1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regrets on Diesel or Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regrets on Diesel or Gas?

Sort of a new guy here, going through the dilemma of which Super Duty to get...see my intro post so I don't double post please.

Bottom line, does anyone have any regrets (that they can man up and admit) to getting a gasser or diesel? I am not trying to do a versus thread or say one is better than the other, but I need the real deal down side to both. Searching produced the gasser will drink it and the diesel will break the bank with repairs. Anymore? Thanks.

George

Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try using the search function for your topic "gas vs. diesel"
there are so many comments/ discussions that it will make your eyes water.

PS, welcome to FTE

Lot's of SD savy folks here, enjoy!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
My regret is not buying two back when they were cheaper. Best truck ever.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Try using the search function for your topic "gas vs. diesel"
there are so many comments/ discussions that it will make your eyes water.

PS, welcome to FTE

Lot's of SD savy folks here, enjoy!
Believe me, I have spent the last week in the shadows searching...seems like they all end up in a pissing contest to see who's got the biggest d**k. I'm more concerned about things like, I bought a gasser but it won't tow as advertised or I bought a diesel and towed like a dream but got parked for a month due to a $3k fuel system rebuild. I'm still searching though.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 AM
auburngrad
Senior User
I would have loved a diesel. But I didn't need it. And every time I do an oil change, or fill up lately, I love the savings, along with the savings at the dealer buying it.

The only ones that will truely have regretted it, are those that are hauling big loads, or decided they needed something bigger than they planned to haul.

I didn't need my superduty now. But I love it and wanted one. And I know what kind of boat I want, and weight and roads I'll drive, and a gasser was plenty.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Log Hog Kust'em
Tuned
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
In 2009 I bought a gasser because Diesel was running $1.00 a gallon more. It served me quite well until I bought a bigger trailer than anticipated in 2016. The torque of the gas motor was not enough to comfortably climb the hills around here, and the gas milage was miserable. I just bought my power stroke and have yet to tow with it.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Nah, no regrets. I have a more than capable truck for my needs.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
My regret is not buying two back when they were cheaper. Best truck ever.
Man I am surprised to hear that based on your signature...supposedly some of the 6.0L don't get the best reputation.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:09 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Originally Posted by Log Hog Kust'em
In 2009 I bought a gasser because Diesel was running $1.00 a gallon more. It served me quite well until I bought a bigger trailer than anticipated in 2016. The torque of the gas motor was not enough to comfortably climb the hills around here, and the gas milage was miserable. I just bought my power stroke and have yet to tow with it.
How big of a trailer are we talking...I'll be purchasing a toy hauler in the future and do not want to run into the same issue.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by grpark20
Believe me, I have spent the last week in the shadows searching...seems like they all end up in a pissing contest to see who's got the biggest d**k. I'm more concerned about things like, I bought a gasser but it won't tow as advertised or I bought a diesel and towed like a dream but got parked for a month due to a $3k fuel system rebuild. I'm still searching though.
Remember, most people post about stuff and are VERY vocal about what makes them mad or upset.

What you said will be exactly what you read.

My advice, get what YOU want and just understand the pro's and con's with each. Just don't come back on the forum to complain about your choice and that you should've went with what you wanted, which is what I see happening a lot.

There are plenty of 6.7's on the road with no issues and plenty of 6.2, 6.8, 5.4 gas engines doing their jobs also.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:12 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
How big of a trailer are we talking...I'll be purchasing a toy hauler in the future and do not want to run into the same issue.
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Size of the trailer?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Really boils down to what your intended need or usage will be. Both will get the job done, however at what comfort level will your expectations be. You tow heavy 10k or more often, or few occasion. How much $$ you want to spend.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sort of a new guy here, going through the dilemma of which Super Duty to get...see my intro post so I don't double post please.

Bottom line, does anyone have any regrets (that they can man up and admit) to getting a gasser or diesel? I am not trying to do a versus thread or say one is better than the other, but I need the real deal down side to both. Searching produced the gasser will drink it and the diesel will break the bank with repairs. Anymore? Thanks.

George
Technically, the diesel isn't much more capable than the gasoline engine on paper. Both have similar tow ratings and payload capacities. That said, the diesel will be far more capable in specific situations. They will maintain higher speeds at altitude or towing up steep grades. They've got a lot more torque and will deliver a better towing experience. I've only driven the gas trucks a few times, so others may better explain how they are to live with. I think I have a decent feel for them and can compare driving characteristics somewhat. Throttle response out of the 6.2L isn't particularly good. You have to rev the engine quite a bit to get real power out of it. Off the line performance isn't particularly good but once you get going they aren't terrible.

The diesel has some off the line turbo lag, but it catches up pretty quickly. Throttle response is decent for a truck. It always has plenty of power at virtually any speed. Neither is a rocket as they are both very heavy trucks. The best thing about daily driving the diesel is its linear torque curve and acceleration. The power seems like its always there and acceleration just follows that linear path all the way to where the speedometer maxes out. They can get better fuel mileage than the gas engines as well.

Financially, the diesel is never a good prospect. The option costs $8,460 in 2016 and $8,550 for 2017 models. You will never make that up in fuel economy or resale value. Out of warranty repairs are massively expensive. That said, a lot of the horror stories you read about are caused by idiots who don't keep up with the maintenance on their trucks or they put race tunes on them which cause premature failure. The two reasons to get a diesel are thus: 1.) You need the torque and power it offers. 2.) You simply want one. The latter is fine if you can afford it. The costs of oil changes, DPF/DEF fluid, and filters all add up to more expensive costs of ownership over the life of the vehicle.

Many people who own the gas versions of these trucks really like them. I prefer the diesel but a gas truck would have done everything I need it to do. I have no regrets about my purchase but I haven't had the truck very long. I just made my first payment on the thing and I've got about 1,500 miles or so on it.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Size of the trailer?
See the full story on needs in the new member intro forum..WARNING..it is a long post

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16525799

Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
Really boils down to what your intended need or usage will be. Both will get the job done, however at what comfort level will your expectations be. You tow heavy 10k or more often, or few occasion. How much $$ you want to spend.
Long post, but it explains where I am at with it...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16525799

Quick Reply: Regrets on Diesel or Gas?