1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 F350 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Allenlep33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 F350 6.0

I just bought my first Powerstroke. Its a 1 owner with 70k miles all original except 4"exhaust. I'm going to be towing a 10k lb 5th wheel to local races and some in town driving only. My question is after reading a lot of forums I have mixed ideas as to what upgrades or repairs should be done to prevent Engine damage from Egr and related areas that are known to this truck? Not looking to spend 10k on it but dont mind doing whats necessary considering I can do all the labor. Thanks for any advice and glad I found this forum.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Buy a gauge, baseline your values, and don't fix what isn't broken:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

This is an older list that needs some updating, but focus on Stage 1 and 2 here before you start changing out engine parts:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...09&postcount=6

6.0L Tech Folder that thread came from:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html

6.0L engine forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/

Old 08-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Found this thread by accident while researching something else. I do not own a 6.0, however, my friend has an '06 with a 6.0. The all talk about a bullet proof kit that takes care of the egr issue as well as a few other known issues. Having it installed was over 3000 bones, but he did it himself for around 750.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Allenlep33
I just bought my first Powerstroke. Its a 1 owner with 70k miles all original except 4"exhaust. I'm going to be towing a 10k lb 5th wheel to local races and some in town driving only. My question is after reading a lot of forums I have mixed ideas as to what upgrades or repairs should be done to prevent Engine damage from Egr and related areas that are known to this truck? Not looking to spend 10k on it but dont mind doing whats necessary considering I can do all the labor. Thanks for any advice and glad I found this forum.
First to do right away:
Delete the EGR valve
Replace the oil cooler
Flush the coolant system. I replaced with ELC coolant.
Change oil and both fuel filters
Keep up on oil changes...I like 5k intervals.

This was always the first things I did to my 6.0's.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no reason to replace the oil cooler unless it's clogged. To know this you need an obdii gauge. Flushing the cooling system and going to elc is a good idea unmaintained ford gold coolant will cause a pretty good mess even in a gas engine but do not use the chemical flushes unless your going to do the oil cooler because it will clog it up. Lots of 6.0 have gone lots of miles with the egr system in place that being said is it overall better for the engine to not have the egr you bet, but you can't just take the valve out and call it good the cooler needs to be removed also. Then you have the whole argument about leaving the valve plugged in place for proper cooling fan operation with the cooler removed or just using a block off plate in place of the valve or the combination of leaving the valve plugged in but covering the hole with the block off plate. If you have emmisions inspections where you live you can't just get rid of the egr system. You can also turn the valve off though tuning and leave everything in place but before you have it inspected you will need to tune it back. Same goes for removing the cat and using a delete pipe. The most important thing is for you to know is your temps that will tell you where you need to start. Scangauge II edge insight or one of the smartphone apps and Bluetooth obd adapter or if you want a tuner the sct livewire does it all and sct is the way to tune these trucks.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:12 AM
Allenlep33
New User
Intake O-ring bad.

Originally Posted by RainDesert
First to do right away:
Delete the EGR valve
Replace the oil cooler
Flush the coolant system. I replaced with ELC coolant.
Change oil and both fuel filters
Keep up on oil changes...I like 5k intervals.

This was always the first things I did to my 6.0's.
I found the Oring leaking today between Intake and Front cover so I bought one at the Dealer and loosened intake to slip old one out and slipped new greased up one in and put back together. Going to flush engine but no chemicals and I read that the Zerex G05 was a good coolant? Changing oil with Rotella and bought all Ford filters, oil,Air and both Fuel Filters. Ordered a Obd 11 Bluetooth adapter to check EOT and ECT parameters. Thinking of deleting EGR because of the trouble and we have no emissions checks in my state. I hate to buy a $500 tuner and not sure of the talk about fan wires? Any other suggestions while I'm in there? Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Last edited by Allenlep33; 08-30-2016 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Missed words
Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Allenlep33
New User
Very Good Info.

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Buy a gauge, baseline your values, and don't fix what isn't broken:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

This is an older list that needs some updating, but focus on Stage 1 and 2 here before you start changing out engine parts:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Just bought 06 F350 FX4 6.0!!

6.0L Tech Folder that thread came from:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html

6.0L engine forum:
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Thank you for the links. Already got a head start on Stage 1 and 2

Old 08-30-2016, 08:14 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Let me restate, I mean delete kit for the egr, not just the valve. Replacing the oil cooler while you are in there is a good idea. I have been around a lot of 6.0's, I feel it is a very good, rather inexpensive safeguard. Your oil cooler could be beginning to clog, due to the existing egr system or coolant contaminants.
I purchased my deletes from River City Diesel back in the day, they were also good about answering questions about my 6.0.
This is what I would get today:
https://www.rivercitydiesel.com/inde...ed=1&Itemid=54

Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Allenlep33
New User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
Let me restate, I mean delete kit for the egr, not just the valve. Replacing the oil cooler while you are in there is a good idea. I have been around a lot of 6.0's, I feel it is a very good, rather inexpensive safeguard. Your oil cooler could be beginning to clog, due to the existing egr system or coolant contaminants.
I purchased my deletes from River City Diesel back in the day, they were also good about answering questions about my 6.0.
This is what I would get today:
https://www.rivercitydiesel.com/inde...ed=1&Itemid=54
I have ordered a complete EGR Delete kit. I didn't mean just the valve. Going to look at buying a Cooler now before I do the job. After my adapter comes I'll post my temps. Thanks