1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regrets on Diesel or Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all...gas it is for me after considering all options. Diesel would be nice but I personally can't justify it with some of the fuel system water contamination stories that can cost upwards of $9K. For me the risk is not worth the reward and for my application Diesel is not needed, but could be wanted. On to the next topic to research now...leveling kits. Seems there are a lot folks out there with their pride hurt because they spent $2K on a leveling kit when a $200 kit would have netted the same results. Wish me luck in sorting all that out. LOL. Shouldn't be as bad as the ongoing diesel versus gas wars. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by grpark20; 09-14-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2016, 10:11 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
If you get the snowplow prep package your truck will sit fairly level from the factory.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Worry about leveling after you get a truck. Not all trucks need to be leveled.

Also, nothing wrong with a gasser if it's the right tool for the job. I just hate it when guys come in and say hey I got a gasser and it's so much better than a diesel.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:40 AM
BAJACRAZY32
Freshman User
Being from SD I have both a 2001 7.3 F350 and a 5.4 F250. The diesel is nice for towing trailers with cars, campers and more. I have my gas for plowing in the winter however. In the winter when it's -30 down here a gas is nice. Fast and easy start up and has the right amount of torque for plowing in my usage. Honestly? It all depends on what your usage for it is. The regrets of my diesel is very few. Besides for the cost of fuel and your neighbors and friends always wanting it for towing a gooseneck I don't regret it. The gas is also good, in my experience they have both been very good and nearly bulletproof. You'll be very happy with both.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite
Also, nothing wrong with a gasser if it's the right tool for the job. I just hate it when guys come in and say hey I got a gasser and it's so much better than a diesel.
I think part of the problem is not comparing apples to apples. Meaning someone who has a early 7.3 diesel and goes to the 2010 V10 and says the V10 runs circles around it. It probably does, but its also likely 10+ years newer. Or someone who went from a 6.4 to a 2002 V10 and is unhappy with the truck and "thought the V10 was a great motor that could pull anything a diesel could but its a turd"

Same goes for the person driving that 2002 V10 and jumping into a brand new 6.7 diesel. OF course they're gonna say the V10 was a dog.

It's when the 6.2 owner is upset about pulling their trailer and ups to the 6.7 and is happier. That's a good comparison. But then you get members like rvpuller who swears by gas and pulls one hell of a trailer.

I just need to find someone who will let me hook their diesel to one or both of my trailers to compare. Just to see the difference for myself. I recently took my "new' 5th wheel out on a trip and it was all hilly backroads and even one spot where anything over GCVWR of 9 tons needed to pull over to read the sign telling about all the grades coming up. So lots and lots of hills. I just want that comparison......or maybe not haha.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
It's when the 6.2 owner is upset about pulling their trailer and ups to the 6.7 and is happier. That's a good comparison. But then you get members like rvpuller who swears by gas and pulls one hell of a trailer.
You're on to something here, and that's how people feel the truck SHOULD tow affecting their perception of if the different options do what they were MEANT to do. Rvpuller might be completely happy because his expectations match where the gas engine's power is, but some people think an engine should pull at 1700rpm so of course they're happier to 'upgrade' to the diesel in a truck that really isn't any more or less capable. If you like how the V10 pulls, you might not like the turbo lag or shorter shifts from 6.7 with your trailer.

That's a reason there's a subset of people in the RV/hauling world that step up not only to F450/550 C&C trucks with flatbeds, but sometimes all the way to F650/Kodiak/Durastars. Their opinion is the truck should not only pull their trailer, it should do it in a way that the diver only has to sit there and hold the pedal. They want the reduced driver fatigue and trailer sway that come from the larger and heavier body and deeper geared (even though less powerful) drivetrain... aka massive overkill.

My dad is 68, he tows a lightweight tagalong with a diesel. He wants to set the cruise at 65mph and not really care if he's in Texas or Colorado, doesn't want to deal with the engine spooling up to 5000rpm or worry about weight ratings. So he bought three times the truck that's really needed, and his expectations are fully met.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:58 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I hear ya. I like to be the overkill type myself but a diesel F450 is quite out of my price range. I looked at some of the new trucks on a dealers lot today just for kicks and to see them up close. I came across a '17 250 Platinum diesel to the tune of $76,000. Holy. Chit. Even an XLT ext cab 6.2 was $48k. Yea yea yea I know that's MSRP, but still. Some people are lucky to have deeeeeeep pockets in this world.

As to the V10. Towing isn't bad and I just don't wind it up past 3800-4000. I'll take the hills at 45-50 vs 55-60@5000rpms. Half the time I was behind a super slow tractor trailer anyways. I'm sure I would love the grunt of a 6.7 for my 14k dump and my ~10k fifth wheel. Can't afford one though.

Speaking of perceptions, when I was truck shopping 4 years ago I was really thinking of a diesel. But my perceptions of the 6.0/6.4 were quite bad, and justifiably so, so I decided on a V10 because I wanted a Ford and not another 5.4. I know your truck runs great but when you "Google" Ford 6.0/6.4 the returns are not going to be great.

