Purchase Off the Lot or Order a 5er

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM
SandR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase Off the Lot or Order a 5er

We have been looking and doing homework and have about narrowed the decision. We have the ability to stay local so that is what we are trying to do. We talked to Jayco dealer Saturday about a 2016 unit he has had since February. He told me his rock bottom price. This unit has all the options we want except for one which is not a deal breaker for us. We also discussed a 2017 model and he said he could order it for about $3500 more than the 2016. The biggest difference to me is they are going with a bigger I beam in the 2017 and higher BTU furnace. Most of the other items are cosmetic. What are the pros and cons of ordering vs. buying off the lot? The dealer said I need to place the order in the next 2 weeks to get this price. Not sure if this is a sales pitch or not. Thoughts? Thanks for the input

Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea it's most likely the old ..... better buy now, prices are going up 10%". If you're good with the $3500 then why not get a fresh unit with all the upgrades. First I would call the factory and find out for sure if all he said was true about the chassis and furnace.

We bought our '13 Montana Mountaineer from Pete's RV in Indiana and had it shipped out (you're going to pay for shipping anyway). The list price was $54k and we got it for $35K, had all the options we wanted and has been pretty much trouble free so far. Do lots of shopping cuzz there are deals out there. Look on ebay also for long time xlnt feedback dealers of the rig you want....might save you some money. Good luck

Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ooops forgot the pics of the rig, lots of nice 5th wheels and towards the end of summer you should be able to get a really good deal.....also and this is VERY important, the tires that come on these 5th wheels are usually chinese junk and will blow out. Depending on the size you get upgrade the tires immediately, I had Sailun S637's waiting for us when we got the trailer home, got rid of the Goodyear Marathons.

Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
We ordered the unit we have now because I wanted the upgraded brakes, suspension, heat pump and a few other important things. Dealers order in units with all the nice looking stuff but neglect the stuff you can't see that's important.

Denny

Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
We ordered ours too. Take a look at the options list, and add anything thing you might want, or would consider adding later. Our dealer discounted the trailer(and all the options) 30% off MSRP. Only thing I forgot, and wish I had added was the disk brakes. We added washer/dryer to our unit. Dealer would have charged $2K+labor to install, got them from factory for $1K. Slide toppers too, same thing. Much cheaper to add these items from factory.

The other up-side to ordering is that you know your unit hasn't been to any RV shows with millions of folks walking through, etc.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 PM
SandR
Senior User
I took the 2016 and 2017 brochures and went through them line by line and noted the differences in the changes that way. I know what options I want and the one that is missing is a 2nc AC. The dealer is at 39% off MSRP already and said he would add the 2nd AC at no charge. My fear in ordering is you do not see what you get until it arrives. Is it to late to back out at that point? For tires I usually give the bombs a year before getting new ones.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM
SandR
Senior User
Originally Posted by cyncwby
ooops forgot the pics of the rig, lots of nice 5th wheels and towards the end of summer you should be able to get a really good deal.....also and this is VERY important, the tires that come on these 5th wheels are usually chinese junk and will blow out. Depending on the size you get upgrade the tires immediately, I had Sailun S637's waiting for us when we got the trailer home, got rid of the Goodyear Marathons.
Nice setup. I really like the look of isolation

Old 09-03-2016, 10:05 AM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
My salesperson is also a friend. When we found the unit we wanted he told us to wait. He checked the order sheet and saw a like model was ordered and would be at the dealership in 2 - 3 weeks. The camper on the lot was exactly the same plus 2nd AC. He said they would put the 2nd AC on for the same price but better to get a "fresh" unit over one on the lot for 3 1/2 months. We waited....

Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
It all boils down to get what you want. If you can find that unit on a lot and it has a fairly new build date, then that's what you can dicker for. 2017's are on the lot with 2016's being discounted heavily. Our 2014 was heavily discounted plus we got a better then fair trade. I added the second a/c and a bunch of other things and are still below what an ordered unit would end up cost wise. As far as dealing with Pete's - we came very close to buying from their Burlington, VT store and decided that possible warranty work would be a problem since we live on the 'wrong' side of Lake Champlain

Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
X2. I don't think there is a right or wrong and if both are in good shape the difference in probably the flip of a coin.

Steve

Old 09-04-2016, 07:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
The 2nd AC is a must, regardless of which one you get.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Man, with the summer we have had I am beginning to think they should simply be standard equipment on everything.

Steve

Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
The 2nd AC is a must, regardless of which one you get.

Agree but that required 50 amp service just isn't at every site in every campground. My wife sure loves ours as her favorite reading/TV watch place is the bed.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 PM
SandR
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. We are still holding out as we are trying to sell ours instead of trading. If the bug bites us real hard we may trade but it has not happened - yet.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:15 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SandR
Thanks for the replies. We are still holding out as we are trying to sell ours instead of trading. If the bug bites us real hard we may trade but it has not happened - yet.
One advantage of trading it in is the trade in price comes off the purchase price which means less sales tax. That's almost 10% here. Can you sell it for 10% more than the trade in offer and how long will it take and how many idiots do you have to deal with before finding a valid buyer? Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Purchase Off the Lot or Order a 5er