6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Issue with bogging down, dying and no response to gas pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:24 AM
Meltz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with bogging down, dying and no response to gas pedal.

Recently I have encountered another issue. Truck started up fine, at first stop light and truck was bogging down, RPMs jumping up and down slightly and sounded like it was going to die. Light turned green, gave it gas, no response. Gas pedal was dead. After restarting the truck I was able to give it some gas until I came to the next stop light and this repeated. Eventually a few moments later I got a check engine light. Drove home this way, seemed to be working fine as long as I was actually driving and not stopped.

I do have a basic $15 monitor fellow members suggested that I got off Amazon. All the parameters looked ok except for the battery, that jumped up and down in volts as the engine sounded like it was bogging down then eventually died. New batteries put in approx 2 months ago. The check engine light is showing "P0299 turbo/supercharger underboost"

I have attached an image of this check engine light according to my monitor.

Any ideas??

Old 09-16-2016, 04:45 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
One of the Turbo outlet pipes came loose possibly. Have you looked under hood to make sure everything is still attached ?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Check the MAP nipple where the MAP hose plugs into the intake manifold. It typically gets clogged with soot and can be cleared with a wire hanger.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:33 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the MAP rubber rube which actually plugs into the pass side valve cover, the EBP on the driver's side front, the turbo wire connection, or unison ring stuck.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Meltz
Freshman User
Ok I finally got around to doing this. Took a look under the hood and everything looks to be normal to me. I took off the map nipple and cleaned the hole with a wire hanger, it didn't appear to be clogged at all. reassembled it and started the truck. The truck starts fine but sounds like its idling really low. I gave it some gas till the rpms hit 2-3 and after i let off the gas it starts to bog down, almost killing the engine a couple times. It appears the problem has not been fixed, check engine light still on.

Also checked the hoses (assembled, did not disassemble) it does not appear to be cracked or any leaks that I can see.

Anymore ideas?

Old 09-27-2016, 04:11 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the pigtail going to the VGT solenoid on the turbo. Make sure it's fully seated. It's on the front of the turbo near the heat shield for the exhaust turbo up high.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Meltz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Check the pigtail going to the VGT solenoid on the turbo. Make sure it's fully seated. It's on the front of the turbo near the heat shield for the exhaust turbo up high.
Yes it is fully seated. I may have to take the turbo out and take it apart to clean it. Is it difficult to take the turbo out and apart? Looks somewhat difficult on youtube.

Also truck idles really hard, definitely isn't idling right, even took a min more to start.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Meltz
Yes it is fully seated. I may have to take the turbo out and take it apart to clean it. Is it difficult to take the turbo out and apart? Looks somewhat difficult on youtube.

Also truck idles really hard, definitely isn't idling right, even took a min more to start.

That all depends on how well you work with tools. The job is not that bad the hard points would be the downpipe v-band clamp and the up pipe clamp. The turbo is heavy and a little akward to remove from the truck and reinstall can be a pain. You will need a turbo reinstall kit it will have orings an oil feed gasket and bolts to tighten it down with. Figure a day to do it.

Are there anymore codes?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:18 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
When you start the truck can you hear a difference in the sound of the exhaust from first start to idle. It kind of sounds like a low drone then switches to a jet engine sound. If you can hear a difference then I would say your veins aren't stuck.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Meltz
Freshman User
That all depends on how well you work with tools. The job is not that bad the hard points would be the downpipe v-band clamp and the up pipe clamp. The turbo is heavy and a little akward to remove from the truck and reinstall can be a pain. You will need a turbo reinstall kit it will have orings an oil feed gasket and bolts to tighten it down with. Figure a day to do it.

Are there anymore codes?
Wow I didn't know I needed a reinstall it. I can't just remove the turbo, clean it and put it back together?

