1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Jyates6.7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission shifting issues

I have a 2012 F-250 ccsb lariat and the shift from 3 to 4 seems to be a bit prolonged as if the converter is slipping and wont go ahead and push it into 4 gear. Also it will want to downshift from 3 to 1 and feels like the car behind nailed you. I have read that the early 2011 had some of this problem and the dealer reflashed the tcm and it did not do much good but as mine being a 2012 mine should have been flashed with the lastest tcm flash from the get go?? The *** and egr fell off and am running Kory Willis tunes through ez lynk so the stealership is probably out of the question.the truck has been D****** for 1k so maybe this has something to do with it? I have also read that changing a couple solenoids( dont remember which ones) will fix the problem, but need a little more help. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-31-2016, 12:25 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Diesel or gas? How many miles on trans? Have you serviced the trans fluid and filter at or before the factory recommended intervals? Have you checked the fluid level? If you put it into tow/haul mode does it act the same?

Have the trans control module (tcm) read for any pending or active trouble codes. Pull the tune out see if it improves. Almost sounds like tow/haul mode up/down shift characteristics (which are not right IMO). Before you start throwing parts at it have the trans line pressures read. Line pressure is like blood pressure. High or low can cause problems. Most of the time the tcm will pick up on pressure problems. A good HD truck trans shop will be your friend here.

Not sure if the 6R140 trans has an adaptive learning shift strategy like the 5R110W does? If it does there may be a re-learn procedure similar to he 5R? There is an engineering section here where you could ask that question. Loop back here and follow up on the cause and solution when you find it.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Not sure if the 6R140 trans has an adaptive learning shift strategy like the 5R110W does?
Yes it does.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:17 PM
Jyates6.7
New User
The truck is diesel it has 61k miles and 1k of them have been tuned. There is no way for me to run the truck without the tuner due to it being fully deleted. I have not changed the fluid or filter. If anyone has any insight on how to get it in the re learn mode in all ears.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:26 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mark gave me the procedure for the 5R but I dont know if it applies to the 6R? It consisted of removing the neg battery cables, let truck sit powerless for 30 mins, then road teat with several full throttle blasts. There may have been some key cycling to get the TCM into learn mode. Search my name or marks name for that thread. But make surer you have the right procedure for the 6R

I think your first step should be collaborate with the tuner ask about the shifting. If they dont provide you with good answers then get it into a HD truck shop that can read the TCM for pending codes and a pressure check. Have a look at the pan, filter and pan trash magnet. Money well spent here. A few 100 verses a 3-5K for a trans.

You are over due for fluid and filter change. If you change the trans fluid every 40-50K (regular driving, light towing) the trans will double its life expectancy. The trans shop can do this if you dont.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Jyates6.7
If anyone has any insight on how to get it in the re learn mode in all ears.
Here's how to get it in relearn mode for both the 5R and the 6R:

Drive it. Anytime it's shifting it's learning.

Sometimes they learn something wrong and can't unlearn it. You can clear the memory and start over by disconnecting both negative battery cables. Leave them disconnected for at least 5 minutes. Some people say a half hour, and you need to cycle the key, and turn on the lights, etc. That's all superstition.

After reconnecting you can just drive it. There is a procedure to speed up the learning process, but it's optional. Do three P-R engagements, staying in R for at least 5 seconds each time. Then do three N-D engagements, staying in R for at least 5 seconds each time. Repeat with R-D and then D-R, staying in each gear at least 5 seconds each time.

Then drive. Accelerate into top gear at light throttle, mid throttle and heavy throttle (Speed limits permitting.) Do each acceleration three times.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Jyates6.7
New User
I called the tuner and the only thing they said was they "cleaned up" the shifts but I sure can't tell. But I'm going to drain the fluid and refill and see if that helps any? Mark, what fluid comes in the 2012 f250 so I can make sure to get the same fluid also how many quarts does it hold? But we will see what happens after the fluid change and if it persists I will be in search of a trans shop..

Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I never worked on a 2012. Someone else will have to answer that.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Jyates6.7
New User
UPDATE.. I talked to a busy who has the same year and model truck as me. He said that his was doing the same thing and he talked to a mechanic at the local ford dealership and told him to reset the tcm as you all stated above but from now on to not "grandpa" drive the truck but to get on it a little when accelerating and that it wasn't designed to be driven super super easy. So I reset the tcm and started driving it like he said and it shifts fine and feels like a new truck so I'm going to see how this goes and hope this will fix it.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

from now on to not "grandpa" drive the truck but to get on it a little when accelerating and that it wasn't designed to be driven super super easy.
He was making that up as he was going. It isn't true. It was designed to be driven at ANY acceleration rate that the truck is capable of. That was my job to determine that, and I did NOT make it so it only shifts right if you drive it hard.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
If you want to see if any gear has a problem just put it on Manual Mode and run it through the gears. The 6 speed doesn't learn your diving style but it will adjust to the load so if you are just babying it will adjust to what I call a sloppy or dog mode but if you jump on it it will come alive and shift hard through the gears. After I pull our trailer and disconnect the truck is a animal but shortly after that out goes into dog mode and will stay there unless you drive it hard.

Denny

Old 09-14-2016, 10:26 AM
leesfeed
New User
UPDATE.. I talked to a busy who has the same year and model truck as me. He said that his was doing the same thing and he talked to a mechanic at the local ford dealership and told him to reset the tcm as you all stated above but from now on to not "grandpa" drive the truck but to get on it a little when accelerating and that it wasn't designed to be driven super super easy. So I reset the tcm and started driving it like he said and it shifts fine and feels like a new truck so I'm going to see how this goes and hope this will fix it.

I'm having this same issue with a fully deleted 2012. Did you just disconnect the batteries for a few minutes, reconnect them and drive?