Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Is there a difference? 99 throttle body w/ egr vs 2001 throttle body w/egr

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a difference? 99 throttle body w/ egr vs 2001 throttle body w/egr

Well a closer inspection of the 2001 motor I just got for my 99 I realized the motor I bought doesn't have an EGR

I've been doing research into it this week but haven't found a definitive answer.

The throttle bodies are the same, the egr valve is the same, the spacer has the same bolt holes (uses the same gasket). Can I take my throttle body assembly with egr and put in on the PI intake? If not what is the difference?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
As far as I know everything swaps over. You could pull the intake manifold on each engine and compare them to make sure there are no tubes or holes that are different. Keep in mind you'll have to swap over at least the drivers side exhaust manifold to the 01' as a non EGR engine will not have the hole tapped in the exhaust manifold for the EGR tube. It is possible to just delete the EGR altogether and turn the EGR off in the tune. However in Cali that may not be an option for you. I am not sure if you need a tune revision going from a non PI engine to a PI engine.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The California emmisions trucks didn't have an egr after 99 either my truck was sold new in Orange County no egr. But the problem would more likely be that since the op's truck came with an egr it needs it to pass inspection. Even her we have only a safety inspection but if any emmisions equipment is missing you fail if they notice unless you know someone but no actual emissions testing. Obviously not sure how it works where ever the op is. I'd be curious to know wether he will need a tune or not with the Pi heads I rember seeing something about this a while back but don't remember the outcome.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
I just got the front of the truck pulled apart to get to the top of the engine. I'll pull the throttle body assembly off and see. the intakes from the outside look very similar. I'm thinking the the throttle body is an external part, like a carburetor, and that the intake is just a intake. I'm reusing both of my exhaust manifolds I knew I needed the tubes too.

I'll have the engine out this weekend. I've been using parts catalogs to look at sensors to see if I need to change any as I go. I'm supersized nobody seems to have a definitive answer on this. The question really is is there any special porting in the intake on the EGR model or are both intakes the same. If I have to switch to non egr I'm pretty sure I'd need to change the computer.

I'll let you know what I find this weekend.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:32 PM
noonrock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does replacing the left bank cross-over exhaust with the same diameter as the right bank make any horsepower or mileage improvement?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:36 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well got the old engine out this weekend. Will spend this week moving parts over and servicing the new one. Throttle body is a match. All the stuff that makes it an EGR is in the throttle body adapter. So I'm going to clean it up and roll.

So far the only real difference that I need to deal with it the heater hose placement. On the 99 both hoses connected at the back of the engine. On the 2001 motor the intake connection is in the front.

Spark plugs came out and went in nicely. Peering down the hole the piston tops are clean. Plugs looked to be original motocraft. They need to be changed. Got a set of Bosch Iridium.

Water pump and exhaust gaskets should be here today.

Dam this is a big engine to pull but I got it out without removing the intake. Just the throttle body assembly. Hopefully it goes back in as nicely.

Peace,

Old 09-19-2016, 11:15 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike189677
I'd be curious to know wether he will need a tune or not with the Pi heads I rember seeing something about this a while back but don't remember the outcome.
That's when you put PI heads on what was originally a non-PI block because the pistons are different. PI heads with non-PI pistons will raise the compression to something like 10:1 or so which will require a tune to keep it from pinging.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well it's all good till you find that the dismantler broke off a bolt. I was putting on the last piece to install the engine this weekend and one of the engine mount bolts is broken on the right side. So now I've got to find the gasket to remove the coolant manafold and hopefully I can get a hold of the broken bolt. I'm tempted to leave it.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well the bolt is broke off flush with the block. Dang it. I discovered this weekend that #1 I don't have any drill bits that will touch that SS bolt and #2 no place is open on the weekend that sells carbide bits.

If this was a highway queen I'd probably put it together with only 3 bolts but I have a 4x4 for a reason. So I'm going to talk to my machinist today and get it to him and let them get it out. Friggin last bolt of the swap out had to be broken and it had to be a stainless steel bolt.

Okay rant over

Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Nothing special about a stainless steel bolt and for the most part they are softer than good quality gr8 or 10.9 steel bolt. They get hard when you work harden it. A left handed drill and an easy out usually works, as does welding on a nut and turning the bolt out. Depending on if the broken bolt is seized in place or not (or bottomed out) I have successfully removed broken bolts using a center punch and a hammer to back the broken section out enough to grab with a pliers.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:47 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Ya I've never had a problem either unless you don't have any good carbide bits and no place is open locally on the weekend to buy them.

That's okay worked out better this way. The place I bought the engine from is going to float the machine shop repair cost. The manager said his guys should have caught that when they pulled the motor. So taking it to my local machine shop this afternoon. My buddy at the shop was glad I didn't mess with it too much. Started telling me horror stories of broken bolts that have had broken bits and eze-outs in them.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well even the shop said that was a hard bolt. Took them over 2 hours to drill out and timesert it. Got it back Friday afternoon.

Saturday-Sunday everything back together except power steering pump hose. None of the local parts shop has that plastic o-ring so a few little details today and lets hope it starts with no more issues.

So I also discovered that in 99 they used a 4 bolt pattern torque converter. The 01 has 6, had to swap fly wheel.
Heater supply hose on the 99 hooks up on back of intake manifold on 01 it is on the front of the intake. Replaced with 01 heater hose with all the right bends. Is that some kind of restriction built into those hoses?
Fuel rail pressure regulator on 99 vacuum port points towards back on 01 it points up. had to modify vacuum line.
Knock sensor had a different connector. Swapped sensor. Good thing that the PI intake has room to reach it. On the 99 I had to remove the intake to get to it.
Intake opening is definitely larger on the 01 but the 99 throttle body bolts right up to it. All the smog bolts right up so swapping the smog was no problem. Even the intake has the bolt bosses for the valves and extras that are part of that smog crap.

Thanks all

Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well one final follow up for anyone that follows

I had 5-star update my tune. Let me just say what a difference. It felt like it had more top end HP running the tune for the 99 engine but the new tune opened up the power band in the lower rpm range. It felt strong but lazy I guess would be the word but now it has good power all the way through the RPM range. So updated tune is a must to get the most out of this upgrade.