1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2000 Ranger brake problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:09 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ranger brake problem.

I have a 2000 ranger xlt extended cab 4x4 that has an intermittent brake problem, when I am coming to a stop at a slow speed the brakes seem to slip about one in twenty times, this slippage is only for five feet or so, I had the brakes serviced in March but this problem happened before then, I'm bringing it in for an oil change and I'll have them check it out but I would like to have a clue before.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 AM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Sounds like the ABS system engaging for some reason

Old 09-10-2016, 07:25 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Did the problem come about suddenly after some event?
Describe any noise type, fore or aft, when it happens.
Any change in pedal feel when it happens?
Any warning lights lit, or flickering?
Is this an auto tranny?
Use your ELM scan tool running FORScan on the viewing device of your choice & have it scan All of the vehicle computer/controllers for set or pending trouble code clues & post All code Numbers.
The inexpensive ELM scan tool & freeware FORScan can be had for Way less than it'll cost for shop time to scan for trouble code clues.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
Thanks PawPaw, it's an automatic tranny and it just showed up one day, like I said in the orig post it happens sporadically at low speeds, I checked Google for other people who have this prob and it is rather common with Ford but no one has definitely nailed down the cause other than it might have something to do with the ABS.

I have an ELM scan tool that I run with Torque Pro but I'll have the download FORScan.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:12 AM
pawpaw
Ok good feedback. When this happens, do you hear anything, or feel anything in the brake pedal, or see the speed-o hang up, or see the ABS, or tranny OD light flash?
Are you noticing any cruise control problems, like it dropping out, or not wanting to take a set, or the tranny shifting acting up, or the AB light flickering on when this happens?
FORScan can query All of the vehicle computer/controllers, so if their are any pending, or set trouble code clues it'll likely be able to find them & they may be able to help focus on a suspect.
You might consider plugging in the ELM when you drive & see if it can grab a snapshot of something acting out as you drive, or when this anomaly happens.
Don't leave it plugged in, as it can run the battery down if the vehicle sits for days without being driven.

EDIT: Does this puppy have the two piece drive shaft?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
PawPaw, I ran FORScan yesterday and the only errors that came up were 2 for the driver's window which shudders when going down, the ABS system had no errors, the problem is getting more frequent so it's time to take it to a shop.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:24 AM
pawpaw
Ok, let us know what they find.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rangergolfer
I have a 2000 ranger xlt extended cab 4x4 that has an intermittent brake problem, when I am coming to a stop at a slow speed the brakes seem to slip about one in twenty times, this slippage is only for five feet or so, I had the brakes serviced in March but this problem happened before then, I'm bringing it in for an oil change and I'll have them check it out but I would like to have a clue before.
is the pavement wet when this happens?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:09 PM
hytwr1
New User
I am curious what he finds too. My 2000 Ranger has been having similar issues when it is wet, like raining and you have to stop hard. The vehicle slides (one of the front brakes locks up) and you can feel the ABS kick in but there is no ABS light flashing. I think this started after Ford installed the cruise control jumper recall.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:07 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
I'm bringing the truck in Mon., the mechanic and I do also think it's something going on with the ABS, I hope it's simple like a wheel sensor, I'll post when I get the diagnosis.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:11 AM
pawpaw
Did driving with the ELM/Forscan combo plugged in, or a trouble code scan turn up any suspect clues?

Old 10-01-2016, 08:55 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
I had something a few years ago where in the last few feet of a stop the brakes would lock up. On dry pavement it would slam the whole chassis like I hit something, on wet pavement the truck would slide a few feet. New drums on rear solved it though visually there was nothing wrong with the existing drums.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:12 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Did driving with the ELM/Forscan combo plugged in, or a trouble code scan turn up any suspect clues?
I never did that, perhaps I should have, I just did a static test.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:45 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Ok, let us know what they find.
I just got a call from the garage, he said both front wheel sensors are bad due to rust, going to be $400-$500 as the sensors are $200 each, hope that's the problem.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:03 PM
pawpaw
Ask them what ABS trouble codes causes them to think this will fix the problem & if they'll guarantee in writing that this will fix the problem.
Kinda sounds like all they need is cleaning, if they & FORScan didn't find any trouble code clues.
You should check the online price of both sensors, with a 30% off promo code they both can be had for about $50 & as it's a plug & play replacement, that you could do yourself & save a tidy wad of your gold!
If they replace the sensors, ask for the old parts before you leave.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ranger brake problem.