When you start the truck can you hear a difference in the sound of the exhaust from first start to idle. It kind of sounds like a low drone then switches to a jet engine sound. If you can hear a difference then I would say your veins aren't stuck.
I'm not sure what you mean. It sounds very low when it starts. The idle sounds pretty rough.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 PM
billbot
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
The reinstall kit has orings for the oil supply tube and oil drain tube. Also includes new mounting bolts and a paper gasket for the oil supply tube. It's only like $13, you can reinstall the turbo without it, but if the drain tube leaks the turbo will have to come out again to replace the oring. Not worth the risk to me. i dread installing the turbo because it can be a real pain to get the Y-pipe lined up (although last time i got lucky and it went right into place)

I just cleaned my turbo for the 1st time recently, it's not a big deal. Reassembly can be a little tricky but overall an easy job.

Regarding the turbo sounds at startup, my turbo was cycling exactly as described but when i opened it up a few vanes didn't have full movement, and had to pry the unison ring off. Good amount of carbon and corrosion in there, not sure how it was able to function but it did. Good luck

Oh one more thing i ran into a while back, the wires to the vgt solenoid from being exposed to oil from the cac tube above it had lost insulation and was causing the vgt solenoid to not sweep the vanes intermittently. I installed a new pigtail and it made a difference. Never had a code, might be worth taking a look at

Old 09-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Meltz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by billbot
The reinstall kit has orings for the oil supply tube and oil drain tube. Also includes new mounting bolts and a paper gasket for the oil supply tube. It's only like $13, you can reinstall the turbo without it, but if the drain tube leaks the turbo will have to come out again to replace the oring. Not worth the risk to me. i dread installing the turbo because it can be a real pain to get the Y-pipe lined up (although last time i got lucky and it went right into place)

I just cleaned my turbo for the 1st time recently, it's not a big deal. Reassembly can be a little tricky but overall an easy job.

Regarding the turbo sounds at startup, my turbo was cycling exactly as described but when i opened it up a few vanes didn't have full movement, and had to pry the unison ring off. Good amount of carbon and corrosion in there, not sure how it was able to function but it did. Good luck

Oh one more thing i ran into a while back, the wires to the vgt solenoid from being exposed to oil from the cac tube above it had lost insulation and was causing the vgt solenoid to not sweep the vanes intermittently. I installed a new pigtail and it made a difference. Never had a code, might be worth taking a look at
Awesome thanks for the info! I think I will go ahead and give it a shot. overall this truck has had one problem after another, first time I will be working on a vehicle because tired of spending money. A local shop wants 4 hrs of labor to fix this p0299 code, about $500. Where can I get a reinstall turbo kit and a new vgt solenoid, possibly the dealership?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Meltz
Freshman User
Update: I attempted to take my turbo out and clean it and it turned out to be a harder task then I thought, got about halfway then gave up. I had it towed once again to the diesel shop of my choice. They charged me $450 to clean the turbo and put the truck back together. They said the truck now works after cleaning the turbo, guess that indeed was the issue. Thought I would update incase anyone else comes across this issue.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 AM
warnd4
Junior User
Thanks Meltz for sharing your experience; Your efforts and sacrifice are not in vain, because ultimately you will have helped many of us who may face this problem in the future.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Meltz
Update: I attempted to take my turbo out and clean it and it turned out to be a harder task then I thought, got about halfway then gave up. I had it towed once again to the diesel shop of my choice. They charged me $450 to clean the turbo and put the truck back together. They said the truck now works after cleaning the turbo, guess that indeed was the issue. Thought I would update incase anyone else comes across this issue.
Glad you're back on the road!

Just went through this with a customer vehicle...

2006 F350 that we took apart, resealed, and put back together. Roadtesting, it wouldn't boost for crap which we contributed to the old turbo with a blown turbine seal filling the exhaust with oil residue. I drive the **** out of it and the smoke finally goes away, but it still won't boost right, not even on SRLX.

We pull the turbo off, split the turbo and find some serious carbon buildup on the vgt "finger" that moves the vanes. We completely clean it, the vanes, and unison rings, and now it runs like a raped ape.

Quick Reply: Issue with bogging down, dying and no response to gas pedal.