Hellwig pro series helper springs 61904 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

Hellwig pro series helper springs 61904

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Freshman User

smokeatr23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hellwig pro series helper springs 61904

Has anyone tried the Hellwig pro series helper springs part #61904? They are made for f250 but thinking they should work for us.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Elder User

agsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to all
Most people here have Roadmaster Active Suspension. Did you use the search function to see if there are any posts about it?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Freshman User

I searched but haven't found anyone using these.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Posting Guru

pirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeatr23 View Post
Has anyone tried the Hellwig pro series helper springs part #61904? They are made for f250 but thinking they should work for us.
It looks to me like it would interfere with the rear a/c lines p the passangers side.

Hellwig makes a Diffrent version of that for the excursion that attaches under the spring. #1902
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Posting Guru

pirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud of
if you don't mind me asking, why does your excursion need a "helper spring" ?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
if you don't mind me asking, why does your excursion need a "helper spring" ?
Just like everyone else, I'm trying to control sway, axle wrap, and sagging springs, without spending a fortune on new springs.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
It looks to me like it would interfere with the rear a/c lines p the passangers side.

Hellwig makes a Diffrent version of that for the excursion that attaches under the spring. #1902
I saw those too but like the design of the pro series. Thought about the a/c line and would probably have to move it somehow.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Thread Killer

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Question

Quote:
I'm trying to control sway, axle wrap, and sagging springs, without spending a fortune on new springs.

Hard to believe one 'product' could do so much for that many different ailments.

Click the image to open in full size.

Step right up

I'm gonna need more info.

(Rudolph)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
Nope, bad idea. You're all wrong.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Freshman User

Yeah well probably won't cure all of those with only the helpers, but neither will a spring swap. I will just have to do what I can when I can. I can't afford to sink $1,000 into it all at once.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Freshman User

It's hard to know what the cure is for these things. One guy says spring swap, the next guy says no RAS, sway bar, helper springs, airbags... it never ends. I wanted an X since they first started building them. Had I known the way they handled, I probably wouldn't have it now.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Elder User

agsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to allagsmv1 is a name known to all
Spring swap by far helped all of those the best, I did the rears first and it made a big difference. When I did the fronts the job was complete!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsmv1 View Post
Spring swap by far helped all of those the best, I did the rears first and it made a big difference. When I did the fronts the job was complete!
That's the main reason I wanted to try the helper springs. If I can get the same result of a heavier spring rate without having to swap springs.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Freshman User

Guess I'll be the guinea pig.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Elder User

I feel you, but if I had to do it all over again...new leafs are the way to go. Band aids are just that band aids...I added the RAS before I did the spring swap, and while it did help quite a bit, I wanted more, so I swapped the rear springs and that took care of most of my problems. I just put the RAS back on so it wouldn't be sitting in the garage..lol!

What is your location? ATS Springs in PA is a site vendor and has a quality product with tons of reviews here on the forums.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Just like everyone else, I'm trying to control sway, axle wrap, and sagging springs, without spending a fortune on new springs.
Quote:
It's hard to know what the cure is for these things.
Lets break it down and I am sure we can get it sorted our for you.

Sway

I need some clarification here.
some people confuse "sway" with "wander" or the tendency to drive around in the lane. Still others mention "sway" as in trailer sway like when towing a large enclose or Trailer Trailer. If however you mean Body Roll then that can be cured with the addition of a rear sway bar. adding a rear sway bar will also decrease understeer a bit.

Axle Wrap
The excursion was equipped with factory Anti-axle wrap leaf that in my opinion adequately controls axle wrap. "axle wrap" used to be blamed for the wander issue so Axle wrap got a bad wrap ( pun intended) reality is, I have yet to see a street driven Excursion on tires under 40" have a serious wrap issue. but that said, what are the symptoms of your axle wrap and we can cure it.
good chance the rubber snubbers on your factory wrap bar just need to be replaced.

Sag
i could go into a long dissertation on leafs and sag but we can just leave it at yes... the excursion was plagued with sag prone springs. the only real fix is to replace them with new springs. everything else is a bandaid.

Bandaids.
meh, take your pick. they are what they are.