Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

challenging tonneau cover question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:51 AM
red_wingzz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb challenging tonneau cover question

I have a long bed 2002 F350. I recently installed a vanguard cap rack system( type that allows cap to be put on and taken off with rack still intact) Im looking for a product or creative ideas on installing a tonneau cover along, beside, or under bedrails. Pleeeeeze help. oh and the cap will be off when i use the cover

--thanks alot!

-J

Old 07-16-2003, 11:44 AM
red_wingzz
New User

WOW......nobody can step up to the plate eh? ........ i cant figure it out either

Old 07-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Plow Jockey
New User

Sportmasters make a nice tonneau.
I have the hinged soft cover.
Comes off, in one piece, by unsnaping front rail and three snaps on front side rails, two hinge pins and gas lift struts. (no tools)
Front rail comes off with 4 phillips screws.

Old 07-17-2003, 08:35 AM
harria3
Freshman User

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind.

If you can find a tonneau cover to fit inbetween the bed rails, you could make yourself a bracket to hold it. I'm thinking of a rail that goes the length of the bedrail and sticks into the bed 1-2 inches, where you'll attach the tonneau cover. But you'd have to seal it really well all around. And with the cap on, you'd have sheet metal sticking into the bed, taking up your cargo space.

I always wanted to have an interchangable system too. But was thinking about a pulley lift in a garage or barn that would let me drive under the pulley, install or remove the cap or tonneau cover at will with the lift, and just tighten it down with a few bolts.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Bluehawk
More Turbo

I have an Access Tonneau cover. It fits inside the bedrails. It has 2 rails that attach to the inside of the bedrails with clamps like your cap uses. The front piece is attached to the side rails with 2 bolts. The bows are attached to the cover and roll up with the cover. There is no rear bar, as it is attached to the rear of the cover, and gives support as you roll it up. The cover can be rolled up from 1 side without drooping in the middle. It also is locked in place when the rear piece is snapped into the lock. The sides velcro onto the siderails, and when you use the screw tensioners to adjust the tension of the cover, you can't get your arm under it. The cover also has a ripstop material which helps keep anyone from cutting it with a knife. Mine cost around $350 - $400, but, I feel it is one of the best on the market. Also, if your rack extends around the bedrails, you can trim a notch in the siderails of the cover with no problem. I had to do this when I mounted my rallybar ontop of the bedrails. It had a piece that wrapped around the bedrail to serve as a clamp. Just trimmed a notch in the siderail, then sealed it with a foam seal tape.

Bluehawk

Old 07-18-2003, 03:10 PM
1BADF350_4XCREW7.3
Senior User

I'm not too sure about the Vanguard system, although I've seen other caps. I'm using a BedLocker electric cover (they also have a manual one, not trick enough 4me ) which attaches inside the bedrails with clamps and rails that run the length of the bed. The rails don't completely cover the SD bed rails or plugs where a rack would mount, so you might be able to trim for clearance on your rack kit.

Although the cover is extruded aluminum, it isn't intended to support a load. With the electric kit you lose about 8 inches from the front of the bed. Nice kit, excellent support, I only wish they had a powder coat that would live up to the AZ sun beating down on it year round.

Not sure this answered your Q, hope it helps.