Mtphammers Engine Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mtphammers Engine Build Thread

To start, don't get excited. This was my first engine build ever and I'm only going to give an outline of what I did. I'm just not experienced enough to teach people on this subject. Sorry.
Camshaft: Comp 252H
Valves: Out of a Pontiac v8, maybe a 389?
Springs: Unknown, but if you need to know I'll contact the machinist and ask what he supplied me.
Head: A carbureted 300 head with the correct casting so I can run a serpentine belt setup.
Block: 1990 300 bored over 30 thousandths.
Rods: Original
Pistons: Sealed power hypereutectic 4.030

Here are some pics of the build. My dog did insist on "helping" for awhile but that's the only distraction I had. This will be going into my 1953 F250 with a five speed. This will be its first fresh engine since it was built. Intended use will be towing, hauling, and general utility that a daily driver encounters on a ranch.

Attached Images                     
Old 09-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
I did port the head myself to make room for all that extra air the new cam and valves are going to let in and out. I took the finished product to a local machinist to ask for a few pointers before I polished the exhaust. He said I was done. He offered me a job! Unfortunately I had to decline after hearing the hours because they interfered with my classes. Oh well. Here's a before pic of one of the exhaust ports:

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
And here's the after pic:
(That is of course before I polished it all. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of that.)

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
That was FUN, wasn't it? Throw the spark plugs that got painted away.
Looking good.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer
That was FUN, wasn't it? Throw the spark plugs that got painted away.
Looking good.
It was fun Frenchy! (I can call you that right?)
Yes, those plugs are from the old engine. Some new E3 plugs are in it currently.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
By the way, I am going to be your Guinea pig for the FiTech fuel injection system.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:25 PM
ClassicINf250
New User
did you ever get the fitech installed? if you did how do you like it?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Hey Mtphammer, that looks great. I missed this thread earlier, so it was nice to see.

As for the serpentine setup, what all's entailed in that? Hadn't really thought about it before, but it might be a nice thing to do on mine.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:24 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco

As for the serpentine setup, what all's entailed in that? Hadn't really thought about it before, but it might be a nice thing to do on mine.
I'm doing the serpentine conversion on all my 240/300's. It basically requires the entire accessory set up off an EFI 4.9L. You need the harmonic dampner, waterpump, water pump pulley, accessory mounting brackets, tensioner, idlers if not running all the same accessories ( like A/C compressor or air pump ), Alt. pulley and PS pump pulley.

The easiest/cheapest way to do it is to pick up a complete EFI engine core. Then you get every part you might need ( unless dampner is bad ) . Otherwise find a complete EFI engine in a salvage yard and pull everything. And the best set ups to find are the ones in the Econoline vans. They have the Saginaw PS pump set ups. Make sure to grab the hoses with the PS pump if you go that way.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Finally got around to installing my FiTech fuel injection system. Make sure you have a really good battery with a decent amount of cranking amps.

Attached Images   
Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 AM
AbandonedBronco
That looks awesome. Have you test driven it yet? If so, how was it?
And if you don't mind, how much did the whole FiTech setup set you back?

Old 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Guhfluh
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
That looks awesome. Have you test driven it yet? If so, how was it?
And if you don't mind, how much did the whole FiTech setup set you back?
The FITECH 600 power adder is $1200 with a $100 rebate right now, til 12/31. That is without a EFI pump, but it does have a built in regulator.

I'm curious on the valve sizes that were used. They look huge in there. I'm sure low lift flow is going to be much better as long as the walls don't shroud too much.

And make sure to check out any exhaust port mismatch when you put the manifolds on. With increasing the head port size, you may run into some. I had to open up my manifolds some and be very careful on alignment when I bolted them back on. Same with the intake.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
It looks great. The only things I would have changed are brass free plugs, metal cam gear, and a header. But, to each their own. Well done!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Thought I'd update this thread because I've got some comments and concerns about the FI Tech fuel injection system.

First of all, the system utilizes a O2 sensor that requires it to be as far upstream in the exhaust as possible. Also, in order for it to self tune properly on an in-line six engine this sensor has to be reading all of the exhaust from each cylinder. I had it reading just one manifold at first and it ran like absolute garbage. Also, putting the sensor further downstream in the exhaust to the "y" is to far and causes it to run like garbage.

Secondly, as far as I'm concerned this system needs to used with a single outlet manifold that came stock in carbed trucks. I will be using one for my truck because I like the fact that there is no coolant hoses to clutter up my engine bay. Drivability dramatically increases when you ditch the duals with this system. Throttle response is very snappy and crisp.

Third: many of you may wonder why this system is still worth it after hearing about not being able to run dual exhaust. These are just my opinions, but in my opinion this is still a step up from a carb in my book. I expect my fuel economy to be considerably better than a carb. I also don't believe that there will be a measurable decrease in performance between the dual exhaust and what I am going to.

Attached Images     
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM
AbandonedBronco
Thanks for the updates and the information on this system. Good to know! I'm going to be looking into one of these systems (or one similar) in the near future.

Originally Posted by Mtphammer

First of all, the system utilizes a O2 sensor that requires it to be as far upstream in the exhaust as possible. Also, in order for it to self tune properly on an in-line six engine this sensor has to be reading all of the exhaust from each cylinder. I had it reading just one manifold at first and it ran like absolute garbage. Also, putting the sensor further downstream in the exhaust to the "y" is to far and causes it to run like garbage.
What do you mean by "running like garbage"? What were the symptoms?

By the looks of it, weren't you using the stock system? Isn't the Y on the stock system quite a bit further down? I'm curious what something like the Walker Y-Pipe would do (considering that the Y comes together only inches after the two manifolds, and the O2 bung is directly after. If I recall correctly, the O2 sensor is about 4" from the end of the rear manifold.

Secondly, as far as I'm concerned this system needs to used with a single outlet manifold that came stock in carbed trucks. I will be using one for my truck because I like the fact that there is no coolant hoses to clutter up my engine bay. Drivability dramatically increases when you ditch the duals with this system. Throttle response is very snappy and crisp.
Have you thought about looking into the stock heavy duty exhaust manifold? You'd have the single outlet and a higher flowing system. I think it'd work really well in that regard.

Quick Reply: Mtphammers Engine Build Thread