Online Paint Sources

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Online Paint Sources

There use to be quite a few local auto paint stores in my area but now is seems they are far and few between. I would like to know if there's an online automotive paint suppler where I can provide the paint code and they mix the necessary ingredients? A 'do it myself' paint job 10 years ago on the 1965 F100; unfortunately, a color not in the Ford Color Wheel, and I have been taking flak for selecting the color since? Primarily just for touch-up for now and paint another color at a later date?

Appreciate suggestions/comments!!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-07-2016, 09:16 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
I greatly appreciate the suggestion! Consequently emailed TCP and inquired if they mix paints; if not, perhaps they can offer recommend or suggestions?

Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Some times just get lucky!! Rec'd response from TCP, based on info provided they suggest going to the 'Restoration Paint' section on their website where I found a series of drop down menu's; chip code, manufacturer's code, name of paint color, etc.,and it came up with what is supposedly the correct color paint; unfortunately no paint chip to review? Anyhow, placed the order, now awaiting with bated breath; considering the amount of time spent calling, and checking with local paint shops, only took me a matter of a few minutes to locate what I hope is same/similar to the correct paint color?

I do appreciate the referral!!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:25 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
No problem. I have a friend that used them and had good results.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Serf27
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send me a Pm, I use a paint supplier via phone and has always been great. i usually give him the color code and tell him how much I need and he makes it ans ships it out. I found him through another forum.
He also has any type of supplies tou will need.
I can't find his website, but I'm sure he will take care of you.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Serf27
Send me a Pm, I use a paint supplier via phone and has always been great. i usually give him the color code and tell him how much I need and he makes it ans ships it out. I found him through another forum.
He also has any type of supplies tou will need.
I can't find his website, but I'm sure he will take care of you.
Greatly appreciate your assistance. Placed the order and should have more than enough paint for the amount of touch up I intend to do. Not sure I want to try a 'do it myselfer' paint job again in the future; regardless, it aint going to be the same color, taken enough flack about my choice?

Again, I thank you!!

Old 09-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Serf27
New User
Nice, and you're welcome! Hope it comes out looking good.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:36 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Nice, and you're welcome! Hope it comes out looking good.
In a manner of speaking, some times just get lucky! Awaiting delivery of the paint, parked the 65 F100 on the side of the road leaning towards the fuel filler neck. After setting in the hot sun the entire day, fuel seeped out the cap and beneath the paint causing it to peeled from the cap to the bottom of the cab.

Prepped for painting and just applied the 1st coat, TCP color recipe is right on, very pleased. It is Acrylic Enamel, the instructions advises to wait until the next day to apply the 2nd coat??? *** My question: Not sure if I know what 'orange peel' would look like but there appears to be minor flaws in my 1st application; although severity seems to be minimizing as the coat sets up; can I sand between coats, perhaps 400 grit wet/dry??

Again, thanks to U's all for the help!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:27 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
I wouldn't sand it with 400 it will be too coarse. I would wet sand it with 800 if need be. I'm no pro but I had to do that with my sealer and I'm glad I didn't go any coarser than 800 before the paint.
Here's how mine turned out

Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
I thank you, I do have wet/dry up to 2000 grit. Since 1st coat has had time to dry not looking that bad. Probly hit lightly with sand paper tomorrow and stop after the 2nd coat?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:09 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
The paint I had said 2 coats but there's realistically 4 on it. I don't think it hurts to put a little extra on if you have plans of wet sanding and buffing it for some reason when done.

Right or wrong we used a lot less reducer than what it called for and added extra hardener. The paint seemed thin enough as it was and as you can see it laid down very nice on mine with hardly any orange peel.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PA74F250
The paint I had said 2 coats but there's realistically 4 on it. I don't think it hurts to put a little extra on if you have plans of wet sanding and buffing it for some reason when done.

Right or wrong we used a lot less reducer than what it called for and added extra hardener. The paint seemed thin enough as it was and as you can see it laid down very nice on mine with hardly any orange peel.
Oh, by the way, great looking truck!! Spoke to tech staff who suggestion I would only need the hardener, and no need for a reducer? The mixture certainly looked thin, same experience where the paint laid very nicely and what initially looked like major flaws gradually became very minor as the coat dried, pleasantly surprise with the outcome.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Serf27
New User
I hope you haven't sanded it with 800 or 2000 yet.

For color, you should be at least at 400-600 grit.

If the techs say it just needs hardener, then thats all it needs. Maybe a tiny bit of reducer if to get it to lay flatter.

I agree with 74f250, you should at least 4 coats on there, in case you want to sand and buff it later on.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:44 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
I hope you haven't sanded it with 800 or 2000 yet.

For color, you should be at least at 400-600 grit.

If the techs say it just needs hardener, then thats all it needs. Maybe a tiny bit of reducer if to get it to lay flatter.

I agree with 74f250, you should at least 4 coats on there, in case you want to sand and buff it later on.
Just applied the 2nd coat, yep, used 1500 before applying, at this point not sure it matter, just prior to finishing applying the 2nd coat the cheapo water separate split and immediately went into my panic mode; what a mess, leaving couple runs. Unfortunately, need the truck temporarily, mechanic is currently working on my only other running vehicle?? Intend installing the filler tube and gasket and drive the truck until the other vehicle is up and running. The repair does not involve a large area so figure to prep, mask, and using my orbital sander, with the 400-600 hook & loop disc, it should not be as labor intensive. Bottom line, I was not prepared for any mishaps, and painting among the redwoods is not the best situation for painting? First thing on my agenda will be to hit the paint supply store for supplies.

Greatly appreciate the input!!

Quick Reply: Online Paint Sources