Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New F150 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RZChief
Beautiful truck. Best of luck with her. I've had mine almost a year and absolutely love it. The wife and I take mine everywhere. May be the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Thank you I haven't had her long but I really love this truck already. I am sure it will be the same for me we will be driving my truck everywhere even though my wife has a 15 edge that is a very nice ride I know we will be driving my truck mainly but I'm ok with that. This is the first time I have had a truck for my everyday vehicle and wasn't sure how I would like driving one everyday but the more I drive this truck the more I like it so I am very happy that I made the move from 2 vehicles down to 1. What is everyone doing for bedliners? I would like a spray in one, I don't really want a traditional drop in liner but with the led's and button in the bed I was worried about a spray in didn't want them damaged or damaged while they were being removed for the liner. I looked at a dual liner but don't know how sold I am on them. I am going to order some mats from Cabelas they have their brand that are made by weathertech that seem nice and they are 15% off until the end of October and I have some Cabelas points so I think I'll go that direction for the mats. I am getting the mud flaps put on at the dealer and I will be getting a tri fold tonneau as well at some point. Isn't this the way it goes you buy a truck and immediately start looking for accessories haha.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzard_Wing
Wiggums, don't have an android but an iPhone. To answer your question generically, that stuff on the 16's is not available yet. Standard on the 17's with Sync 3. CarPlay (Apple) and Android Auto is apparently a software/firmware update. Apple will require some kind of 'hardware' that is ??? and the $$ is also ???.

I love my iPhone 5 but will be reluctant to spend too much for that upgrade. Ford is keeping quite on the whole thing.

Mostly I want it for maps on the center display.
My '16 has Android Auto, but not Apple as far as I know. There's an option in the Settings menu to turn it on and off. What is your build date?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Line-X seems to be the overall favorite among truck owners. I really don't like the way the drop in liners are for this particular truck because of all the additional items in the bed (Boxlink, LED lights/buttton, Tie downs). I'm considering removing the LED lights myself to ensure they aren't damaged when I get my Line-X done. But it should be warrantied anyway.

As for immediately buying accessories after dropping all the coin on a new truck; welcome to truck ownership! haha

Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM
RZChief
Senior User
Originally Posted by dhoff024
Thank you I haven't had her long but I really love this truck already. I am sure it will be the same for me we will be driving my truck everywhere even though my wife has a 15 edge that is a very nice ride I know we will be driving my truck mainly but I'm ok with that. This is the first time I have had a truck for my everyday vehicle and wasn't sure how I would like driving one everyday but the more I drive this truck the more I like it so I am very happy that I made the move from 2 vehicles down to 1. What is everyone doing for bedliners? I would like a spray in one, I don't really want a traditional drop in liner but with the led's and button in the bed I was worried about a spray in didn't want them damaged or damaged while they were being removed for the liner. I looked at a dual liner but don't know how sold I am on them. I am going to order some mats from Cabelas they have their brand that are made by weathertech that seem nice and they are 15% off until the end of October and I have some Cabelas points so I think I'll go that direction for the mats. I am getting the mud flaps put on at the dealer and I will be getting a tri fold tonneau as well at some point. Isn't this the way it goes you buy a truck and immediately start looking for accessories haha.
For the bed liner, I went with the Bed Rug bed mat. So far I like it, my only regret is that I just got the mat and tail gate mat, not the entire bed liner. When the budget allows, I may get the whole Bed Rug liner. I don't use my truck aggressively when it comes to cargo, so the Bed Rug is working good for me right now. For the tonneau, I'm using the BakFlip VP, liking that also. I will caution you that the BakFlip is not 100% water proof. But the amount of water infiltration is so minimal, I'm happy with it.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:15 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
For the bed liner, I went with the Bed Rug bed mat. So far I like it, my only regret is that I just got the mat and tail gate mat, not the entire bed liner. When the budget allows, I may get the whole Bed Rug liner. I don't use my truck aggressively when it comes to cargo, so the Bed Rug is working good for me right now. For the tonneau, I'm using the BakFlip VP, liking that also. I will caution you that the BakFlip is not 100% water proof. But the amount of water infiltration is so minimal, I'm happy with it.

