Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

keep finding things

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Rexp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep finding things

i like to just crawl under a new truck and lay there and look.
i discovered today that the 3.5ltt is now a 3.5lttaac.(3.5l twin turbo air to air after cooled) never thought about it being after cooled. when this air cleaner is ready to change it will be replaced with K&N.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure I understand what you're saying but it's very common to have the intercooler between the turbo and throttle body.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Rexp
Junior User
Smile

Originally Posted by Blakshukvw
Not sure I understand what you're saying but it's very common to have the intercooler between the turbo and throttle body.

I am sorry. On class 8 truck it is called air to air on cars it is called intercooler. I didn't realize it was all that common. My 6.7 had one, just never thought about the 3.5 having one. It does make sense, helps Ford get more power out of it.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 PM
HotLap
Senior User
LOL, to the OP, I do the same, like to check out how Ford engineered/built our trucks for sure! A bit off topic but...have you guys ever thought about wrapping (insulating) the plastic air intake tubes to reduce heat from the engine bay warming up the intake air, after it's been through the intercooler...I hope that makes sense?

Old 09-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Rexp
Junior User
Question

Originally Posted by HotLap
LOL, to the OP, I do the same, like to check out how Ford engineered/built our trucks for sure! A bit off topic but...have you guys ever thought about wrapping (insulating) the plastic air intake tubes to reduce heat from the engine bay warming up the intake air, after it's been through the intercooler...I hope that makes sense?

i know the cooler the air the air the better. How about an ac condensor in front of the intercooler, or a little propane injection in to the cooler.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:24 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
May as well go to water/methanol injection man. Let's do it!

Old 09-17-2016, 02:21 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexp
i like to just crawl under a new truck and lay there and look.
i discovered today that the 3.5ltt is now a 3.5lttaac.(3.5l twin turbo air to air after cooled) never thought about it being after cooled. when this air cleaner is ready to change it will be replaced with K&N.
You will regret using the K&N on your turbo'd engine. It lets in too much dust to start with and you will get oil in/on your turbo vanes causing inbalance. Stick with dry filters, you don't need the "extra" flow in a forced induction engine.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:57 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i know the cooler the air the air the better. How about an ac condensor in front of the intercooler, or a little propane injection in to the cooler.

Condenser sheds heat. Unless of course the evap is being used for a heat pump then the condenser would be cooling.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I don't think the K&N filter is a good idea. Higher flow by sacrificing filtration, and turbochargers spinning at 150,000 RPMs are quite sensitive to dust.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Rexp
Junior User
well ididn't realize these little TOY turbos were so sensitive, most turbos would burn any oil that made its way to them. The K&N filtered just fine in the 6.7, But that was a TOY diesel compared to what i am used to. How many failures have been reported because of the K&N filter? Just saying ,new to the wonderful world of gas engines (again) didn't realize they were touchy now days.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:40 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Most engines can survive more dirt through the intake just fine. It's really a mater of personal preference if you want to choose a filter that COULD let in oil, and WILL let in more dirt. Failures due to this are very uncommon.

Then again, I know guys who don't use air filters at all. And live on dirt roads.

Myself, I don't see the point of using a worse filter when it costs more, but maybe I'm simple-minded.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Rexp
Junior User
i did not realize the K&N was so bad have used them for years, they do let in more air.
have never had an oil problem, not enough oil on one to hurt any thing. Is this a proven fact that they let in more dirt, or just another filter maker say so.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I ran k&n on my eclipse f over 160k miles and the turbo was bigger than the ones in the truck and never once had an issue. Oil it properly and you'll be fine, too much oil and you'll just have a huge mess under the hood.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
well ididn't realize these little TOY turbos were so sensitive, most turbos would burn any oil that made its way to them. The K&N filtered just fine in the 6.7, But that was a TOY diesel compared to what i am used to. How many failures have been reported because of the K&N filter? Just saying ,new to the wonderful world of gas engines (again) didn't realize they were touchy now days.
It's not that they are touchy so much as they spin at really high RPM because of their size. The turbos you are used to spin at 50,000-80,000 RPM. These little guys go at twice that speed. Air velocity is going to be ~~ twice what you might be used to.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've installed cold air intakes on many turbo cars, even some that use these exact same turbos. Never seen an issue with the oil from the filter causing an imbalance on the turbo wheel. I have seen the oil get on the Maf sensor and cause issue though.
That being said, I don't think I'll ever run a k&n filter on another engine of mine. I personally feel like they have to sacrifice filtration for more air intake thus allowing more dirt in the engine. There may be other brands that offer more filtration with a higher air flow though.

Quick Reply: keep finding things