1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Little Dearborn news

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:22 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Little Dearborn news

A couple of days ago I went to a longtime Ford parts store, Little Dearborn, in Minneapolis and I was speechless when I was told they were sort of closing. They have sold their building as it is being swallowed up by constant new construction at the University of MN. My understanding is they will be having five auctions and hopefully set up a smaller operation somewhere else in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. This isn't just a Ford parts store to many of us. It is more of an institution. When I am looking for new parts for my '53 tonner most of the time I go there & pick up the parts. No waiting, no shipping fees, and lots of good conversation & advice. The first auction is called Automotive & Petroliana Antiques. It will be held on September 28th. You can find the items list by going to Grafe Auctions & scrolling down the auctions to Little Dearborn. You'll find an impressive list of interesting and unusual Ford items. The next four auctions will be parts. Model T, Model A, cars and truck parts through the fifties. This is a place that will be greatly missed.

Grant

Old 09-07-2016, 10:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I had heard this on another forum. You're right, it is almost an institution. Not sure why they don't just move?

Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
They are a throwback business in a neighborhood that doesn't need them to be there. They are half a block from a number of UofM dorms / off campus apartment complexes with a building that is worth much less than the land beneath it.

As for why they just don't move? My guess is the business has suffered from the internet age like many brick 'n mortor houses.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:57 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Somebody will buy some of the inventory in bulk at penny on the dollar or less. The expense comes in getting the items into the buyers inventory/sales system and in physically getting it stored someplace where they can find it. Sadly some of the less often sold but none-the-less rare item may never be seen again . . . sold to the junk man.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:06 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Here is the link to the auction.
http://www.globalauctionguide.com/mi...-s-349206.html

I see a few rare parts in this first auction but some of our Canadian members would probably like to have this sign:
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...5&lid=32022713

Old 09-09-2016, 06:21 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Originally Posted by petemcl
Here is the link to the auction.
http://www.globalauctionguide.com/mi...-s-349206.html

I see a few rare parts in this first auction but some of our Canadian members would probably like to have this sign:
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...5&lid=32022713
Thanks for posting this link Pete. After going through this auction listing, just think, they plan on having four more. That would be part of the reason for not just moving to another location.

Grant

Old 09-09-2016, 06:48 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Same thing happened at the University of Nebraska they needed more room so they could build sports fields and more state of the art shacks. The state fair went to Grand Island and a lot of small business got gobbled up doesn't matter what it is the big money will get it. The state fair has helped my home town so what the hell. Next thing they will try to gobble up Speed Way Motors (not)

Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
So can I or anyone else bid on these items? I clicked to register and it asked what auction company I am with. And I had to pay $360 to register.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Originally Posted by abe
So can I or anyone else bid on these items? I clicked to register and it asked what auction company I am with. And I had to pay $360 to register.
I don't know what you did Abe, but you got me curious, so I tried putting in a bid. I went to the grafe auction site & to the proxy bid tab to get registered for free. Once that was done I went to the Little Dearborn sale listing & placed a bid to make sure it worked & it did. I plan on attending the sale but it's good to be registered just in case something comes up. Good luck & happy bidding.

Grant

Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 tonner
I don't know what you did Abe, but you got me curious, so I tried putting in a bid. I went to the grafe auction site & to the proxy bid tab to get registered for free. Once that was done I went to the Little Dearborn sale listing & placed a bid to make sure it worked & it did. I plan on attending the sale but it's good to be registered just in case something comes up. Good luck & happy bidding.

Grant
I don't know what I did either. But I did it right this time and am registered and bid on a couple of items.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:14 PM
1952 Ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looked through every item; lots of very interesting things for sale. I will definitely be bidding on some of those old advertising signs. Thanks for sharing and its too bad that they are closing down.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
My wife & I stopped at Little Dearborn today to pick up some parts for our f350 and I asked if we could get a quick tour of the building. My head is still spinning. I knew there would be quite a bit of inventory, but walking through the rows & rows of shelves was surprising. They are in an old two story brick building plus basement and high ceilings. 30,000 sq. ft. of shelves full of old Ford parts neatly organized. My understanding is the business will continue with different ownership in a smaller building. The first auction is next Wednesday, Sept. 28th with over 500 lots. This is the smallest of the five auctions they will be having with a total of about 5,000 lots. The auction company is organizing this with several items in some of the lots. They have been so busy helping customers that they had to start closing the business at 3:30 to have time to get ready for the auctions and ship out orders. I'm going to miss having them in their current location, but it's great for the owners to retire after so many years in business.

Grant

Old 09-29-2016, 12:18 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Based on my sporatic samping of the bid response during the first auction, the owners will be cashing out quite nicely, thank you very much. Between the signs, promotional items, greasey tin cans, and random NOS parts some whopper prices were set. Still sad to see them go.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Based on my sporatic samping of the bid response during the first auction, the owners will be cashing out quite nicely, thank you very much. Between the signs, promotional items, greasey tin cans, and random NOS parts some whopper prices were set. Still sad to see them go.
I thought the prices were high too. . Several items went beyond my limit. This despite the fact that their website had a lot of problems. Maybe because it was overloaded.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 AM
53 tonner
Tuned
I was at their first auction from 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM & they still had quite a bit to sell. It was interesting to watch the on-site bidders bidding against the online bidders. Like every auction I've been to, some item prices seemed high & others low. Depends on whether you're a buyer, seller, or just a curious person drinking coffee (that was me). Next week, October 11 & 12, they will have two more online auctions. You can check them out on the Grafe auction site or LittleDearbornParts.com. Many of the items on the next auctions are for older Fords and most lots have a wide variety of items included. After that, their next two auctions will be later in October. Both of those auctions are for manuals, sales brochures, etc. Their library is huge with around 1200 items/lots included in those two sales.

Grant

Quick Reply: Little Dearborn news