Looks Great! I haven't decided on what I am doing with the bed yet I don't use mine that aggressively either. On occasion I will use it semi aggressively but for the most part it's just normal use. I haven't used any other liners except my F250 had a spray in which I really liked and my dad 04 F150 had the factory drop in liner. I have seen the bed rug and other options online just never in person. I will definitely be getting a tonneau cover I had an American tonneau company tri fold one on my F250 and really liked it alot so I will probably get something similar it wasn't bad on the wallet and did What I needed it to perfectly. I will probably focus on getting the bed liner situated before winter then in the spring look for a tonneau.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Buzzard_Wing
Senior User
Pretty sure neither Android or iPhone version is available yet for the 16's. 'App Link' will let you run some apps from Sync 3, but not the full deal yet. I have a June build and it was just delivered 2 weeks ago, so any updates/patches should have been installed at the dealer. End of the year is all I can find for an answer. I have hunted high and low for an answer. Siri works fine and I can have it speak the navigation, but not the dang maps. You can update it over wi-fi, so give that a try.

As for the bed, I really like just a rubber mat. Protects against errant 'Chevy' toolboxes and keeps stuff from sliding around. Had both a bedliner and the mat in the SD (came with the factory bedliner) but took the mat out for the snowmobile as it kept trying to drag the dang thing out. Dee Zee (87006) was $80 at Amazon. I also got the OEM tailgate 'bedliner' piece from Amazon, about $68.

Despite all the tiedowns available on the new unit, I really like the Bull Ring stake pocket ones and they are on order. #4015??

It looked so purdy naked, like giant shiny dime. It's ingot silver. I wouldn't be afraid of a spray in bedliner, they would pull everything off before they painted it.

Just thrilled to no end with it!

Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Pretty sure neither Android or iPhone version is available yet for the 16's. 'App Link' will let you run some apps from Sync 3, but not the full deal yet. I have a June build and it was just delivered 2 weeks ago, so any updates/patches should have been installed at the dealer.
The newest builds have Android working with Sync 3. Doesn't have to be 2017 model. Yes, I am watching this one closely. He showed pictures of Google Navigation working, really awesome.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 PM
dhoff024
Senior User
Pretty sure neither Android or iPhone version is available yet for the 16's. 'App Link' will let you run some apps from Sync 3, but not the full deal yet. I have a June build and it was just delivered 2 weeks ago, so any updates/patches should have been installed at the dealer. End of the year is all I can find for an answer. I have hunted high and low for an answer. Siri works fine and I can have it speak the navigation, but not the dang maps. You can update it over wi-fi, so give that a try.

As for the bed, I really like just a rubber mat. Protects against errant 'Chevy' toolboxes and keeps stuff from sliding around. Had both a bedliner and the mat in the SD (came with the factory bedliner) but took the mat out for the snowmobile as it kept trying to drag the dang thing out. Dee Zee (87006) was $80 at Amazon. I also got the OEM tailgate 'bedliner' piece from Amazon, about $68.

Despite all the tiedowns available on the new unit, I really like the Bull Ring stake pocket ones and they are on order. #4015??

It looked so purdy naked, like giant shiny dime. It's ingot silver. I wouldn't be afraid of a spray in bedliner, they would pull everything off before they painted it.

