Sponsored by: Moser

2013 Sync stopped reading text messages

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 Sync stopped reading text messages

Sync used to read me any test messages that came in on my Samsung Galaxy S6. But lately it doesn't do that anymore. Is there a setting that might have gotten turned off?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Sync used to read me any test messages that came in on my Samsung Galaxy S6. But lately it doesn't do that anymore. Is there a setting that might have gotten turned off?
Hey Turbo Dog,

I recommend unpairing the phone and pairing it back with a clean connection. At the end of the pairing process, be sure to watch your phone closely for a message from SYNC. You will need to give permission to SYNC to access your text messages. If this isn't done, it will automatically default to off. Check out these links for more info:

Phone Pairing: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...html?sync=sync

Text Message: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...html?sync=sync

Keep me updated!

Cara

Old 09-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
The first link doesn't work, but I got some info off of the second one. I unpaired the phone and then couldn't get it to connect again until I selected 'Add a Device' on the Sync system. It then paired up and I looked at the settings and they are all turned on. I'll just have to wait for a text message to come in when I'm driving to know if it worked.

Thanks for you help!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

That's strange that the first link didn't open for you because it opened fine for me. Regardless, glad to hear you were able to pair with a clean connection. Let me know if you're still running into issues with the text feature.

Cara

Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
It is reading the text messages and now the bluetooth music feature is working. Each time I get in the truck it starts playing music off my phone without me even having to select it.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:59 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Awesome! I'm here if you need me in the future.

Cara

Old 09-22-2016, 06:27 PM
fastback89
Senior User
After reading this thread, I decided to try and get the text feature working on my 2013 FX4. No luck at all, I have a fairly new Iphone 6S that will not show the notifications icon on the SYNC screen even after a master reset, and many unpairing and resync attempts. I guess it was never meant to be...

Old 09-23-2016, 11:43 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by fastback89
After reading this thread, I decided to try and get the text feature working on my 2013 FX4. No luck at all, I have a fairly new Iphone 6S that will not show the notifications icon on the SYNC screen even after a master reset, and many unpairing and resync attempts. I guess it was never meant to be...
Hey fastback89,

The Show Notifications option is actually a setting in the iPhone itself. You'll want to go to the Bluetooth settings of the phone. Under Paired Devices, look for a blue "i" to the right of SYNC. Press the "i" and from there you can turn on the notifications. Check out this link for more info on this feature: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...html?sync=sync

Let me know how it goes!

Cara

Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 PM
fastback89
Senior User
Yes, I knew the Show Notifications was on the phone. Evidently it's common for this not to be shown on the SYNC screen on the phone. From what I've heard the SYNC in my truck should enable that feature on my phone. My guess is that because I've never used this text option that my SYNC is somehow permanently hosed. I'm curious if there is some way to reboot the SYNC like you would with a home computer??

Old 09-24-2016, 10:39 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

The text feature is enabled to be turned on and off at anytime. Have you checked to see if a software update is available? I can provide you with reset steps. Which SYNC system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/get-started-with-sync/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html?model

Cara

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 207 Posts
Mine still reads texts audibly, but it no longer displays the message on the screen. Odd.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:57 PM
fastback89
Senior User
My Sync is Basic, no touch and no navigation

Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi fastback89,

There are a few things needed to enable text notifications for iPhones. You definitely want to make sure SHOW NOTIFICATIONS is turned on: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ur-iphone.html You also must have SHOW ON LOCKED SCREEN activated on the phone. Go to SETTINGS>NOTIFICATIONS>MESSAGES. The iPhone needs to be locked when the message is received as well.

Shaay

Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 PM
fastback89
Senior User
Yes, I can not turn on the show notifications in the bluetooth settings because its not there at all on my phone. Yesterday I was with a group of people who all had Iphones and everyone of there phones has the show notifications icon except mine. I've read about this in great detail about unpairing and pairing and master resets that have all been tried many times. The problem seems to be with the SYNC and Iphone compatibility. I've thought about pulling the fuse for the radio system and leaving it sit overnight just to see what would happen..

Old 09-27-2016, 11:36 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by fastback89
Yes, I can not turn on the show notifications in the bluetooth settings because its not there at all on my phone. Yesterday I was with a group of people who all had Iphones and everyone of there phones has the show notifications icon except mine. I've read about this in great detail about unpairing and pairing and master resets that have all been tried many times. The problem seems to be with the SYNC and Iphone compatibility. I've thought about pulling the fuse for the radio system and leaving it sit overnight just to see what would happen..
I would delete the old SYNC connection from the phone and pair it back to the vehicle with a new one. You can delete SYNC from the phone by pressing the blue "i" again and choose DELETE DEVICE. Once that is deleted, delete the connection from the vehicle as well by pressing the PHONE button and scroll until you see DELETE ALL DEVICES. Once this has been done, pair the phone back with a clean connection. Then, look for the SHOW NOTIFICATIONS option again.

Keep me updated!

Cara

Quick Reply: 2013 Sync stopped reading text messages