1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT home buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
The one's I have been using have screws, but I think the push-in connections are spring tightened. Actually, I know they are because there is a small hole that you can push a small screw driver into to release the wire.

I've been using these: Leviton 15 Amp Tamper-Resistant Duplex Outlet, White-R62-T5320-00W - The Home Depot
Pop them over to the screws. Code says TR for new outlets here, but I refuse to use them unless I'm getting inspected. I also put all new 20 amp circuits in my place.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Of course, I'm easily confused.
Me too! I will try to draw a picture after playing trains with the girls....

Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's talking about "tailing out" the receptacles. Basically you put short "tails" on the receptacles and then wire nut the connections together in the box. That way you have all the load on down the line carried by the wire nuts and not by the components of the receptacle. It's the best practice (and code) for commercial installations, but it's generally not required for residential installations. It's a good idea, but it does take longer and really makes the (normal residential) boxes tight with all those connections in them. If that's the way you decide to go, and it is a new box, I suggest you oversize the boxes.

And yeah, I didn't do the TR receptacles or arc fault breakers when I rewired my place either. They're more trouble than they're worth, IMO, though they are required by code, so you have to use them if you're getting an inspection. As the homeowner, I don't have to get an inspection on self-performed work. I did get the service inspected when I put that in, but that was only because the power company wanted to see the inspection certificate before they would re-set the meter.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:11 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just used them for safety with the kids and all. I HATE those plastic safety plugs!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
He's talking about "tailing out" the receptacles. Basically you put short "tails" on the receptacles and then wire nut the connections together in the box. That way you have all the load on down the line carried by the wire nuts and not by the components of the receptacle. It's the best practice (and code) for commercial installations, but it's generally not required for residential installations. It's a good idea, but it does take longer and really makes the (normal residential) boxes tight with all those connections in them. If that's the way you decide to go, and it is a new box, I suggest you oversize the boxes.

And yeah, I didn't do the TR receptacles or arc fault breakers when I rewired my place either. They're more trouble than they're worth, IMO, though they are required by code, so you have to use them if you're getting an inspection. As the homeowner, I don't have to get an inspection on self-performed work. I did get the service inspected when I put that in, but that was only because the power company wanted to see the inspection certificate before they would re-set the meter.
Exactly. Thanks for using all the words I couldn't think of!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:19 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

Shhhhhhh, we don't mention meter cans and inspections in the same breath around here....

Thanks for explaining that. Wouldn't that add to the cube value? So depending on the amount/size of wires, you'd need an oversized box to stay in the allotted cube value anyway.

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I just used them for safety with the kids and all. I HATE those plastic safety plugs!
In my day we were given a butter knife and told to explore...lol

I'd much rather deal with the plastic push in for a few years than TR receptacles for life. But that's just me.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
Shhhhhhh, we don't mention meter cans and inspections in the same breath around here....

Thanks for explaining that. Wouldn't that add to the cube value? So depending on the amount/size of wires, you'd need an oversized box to stay in the allotted cube value anyway.
You are correct , sir. Bigger boxes are generally needed and that can be a real pain if it's a remodel where you're reusing the old boxes!

Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow long time since any updates here... so here we go...