Just thrilled to no end with it!
So I'm my search for a bedliner I have come across these options. Rhino liner for $499, line-x for $530, Dual liner for $399. There are other liners like a regular drop in liner and bed rug but I don't think I am going to go that route ( I do think that I might purchase one of those rubber mats just for some added floor protection ). I have also tossed around the idea of spraying my own bedliner. I know that might sound crazy but I'd like some thoughts on that. My Dad has a 15 F250 and he sprayed his own in with Al's liner and it came out really nice and it's almost 2 years old and still looks great and has help up well. Am I crazy to think I could do this with my truck and have a nice bedliner for many years? I am thinking of doing a raptor liner. If I had the money I would probably have the rhino liner done but I would like a tonneau cover, some good mats and a bedliner and don't have the money to spend $500 on the bedliner that would leave me unable to purchase the other accessories. I can wait on the tonneau but the mats and liner I would like to do ASAP since we are now in fall and winter will be fast approaching. From everything I have seen it seems like raptor liner is a great product and with the right prep you can get a professional job. Just makes me a little nervous to start stuffing the bed of a brand new truck but I guess if I get a spray in they are going to do that also.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 AM
RZChief
Senior User
Just my two cents on bed liners. You have to decide how you're going to use your truck. If you're going to carry loose material like stone, mulch, block, etc., you're probably going to want a spray in liner. I don't see myself doing that so I just couldn't see scuffing up a brand new truck and paint and having a liner sprayed in. That's kind of why I went with the bed mat. I have carried furniture in the truck since I've had it and just covered the wheel wells and sides of the bed with extra floor mats I have to prevent any scuffs or scrapes. It's a little bit of a pain, but doesn't really take a lot of time. If I put shovels or rakes or ladders in the bed, I'm just careful. If you carry that kind of stuff every day, then a spray in liner is probably the way to go. If the truck bed gets marked up down the road and starts looking bad, then I'll consider a spray in liner. That just works for me. Everyone has to make their own decisions on how to protect our investments.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Just my two cents on bed liners. You have to decide how you're going to use your truck. If you're going to carry loose material like stone, mulch, block, etc., you're probably going to want a spray in liner. I don't see myself doing that so I just couldn't see scuffing up a brand new truck and paint and having a liner sprayed in. That's kind of why I went with the bed mat. I have carried furniture in the truck since I've had it and just covered the wheel wells and sides of the bed with extra floor mats I have to prevent any scuffs or scrapes. It's a little bit of a pain, but doesn't really take a lot of time. If I put shovels or rakes or ladders in the bed, I'm just careful. If you carry that kind of stuff every day, then a spray in liner is probably the way to go. If the truck bed gets marked up down the road and starts looking bad, then I'll consider a spray in liner. That just works for me. Everyone has to make their own decisions on how to protect our investments.
RZChief thank you for all your input I appreciate it. I totally agree with you that it all depends on how you use your truck and right now with it it being brand new I will probably baby it for a while. The reason that I am looking at a spray in either doing it myself or paying to have one done is for me I feel like I don't have to worry about,what I put in there now or down the road. I had one in my 08 F250 that I had it was in the truck when I bought it and I loved it. I could go to Lowe's and buy a pallet full of mulch and have them out it in the bed and I didn't have to worry. I totally am with you that right now I probably won't use my truck like that and will probably use it more like you are hauling furniture or things like that for now. I just know I really liked the spray in when I had it but have a hard time envisioning stuffing up the brand new bed. I know they will do it if I pay to have one done but I guess it's out of sight out of mind haha.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 AM
RZChief
Senior User
Originally Posted by dhoff024
RZChief thank you for all your input I appreciate it. I totally agree with you that it all depends on how you use your truck and right now with it it being brand new I will probably baby it for a while. The reason that I am looking at a spray in either doing it myself or paying to have one done is for me I feel like I don't have to worry about,what I put in there now or down the road. I had one in my 08 F250 that I had it was in the truck when I bought it and I loved it. I could go to Lowe's and buy a pallet full of mulch and have them out it in the bed and I didn't have to worry. I totally am with you that right now I probably won't use my truck like that and will probably use it more like you are hauling furniture or things like that for now. I just know I really liked the spray in when I had it but have a hard time envisioning stuffing up the brand new bed. I know they will do it if I pay to have one done but I guess it's out of sight out of mind haha.
You're welcome. I love to talk "truck stuff" lol. Spray in bed liners are awesome, no doubt about it. Best of luck with your truck.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 AM
JKBrad
Received 800 Likes on 585 Posts
They have to scuff up the entire bed with a wire wheel in prep for a spray in. Why not wait a few years and do the spray in after you've scuffed it up already. Then it will look new again.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Beyond the Spray In Bed Liner

After I put a Spray In bed liner in my 2004 F150, I then added this:

Rubber Truck Bed Mat-Rubber Bed Mat | Agri Supply #91057

I recommend it everyone. It is a thick bed mat that is made out of used tires. Nothing slides around, dents are absorbed and to clean out the truck bed ... just drag it out and shake it (which is hard because it is very heavy).

This is a fantastic product and I am really glad I have it.

I am going to get a 2017 ... I will get one of these for it as well.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:13 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
The rubber mats are very durable, I've used them in the past. They do an excellent job of protecting the floor but don't do anything for the sides. The last 2 trucks I installed a BedTredPro. It protects the whole bed, looks like a spray in but it is easier in the knees.
I want a blue truck

Old 09-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
The rubber mats are very durable, I've used them in the past. They do an excellent job of protecting the floor but don't do anything for the sides. The last 2 trucks I installed a BedTredPro. It protects the whole bed, looks like a spray in but it is easier in the knees.
I want a blue truck
Valid point. I do both. Do the spray, it is important. Then put the rubber mat down. At $80, you can't go wrong and will come to see it as one of your better spends.

Quick Reply: New F150 Purchase