 3 or 4 times a summer, you might be able to get away with an entry level WDH (weight distributing hitch). If you are rocking the Rockies 3 or 4 times a year and crossing the great plains at speed, I'd recommend seriously thinking through your hitch tackle. The expensive hitches are the difference between looking forward to hitting the road in cross-winds vs dreading driving.
Thanks, Temp gun is now on order. (on my vehicle it is already standard for me to feel the wheels every gas stop (was with a friend when wheel bearing failure led to a flaming tire). So, a temp gun is probably the better choice.

As far as our intentions, the next 6 months will be short hops around the general area, less than 200 miles away. But, next year, probably around June, we will making the trip from Texas to PA, to Vermont, to Maine and back. Which means i better think about that WDH, based on what i am understanding. As well as probably some sort of additional sway control.

I really appreciate all this feedback!

Quick Reply: What rookie mistakes should I avoid? Any tips?