So to the title of the thead on regrets. I regret I didn't pick a career path that would have afforded me such luxuries as that Platinum trimmed 2017 F-450 6.7.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
You're on to something here, and that's how people feel the truck SHOULD tow affecting their perception of if the different options do what they were MEANT to do. Rvpuller might be completely happy because his expectations match where the gas engine's power is, but some people think an engine should pull at 1700rpm so of course they're happier to 'upgrade' to the diesel in a truck that really isn't any more or less capable. If you like how the V10 pulls, you might not like the turbo lag or shorter shifts from 6.7 with your trailer.

That's a reason there's a subset of people in the RV/hauling world that step up not only to F450/550 C&C trucks with flatbeds, but sometimes all the way to F650/Kodiak/Durastars. Their opinion is the truck should not only pull their trailer, it should do it in a way that the diver only has to sit there and hold the pedal. They want the reduced driver fatigue and trailer sway that come from the larger and heavier body and deeper geared (even though less powerful) drivetrain... aka massive overkill.

My dad is 68, he tows a lightweight tagalong with a diesel. He wants to set the cruise at 65mph and not really care if he's in Texas or Colorado, doesn't want to deal with the engine spooling up to 5000rpm or worry about weight ratings. So he bought three times the truck that's really needed, and his expectations are fully met.
I think you are spot on with this. Most of the time, I could and have gotten by with an F-150. However I like the way a bigger and heavier truck handles with a load on it or behind it. Like your dad, I just prefer to hook up and go. I don't want to worry about ratings, altitude or how steep the grade is.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM
zoomer10h
New User
Ron94150
I have been reading a lot of comparisons on the 6.2 vs diesel.
Your short but direct answer is what I have been looking for.

Have had diesels for last 20 years. Two years ago went to a 2009 6.4.
This spring put 11K into the engine. Should say its bullet proof (and a 6.5 now). But i have lost a lot of trust in these new diesels. Really have been thinking of a gasser.
I pull a 39 foot toyhauler (14k GVW) once a month 25 miles to our local track, another week end 230 miles to another track along the Mississippi river, so a little hilly, Occasional trips couple hours away.

Seems like maybe the 6.2 geared right would do the trick with out the worry's of a diesel.
I do drive a lot for work, and as the 6.4 doesn't get the best mileage anyway (deleted & tuned) , gas is cheaper option for most of my miles.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Old 10-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Wingit929
Senior User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty

So to the title of the thead on regrets. I regret I didn't pick a career path that would have afforded me such luxuries as that Platinum trimmed 2017 F-450 6.7.
I have that regret also.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Wingit929
I have that regret also.
Sucks knowing I turned down a career that would have earned me near triple what I do now. What the hell was I thinking.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,627 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Again, what I really HATED about MY 6.2L gasser was the noise level in the cabin. And I wanted a dually for the added stability. And I did not want to order one and have to sit and wait until Ford built what I would have ordered!
Now if I could have found Denny's (rvpuller) 6.2/4.30 DRW sitting un-attended, I might have taken it for a test drive to see if the 6.2 was inherently noisy, or if it was just the truck I had.
The only dealer stock duallies that I could find were all equipped with the 6.7 PSD. Well, the rest is history.
I DO think the 6.2 gasser is a very capable engine,and the 6.7 is even more capable!! Just think, how many thousands of truck owners are out there that never frequent these forums, and just drive the hell out of them......both gas and diesel. And they put many thousands of trouble free miles on them!!!

Run what you brung, and enjoy life!

Old 10-12-2016, 09:49 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I just ran across this and I was surprised to see my name brought up so many times

Yes I'm a die-hard gasser but I know how to setup a truck to do what I want it to do with the comfort level we want and with the 6.2 that means a 4.30 rear end for power and the Lariat upgraded package for comfort and noise.

To give you a comparison I had a XL F350 CC and a XLT F350 work truck and the noise level was greatly improved between the two. Also when I had my 2000 F350 XLT CC V10 4.30 gears I also had 2000 F350 SC Lariat DRW V10 4.30 gears and the Lariat was a quieter truck.

I drove a 6.7 Lariat for 300 miles on two lane roads and it was nice truck but if you jump on it the noise level is there just like my 6.2. We have traveled with other rv friends with different models and brands of diesels pulling the same class of trailers and we aren't left on the dust but you have to know how to drive a gas truck on grades, the flat lands are no problem just set the cruise and it's in 6th most of the time and 5th and sometimes 4th going over over passes. Most of the time I have to look at the gear indicator to see what gear it's in 6th or 5th, 4th makes a little more noise when it first drops down.

If you want a 6.2 to pull you will have to order it but that's the only way I would buy one anyway. We ordered ours without 4WD and the 6.2 and saved 14.5K off the sticker, we have no need for 4x4 with the way we use the truck.

It's also nice to pull onto a Quick Lane and for $50 your done until the next service, no DEF, fuel filters or additives just gas it up and your ready to go.

In the long run it's whatever you want just so long it's a Blue Oval.

If someone wants to drive my truck your more than welcome if you can catch up with us, we are at Lake Texoma now and will be at Proctor Lake in TX tomorrow and head further south Saturday.

Denny

Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Now waiting to hear from the "better to have and not need" folks.

I too have no use for a 4x4... all pavement and a little gravel for my X!

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4x4 is useful in a number of scenarios. If you ever anticipate pulling a boat out of the water, for example, you'll love being able to power all four tires.

Quick Reply: Regrets on Diesel or Gas?