North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Fall 2016 General BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:24 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mr. Example!

Matt (Can't say he helped, he did more than I did) came out this morning to help with getting that Hickory split for next seasons BBQ's.
My first trip to the rental place was a bust. They only take credit cards, and I don't have one to my name, paid them all off and closed them several years ago.
Back to the house to get a credit card from Shari. Second trip too Hurtz rental (Matt is with me now). They can't find the splitter. One of their employee's had taken it home to use it and wasn't going to be in for an hour. Back to the house, and Matt has split a few smaller pieces with an axe.
Rocky had to give Matt is approval, and that went over alright. There's only been a couple of people he won't go too.

The Hurtz employee that used the splitter showed up to drop it off. But as he tried to back the truck in, he had jack knifed the splitter, and broke the carb.
He goes back to the shop to get it fixed. About an hour later he's back, we unhook, and push the splitter into the back yard and get at it.
All in all it was a good morning, Matt showed, the wood is split and stacked in a couple of different piles. Matt and I took Ka'Bluey out for a ride and got some lunch.
Now Matt is headed back home, my belly is happy, time to pop a couple of tops.
Thanks again for coming out Matt

Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, this morning was definitely a fiasco, Murphy's law at its finest. I'm glad I got to help out today, makes me feel a bit like I've repaid a debt for you coming down and helping out with my truck, but I would have come up and helped even if you hadn't. If you would, save me just a little chunk of something you cook with that hickory, I'd love to taste the fruits of my labor, lol.

Rocky was awesome! He was trying to pry logs out of the splitter while it was pushing 26 tons of pressure on the logs, I'm guessing he could smell the BBQ coming, you got a good one there Bob. I could make myself available if you ever need a pet sitter for him.

And Ka'Bluey, what can I say, it's a BEAST! I loved the video Bob posted with the exhaust sounds, but it doesn't do him justice. I was grinning ear to ear when Bob fired up that 400 and I got to hear the beast come to life in person! This truck sounds like every real mans dream truck and every tree-huggin hippie's worst nightmare, I loved it!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:27 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Here's what we ended up with after yesterday's wood splitting. I'm thinking there's enough Hickory for a few BBQ's.

Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2016, 07:30 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by quest4reds
Rocky was awesome! He was trying to pry logs out of the splitter while it was pushing 26 tons of pressure on the logs, I'm guessing he could smell the BBQ coming, you got a good one there Bob. I could make myself available if you ever need a pet sitter for him.
And Ka'Bluey, what can I say, it's a BEAST! I loved the video Bob posted with the exhaust sounds, but it doesn't do him justice. I was grinning ear to ear when Bob fired up that 400 and I got to hear the beast come to life in person! This truck sounds like every real mans dream truck and every tree-huggin hippie's worst nightmare, I loved it!
I love my Rocky, spoiled rotten and all.
And Ka'Bluey has been a blast since I've owned him. Hopefully we'll see him blue again before too long.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Bob, that's a good looking stack of wood. Many good meats will come off of that wood.

I hope everyone has some good plans for this weekend.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:04 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bob and Matt sounds like a comedy of errors thanks to Hertz rental! At least they eventually got the splitter there for you. Looks like Rocky was a big help.

I got a car show today, in Erwin over at my friends church (Lighthouse Outreach Ministry), they're trying to raise funds for a church building, then tomorrow cruise-in in Dunn at Sadler's Milestone Diner. Sherry is out of town visiting family in Florida, so I'm free all weekend (except for work..).

Old 10-29-2016, 07:55 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
I hope everyone has some good plans for this weekend.
I think Shari and I are getting out for a little this morning sometime. Nothing really going on though.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Bob and Matt sounds like a comedy of errors thanks to Hertz rental! At least they eventually got the splitter there for you. Looks like Rocky was a big help.

I got a car show today, in Erwin over at my friends church (Lighthouse Outreach Ministry), they're trying to raise funds for a church building, then tomorrow cruise-in in Dunn at Sadler's Milestone Diner. Sherry is out of town visiting family in Florida, so I'm free all weekend (except for work..).
I did take a little bit, but the splitter did end up here, and the wood is split.
Good luck on at the car show.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope everyone is having a good day, we cleaned up the house this morning and now kicked back in the recliner relaxing. Got to head to the store here in a few and pick up a few things, then I believe I may throw some form of dead animal on the grill.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
We're taking advantage of the weather here.
Tim brought Christmas lights from the attic yesterday and started checking them. And since he only has Sunday's off right now, he went up in a tree and started stringing lights yesterday. Looks like we've done pretty well light wise. Only 2 dead strings so far. And we've bought 25 more strobe lights for our Spiral Tree that is new for this years display. It alone will have 3,280 lights on it. So our total should be at least 12,000 lights for this years display.
Y'all enjoy your week.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:23 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking pile of wood Bob.

Hope yall have a good week.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Just saw a note about another gas line issue that's supposed to hit NC again. Fill your tanks up!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostatic choke bimetal coils only work correctly when you have them installed the right way. The right way pictured below.

When the bimetal heats up it tightens the coil.

Not so much when they are flipped the other way.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:11 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had big plans for today... barely any of it happened.

Installed the new fuel line om Blue went to check the new regulator that was supposed to be preset to 7psi. Hit the switch and it pegs the gauge at 12psi, shooting fuel out the top of the over flow vents. After almost 30 minutes finally got the truck fired, and it fouled the plugs badly so will have to change those if I plan on racing Saturday.

Had intentions of getting my 97 inspection done, it failed miserably due to about 2" of play on the right tire. So brought it home picked up a new tie rod got that installed only to realize the idle arm was also shot. Spent over a hour trying to get that broke loose with a 3lb sledge and a tie rod fork with no luck. Went and rented a pitman arm puller and finally got it broke loose and a new one installed. I'll try for the inspection again later I guess.

Only thing I had intentions of getting done today that actually end up getting done was get the new rear spiders welded up in the jeep so it should be ready to race Saturday.

Hope yalls day was better than mine.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:38 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Larry, sounds like you got something done at least.

I know we have the dinner coming up that James is hosting. However, I'd like to do something as well. I mean, I can cook some pork and have everybody over, but I want to be different. So how about I just have everyone over and we can work on the 350? I need to raise the cab and replace the body bushings. I have a set of those poly ones to go on. Yeah I know they squeak, but they were cheap and will be better than whats on there ( or not there as the case may be). I know we have holidays, but are there any weekends that work for anyone? Oh and yeah, I guess i could smoke some meat the same day.

Quick Reply: Fall 2016 General BS Thread