1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:27 AM
deputydog03
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Testing oil cooler?

Ok, I have one more question about my oil cooler. Hopefully someone will be able to see it and shoot me a reply before too late, the parts store is a couple hour drive and I need my truck by this weekend.
Update on what is going on. Last Sunday I had a water leak, so I made the mistake of using some stop leak in the radiator. About 10 miles later the oil temp shot way up, probably from the stop leak. Water temp stayed normal.
Tonight I got the oil cooler out of the truck. Out of curiosity I put water from the garden hose directly into the blue hose coming off the oil cooler. The blue hose that my J pipe from the EGR delete was attached to. I ran full pressure from my hose into that blue hose while holding the oil cooler over a bucket. At first some nasty junk came out of an opening in the bottom of the oil cooler for a couple of seconds, then it ran clean. I got clean and clear water for 10 minutes or more out of the oil cooler, and it was running out as fast as I was putting it in.
Is this a sign that my oil cooler is not plugged up? I am running water into a gallon bucket through the cooler, and am filling the bucket in just a couple of seconds. If the cooler is plugged up will water flow that fast through the cooler, or is there a bypass passageway that allows water to flow through when the cooler is plugged?
If I can get by without buying an oil cooler it would make my wife very happy! I just don't know enough about these to know if the cooler is good or not.
By the way, what came out was grey green in color. I am guessing antifreeze and stop leak.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't take a chance with it as you already have it out. Replace it with an OEM Ford part and you should be good to go. From the color of the crud that came out of the cooler I would make sure on what antifreeze the truck has in it, green is a no no. I would flush with out using chemicals at this point, first several flush and drain cycles while getting the engine up to temp between each drain, and then 2 fill, run and drain with distilled water, then drain block and radiator and refill with a Cat EC1 rated ELC antifreeze. I use Final Charge brand nitrate free concentrate, there are other brands available that may or may not be easy to get in your area, just make sure it is Cat EC1 rated, if you use pre mix you will not get enough protection.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:38 AM
deputydog03
Tuned
So, I don't want to run the green antifreeze in it?
I went to the local parts store and told them what antifreeze I was looking for. I couldn't remember what everyone on here had been saying to use, so I told him it was for my 6.0 diesel. He came out with a store brand green colored antifreeze. The parts guy said it was rated for diesel engines, so I got it and put it in.
So, should I drain it and get a different antifreeze? If I run the green antifreeze what will it do to my engine?

Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Cat EC-1 is the rating you need. It's commonly (always?) red and called ELC - Extended Life Coolant.

Zerex G-05 was the Ford-choosen Gold coolant, but the EC-1 spec came from International, who designed the engine.

Long term, the green coolant doesn't have the correct additives to prevent cavitation damage. You could go buy test strips and add DCA and SCA additives to the green coolant to bring it's specs up, but if you flush with distilled water an EC-1 coolant will last for 100k miles.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:31 PM
deputydog03
Tuned
This is what they sold me. CARQUEST Oil & Fluids Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant (1 Gallon) 301: Advance Auto Parts
As long as I can get by for a couple of weeks to a month then I will flush it out and change it.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Comparing the MSDS it looks like it's basically G-05 without a DCA additive added. I would run if for a month, but then I'd put in a non-universal EC-1 rated coolant:

$14/gal on the shelf at TSC if you have one local:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...tifreeze-1-gal

Distilled water flush and you're set for 100k miles.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM
deputydog03
Tuned
I will do that. Thanks!