1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Short bed 4-door diesel project

Old 09-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford F834
If you made them out of sheet aluminum you could remedy the speaker hole area by cutting in the grilles from a 85/86 XLT fabric door trim insert. Paint the grille black and put black pin stripes around the edge of the door panel like the rosewood ones have...

Interesting idea. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2016, 06:37 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Leroy is off base on almost everything he said.

Rust-Mort is (and always has been) phosphoric acid based.
read the SDS... https://www.semproducts.com/rust-and...rs/rust-morttm

Hydrochloric (muratic) acid leaves iron &steel with NO coating and the corrosive cloud of vapor will travel downwind getting into places you have no way to protect.

While Rust-Mort is great for brush application, I find Ospho (or generic) in a cheap pump sprayer much easier to cover everything.

Fluidfilm is lanolin based iirc and doesn't seem to have any of the drawbacks of undercoating.
Bulk sheep grease and petroleum jelly are pretty cheap to mix with a gallon of odorless paint thinner and spray on.

I want to find a wand that sprays 360* so i can get down either side of the cowl and up inside the A pillar

This is a really cool project.
Thanks for taking the time to share It here on the forum.
Not really a wand you can use but has a 360* end on it and it work pretty good on the 360* spray.
Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol
I have used it on a 1 year only hood between frame & skin to keep it from rotting out. I will also use it on the "A" pillars, a long the roof skin and inner frame, rockers and rear wheel wells to stop rust / rot.

I have also used this on my car project where I can get a paint brush at.
Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator - Paint Over Rust
Dave ----

Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I fluid film my trucks just before snow season starts. I use a 6 pack to do the entire truck(inside doors, rockers, cab covers, inner fenders(front and rear), radiator support, tailgate, cab crossmember, bed crossmember, etc

Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
That NOS piece is niece enough to put on the wall under glass, so maybe you could do as I'm thinking and start with Rosewood parts and hydrodip everything.
Gary, the more I think about it the more I am leaning toward doing just that. It seems really lame to buy it and not put it in my truck, but this is a "user" vehicle that will have to be parked outside. The Arizona heat and UV is absolutely brutal on paint and plastics. I was looking at my F700 aluminum radio bezel that baked into a dull grey chalky mess and wondering how long the NOS bezel would stay looking nice. Throwing a blanket or towel over the dash when parked would certainly help, but maybe a cloned stunt-double would be an even better answer.

Chris sent me a better image of the medium duty truck interior. You can see the door trim panels much better. The black pin stripe is clearly visible, as well as the speaker grille. Notice that all of the instrument gauge needles are WHITE. The 3,500rpm tach that I got from David has a white needle as well. Not faded, but painted fluorescent white. It looks sharp. I don't think it would look particularly good on my diesel cluster with the red/yellow tach zones, but for a regular cluster it is an interesting alternative to the fluorescent orange.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I see what you mean about the speaker bezel. But, if a thick enough piece of aluminum were used you could just mill slots into it and put speaker cloth on the back.

As for the needles, the white looks very good with the aluminum. ��

Old 09-22-2016, 12:10 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Old 09-22-2016, 03:12 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
There's always Cosmoline (except in California)

Cosmoline - Industrial Grade Long-Term Rust Preventive | Cosmoline Direct

I don't care for the smell but it works and is easy to apply.
I've used Cosmoline for years (inside of door panels, tailgates,etc.) and the smell goes away after a while but never any rust. Has anyone used 3X Encapusulator ? Quite a few good reviews on it and it's not terribly expensive.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:15 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Gary, the more I think about it the more I am leaning toward doing just that. It seems really lame to buy it and not put it in my truck, but this is a "user" vehicle that will have to be parked outside. The Arizona heat and UV is absolutely brutal on paint and plastics. I was looking at my F700 aluminum radio bezel that baked into a dull grey chalky mess and wondering how long the NOS bezel would stay looking nice. Throwing a blanket or towel over the dash when parked would certainly help, but maybe a cloned stunt-double would be an even better answer.

Chris sent me a better image of the medium duty truck interior. You can see the door trim panels much better. The black pin stripe is clearly visible, as well as the speaker grille. Notice that all of the instrument gauge needles are WHITE. The 3,500rpm tach that I got from David has a white needle as well. Not faded, but painted fluorescent white. It looks sharp. I don't think it would look particularly good on my diesel cluster with the red/yellow tach zones, but for a regular cluster it is an interesting alternative to the fluorescent orange.

I'm likin' that steering wheel.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
I'm likin' that steering wheel.
Funny you should mention that; the ONLY place I've seen that steering wheel is in a brochure like this, never have I seen one in real life.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Funny you should mention that; the ONLY place I've seen that steering wheel is in a brochure like this, never have I seen one in real life.
I will second that... the four-spoke wheel looks awesome but I have never seen one. All the medium duty trucks I have seen have two-spoke steering wheels like this:

As for the needles, the white looks very good with the aluminum.
Gary, I am starting to wonder if the white needle gauges came with the custom cab silver bezel trucks only. Notice in the pic above that the 3,500rpm tach has an orange needle. The NOS 3,500rpm tach David spotted on eBay has an orange needle. The 4,000rpm tach and 4,500rpm tachs David has both have orange needles. However the 3,500rpm tach in the brochure and the one David sent to me have white needles... coincidence?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:40 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Maybe the new Holy Grail ? That steering wheel with the trim panels ?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Maybe it isn't a coincidence. The white just looks better with the cool aluminum, so maybe someone at Ford figured that out?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Maybe it isn't a coincidence. The white just looks better with the cool aluminum, so maybe someone at Ford figured that out?
How many licks does it take to get to the end of a Tootsie Pop Drop ? One may never know !

Old 09-23-2016, 07:02 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Ford F834;16593852]I will second that... the four-spoke wheel looks awesome but I have never seen one. All the medium duty trucks I have seen have two-spoke steering wheels like this:

Jonathan, what is the switch to the right of the headlight switch? It looks like transfer case? And, it is mounted similar to where the factory Fog light switch would be.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
[QUOTE=1986F150six;16594557]
I will second that... the four-spoke wheel looks awesome but I have never seen one. All the medium duty trucks I have seen have two-spoke steering wheels like this:

Jonathan, what is the switch to the right of the headlight switch? It looks like transfer case? And, it is mounted similar to where the factory Fog light switch would be.
This isn't my image, but from what I can make out it is a split rear axle high range/low range switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short bed 4-door diesel project