Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 idi smoke from intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM
christofalex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.9 idi smoke from intake

this trucks injection pump went out and the truck sat for 14 years now i am trying to get the truck running again a new injection pump and injectors were put on in 2004 but the timing was off off when it was put in now the timing has supposidly been put back properly but now while i'm cranking the motor there is white smoke coming out of the intake and i do have fuel to the injectors

Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its hard to tell whats going on without hearing it crank. Unless intake valves are not seating properly (rust) there should not be noticeable smoke coming from the intake. It most likely has air in the injection system, common from sitting. These can be difficult to bleed. There are several post on this. Also glow plugs need to be tested as it will not start without them, again several posts on them. You should also check the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump. Ive seen rust holes where it comes out of the tank (sending unit) any where it suck air will make it nearly impossible to start.
If you can see an actual spirt of fuel when you bleed the injector your close but if you only see bubbling there is still air. As for timing these are quite simple to time just line up the marks and you there. Pumps only fit in one way.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 PM
christofalex
New User
Here's a video of it cranking just mind the caption and i did have the passanger side valve cover off at one point and i did see rust on the pushrods but i didn't notice any on the valves other than that it looked good on the passenger side

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (635.1 KB, 362 views)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 AM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Took my a while to find a device that would play that video. That smoke is normal its from the crankcase ventilation system (pcv) its from blow by of the pistons, if you take off the oil fill cap it would come out there. Motor sounds typical for one that has been sitting, now you have to determine if its a fuel on glow plug issue or both. If after long cranking there is blue smoke out the tail pipe its the glow plugs, but my guess is air in the system. The simple fix is to install an electric fuel pump, there are several post on that subject.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 PM
christofalex
New User
Yes i do get blue smoke out of the tail pipe after it sorta get's fuel to the injectors i'll actually properly hook up the fuel tank before i try to get it started again and i did check on the glow plugs and they were all dead (Controller went bad) i'll be picking up a full set tomorrow and hopefully be trying to get it running again

Old 09-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by christofalex
Here's a video of it cranking just mind the caption and i did have the passanger side valve cover off at one point and i did see rust on the pushrods but i didn't notice any on the valves other than that it looked good on the passenger side

It looks like your hood to cowl seal might be bad. If it's leaking, water can run onto the air cleaner and into the intake and can cause very big problems (hydrolock) if too much water goes down the intake.

As a temporary remedy I put a piece of stiff clear plastic (whatever works) over the air cleaner to divert water when it rained a lot - until I ordered a new hood to cowl seal from LMCtruck.com

I hope you bought Motorcraft (Made by Beru) glow plugs! If not you'd better plan on replacing them prematurely before they go bad and the tips swell up making them difficult to remove.

The old style controller failing and taking out glow plugs with it is just one of several very good reasons to convert the old style controller to the 7.3 style solid state controller. There is no way that you can make a glow plug manual push button conversion match the simple intelligence and performance advantages of a solid state controller. However, it's still a matter of preference, if not affordability.

Good luck

Old 09-14-2016, 09:12 PM
christofalex
New User
Yes of course i bought motorcraft glowplugs i believe in doing it right the first time but i did test the motor a little bit more and found my timing is correct however i'm having major compression loss on most of my cylinders ie i have bad rings or my valve guide seals are bad or as you stated it could've very easily gotten water in it so i've found someone i know that'll sell me a 7.3 for $250 if it runs good