1989 460 EFI into 1964 F250. Any way to keep EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 PM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
1989 460 EFI into 1964 F250. Any way to keep EFI?

I have a 1964 F250 Chassis Mounted Camper. The motor in it is a 292 and I hurt it a couple of weeks ago on the way back from a camping trip. The trip was about 130 miles one way. Small hills but I ran it with my foot all the way to the floor on the way up and back. Top speed was just over 65 MPH. It started to white smoke on the way back when I was pulling a travel trailer. Now it really smokes, Driver side compression is about 100 PSI. Passenger side compression is 50 to 60 PSI. I wonder if I lost the oiling on the passenger side valve train?
I was looking for a bigger engine and a tranny with overdrive in it and picked up a complete 1989 F250 with a 460 EFI and the ZF 5 transmission. Is there a way to keep the fuel injection or do I need a carb adapter plate so I can mount a carb? How about the distributer? Do I need to go back a few years and get one for it without all the extra wires in it?

Here is my 1964 F250 camper with a smoking motor.

The 292 has a job pulling around the camper. fuel mileage is 6 to 6.5 MPG.

This is a 1962 Metzendorf camper I was pulling when it started to smoke.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
JMO just get the adapter and run a 4bbl. To make the factory EFI work you are talking the factory computer and harness.

Does the ZF have a speedo connection?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:31 AM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
It does have the speedo connector. The 460 in the 1989 runs great and the shifting is really nice. A little leak on the rear tranny output shaft.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You have to take the computer and all its wiring and all the sensors that the computer hooks to and install it in your truck. Plus you have to either install the gas tank from the donor truck or install a high pressue pump in your fuel system. It is doable but it is quite a project. .

Old 09-05-2016, 10:50 PM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the wiring diagram and it looks as if the computer from the 1989 is pretty much a stand alone unit. Just has inputs and outputs for the engine. It doesn't care what the rest of the vehicle is doing. The computer is easy to get at, along side the driver side wall by the brake. The fuel tanks are another job. My 292 has the mechanical pump. The donor has two tanks with an electric pump inside each of the tanks plus a six hose fuel tank selector connector and the high pressure inline hose pump. I have not started the rip and tear part of the project yet but the 292 has taken its last trip in the yellow camper.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:37 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
If you can read the wiring diagram for the 89 and can solder I don't see why you can't do this.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
When I bought the 1989 I had intended to convert it to a carb and use an HEI ignition on it. It was my son who said " Just look at it. You have everything there. The entire truck. The sensors are already on the engine, so don't go in and start cutting wire cables. Give it a try to save the EFI. How often do you see a 1964 F250 running an Electronic Fuel Injected 460?" I thought Cool, sounds like a neat project.
I will have to change the clutch actuator from a Manual clutch to a Hydraulic clutch to work on the ZF 5. At least I have all the parts.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
That is a really cool rig. The EFI will be worth the effort IMO.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:54 PM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
I have some more pictures of the camper, inside and out posted in the Old Time, Classic and Antique forum under the 1961-1966 section. The post is titled, Hurt my engine, 1964 F250 Camper 292.
I'm getting the pole shed ready to make room for the two trucks. I'll have room to put them in there side by side, just need no rearrange everything and clean up my mess.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 PM
madrockwyo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that difficult, just lots of work.

Basically, the electrical is not that hard if you can move the entire engine wiring harnes and computer to the yellow truck. The only parts you are going to have to splice in are the gauges and warning lights, and the ignition switch. You should be able to isolate and reuse the existing lighting harness in the older truck. Maybe even swap steering column over to make ignition wiring simple. Then you only have to worry about the dash.

As for physical motor swap, you should be able to retrofit cross members between trucks and fabricate motor mounts. The leaking transmission is just the rear output seal, not that difficult to replace when out of truck. I'm not sure how many other parts might interchange, like axles, drive lines, springs, shocks.

Now comes the trick part of upgrading the fuel system. With the camper body, I doubt there is room to move newer tanks directly to same locations on other frame. Time to get creative.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 PM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
It sounds encouraging the way you laid it out. That is kind of the plan. Unbolt the connector and unhook everything on the fenders then fold everything across the top of the motor and take it all out in one shot. Like you say I'll have some wires going back to the dash I'll have to take care of. The old truck has a mechanical volt meter and oil pressure gauge separate from the dash cluster. The only thing working in the dash cluster is the speedo, water temp and once in a while the fuel gauge.
The ignition is on the left side of the dash, not the steering column. I'd like to get the fuel selector switch and a good fuel gauge for the swap. I ordered a 460 into 1953 - 64 pickup motor mount kit from Hedman Hedders and should be able to transfer the rear tranny mount.
Hopefully I can use the two tanks, fuel selector module and high pressure pump from the 1989. Front one is close to where it is now. Rear one will be a couple feet further to the back. The old frame had been cut and 24" of frame rail added when they first put the camper on. Another 3 feet added behind the rear axle. The camper itself is 13' long plus another 5' above the cab.
Is there anyone there who knows how to build fuel lines for an EFI truck?
I use to live out in Wyoming back in the 1980's. Made a lot of trips up the Red Grade Road to Big Goose, Tie Flume and the Dead Swede.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
First things first, THAT THING IS ONE SWEET RIDE!! The efi 460+ZF5 is going to be a sweet addition. No need to be afraid of the efi part of it. It sounds like you have the drivetrain and potential fuel tank mods theorized. I would look up some JY's for an 88+ motorhome with similar length for fuel lines, and other swappable parts. You probably have the most ideal swap truck, next to a 460 efi motorhome, to use.

Things to consider:
-I believe even the 89 eec's used a VSS on the rear end for the speedo. I'm not sure what mods have been made to get around not having a non VSS axle.
-if you don't want to swap the gauge cluster, the original gauges will have to be adapted to fit the 460. Might not be difficult, but might get complicated. This would be the tougher decision in my mind.
-I would love to be in the drivers seat with a smooth running efi 460 and let the ZF synchros do the work for me, while getting jealous looks simultaneously.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:42 AM
bbf385
More Turbo
Originally Posted by cbakker

Things to consider:
-I believe even the 89 eec's used a VSS on the rear end for the speedo. I'm not sure what mods have been made to get around not having a non VSS axle.
The sensor is on the speedo gear in '89. It is also used for cruise control. The sensor in the rear is for ABS only.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:22 PM
gcooter
Mountain Pass
Man I am getting behind. It has been almost 3 weeks since I last posted. cbakker had some good points. BBF385 cleared up the speedo question. The gauge cluster in the 1989 has the speedo and the fuel gauge working. The oil pressure, voltmeter and water temp are all displayed on a bolt on triple gauge bolted to the bottom of the dash.
The motor and tranny are out of the 1964 and just starting to work on the 1989.

The 1964 with the 292 and the doner truck. A1989 F250 with an EFI 460, ZF 5 tranny and duel fuel tanks.

The 292 ready to get pulled out of the truck.

Both trucks in the shed. Motor is pulled and starting to work on the 1989.

1964 with the motor and tranny out and sitting on the floor.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Sean Williamson
New User
Sorry wrong thread.

Quick Reply: 1989 460 EFI into 1964 F250. Any way to keep EFI?