Here's another reason to put a slide topper on

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Here's another reason to put a slide topper on

A lot of the fifth wheels I work on have wall damage on the wall above the slide and the common way most folks attempt to fix this damage, which is caused by water penetration is by sealing the roof. Something that almost never works because it has nothing to do with where the water is coming in.

Most slide seals simply clamp on the side walls and the above the slide on the wall where the slide comes through the wall. That seal above the slide is seldom caulked and once it becomes even a little loose, which it does when the slide moves in and out, water runs down, gets behind the seal, and the the wall above the slide is essentially sitting in a pool of water. The one I caulked yesterday actually had leaves in the seal (you couldn't tell from below) when I pried the seal open to pour caulk down into it. After the caulk set up, I went over the top of the seal where it met the wall with a thin bead of caulk.

But, there was a good deal of water penetration above the slide and there is no way to make an easy repair once that happens. So once again, my suggestion is, if you value your camper and it has slides, seal the seal at the top religiously or put a topper over the slide.

My two cents worth for the day ,

Steve

Old 08-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Steve, this is great information that I had not been aware of. I had thought that the toppers/covers were simply a preference and not really a required item. It does kind of make sense though now that I think about it.

Just to be sure everyone is on the same page, regarding the spot that is prone to leaking it is on the vertical surface of the wall just above where the slide enters or exits the trailer? I have put a red arrow pointing to roughly the location I believe that you are talking about, is this correct?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
Steve, this is great information that I had not been aware of. I had thought that the toppers/covers were simply a preference and not really a required item. It does kind of make sense though now that I think about it.

Just to be sure everyone is on the same page, regarding the spot that is prone to leaking it is on the vertical surface of the wall just above where the slide enters or exits the trailer? I have put a red arrow pointing to roughly the location I believe that you are talking about, is this correct?

Yes, that is exactly correct. It is a major problem area on both modestly priced and high-end models.

Do this if you are comfortable with heights. Get a ladder and get on top of your slide. That should not be a problem unless you are really heavy. I weight about 180 and I do it all the time. Step lightly at first and stay in the middle rather than right up at the inside edge of the slide where it will be the weakest. Test your weight and if all is well proceed.

Now look at the top of the seal and see if it is sealed in some way to the wall. I might be caulked, but usually it just pinches the wall and on some you will even see it falls down. Pull it up into place, you can pry it open with your fingers and pour caulking into it (don't go crazy here and make a big mess. Let it close back and give it a little time, maybe 45 minutes for the caulk to set up, then run a small bead along the top of the seal. What you are trying to do here is keep water from running in by sealing it to the wall. If it is wet and full of junk, use a rag or paper towels and dry it out while you pry the seal open, before you caulk. Neatness counts here. I use a clear caulk so once it dries you can't see it.

Best idea still as far as I am concerned is a slide topper. They cost a bit, but way way less than having the wall rebuilt.

Steve

Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Steve I had seen this issue on a couple of used units I looked at so when we bought the new TT with 3 slides the toppers were the first mod we made to it.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Good tip. I had better look at mine when I get back home next month.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Steve I had seen this issue on a couple of used units I looked at so when we bought the new TT with 3 slides the toppers were the first mod we made to it.
An excellent decision, in my opinion.

Steve

Old 08-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
What do you use for clear sealant/caulk? I use Dicor for white and special order colors if need be, but do not see a clear version available.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Dicor doesn't have a clear, though Heng's does and possibly others. In what sounds like heresy, I don't expect any caulking to last for more than a year or two so with that in mind, I have had very good luck with Dynaflex 230, which you can buy right at your local Lowes and maybe Home Depot. It is also in the distributor catalog for RV use. It is cheap and more importantly, it is very easy to smooth, sets up relatively quickly and has a good life span.

I have used some high-end product in the past, but they are so hard to smooth making a mess is almost a given. I put a tremendous import on having a neat professional finish in the end. Of course, clear is just my preference and I am sure there are others who have other preferences. No one size fits all.

And of course, if you go with slide toppers, which caulking to use becomes almost irrelevant.

Steve

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
The Dynaflex is good stuff, just be aware it has a shelf life. When it gets old it doesn't flow as nice, first clue, and when it dries it will crack and crumble. This was a tube that was several years old.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The only problem with slide toppers, per Shade pro, is if in high winds they can and will keep you awake at night. Very noisy.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:27 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
A lot of the fifth wheels I work on have wall damage on the wall above the slide and the common way most folks attempt to fix this damage, which is caused by water penetration is by sealing the roof. Something that almost never works because it has nothing to do with where the water is coming in.

Most slide seals simply clamp on the side walls and the above the slide on the wall where the slide comes through the wall. That seal above the slide is seldom caulked and once it becomes even a little loose, which it does when the slide moves in and out, water runs down, gets behind the seal, and the the wall above the slide is essentially sitting in a pool of water. The one I caulked yesterday actually had leaves in the seal (you couldn't tell from below) when I pried the seal open to pour caulk down into it. After the caulk set up, I went over the top of the seal where it met the wall with a thin bead of caulk.

But, there was a good deal of water penetration above the slide and there is no way to make an easy repair once that happens. So once again, my suggestion is, if you value your camper and it has slides, seal the seal at the top religiously or put a topper over the slide.

My two cents worth for the day ,

Steve
Great point for checking your slides but by your description of having leaves debris behind the seal would tell me that the owners are not checking their slide roofs before putting them in or just lack of preventive maintenance. Camping time comes to an end and closing it up but who wants to check the top of slide for water/debris, "hint" one of the mop sponge heads do a great job cleaning it up before putting in.
On our unit which I never paid attention to till one snow storm came and a gentlemen who had an Excel next to us came over after cleaning the snow off his slides and worrying about water coming in said he likes the way our slide tops where designed of having the angle along the top of slide.

I personally have not had toppers never thought there was a real need for them just another thing to break/ tear. Plus from talking to folks that have or had them they say the noise can be excessive in the wind. Yes, you can put blow up ***** or pool noodles under them to try and quiet them down just more crap to carry. After your description though I guess they would be useful for possible keeping water out.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I think there is a plus/minus to everything in life. We have been in some really severe winds and never noticed them flapping, but they could have been and we just weren't paying attention.

I am sure some of you may recall the drip edge that some manufacturers used to put on the sidewall so the water that ran off upper wall was routed away from the slide. Jayco used to use them and probably some other manufacturers. I think those would help too.

The only thing I really want to stress here is not to take those seals for granted. As long as they are sealed against the side wall you are fine. If they pull away easily, water will find a way in.

Steve

Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jsm180
The Dynaflex is good stuff, just be aware it has a shelf life. When it gets old it doesn't flow as nice, first clue, and when it dries it will crack and crumble. This was a tube that was several years old.
The shelf life issue I think applies to almost all caulks. I used to think Dicor lasted forever, but in the last year or so following their intense advertising campaign it seems to me like once the tube is opened it starts to age and doesn't level as well. I have a hunch the formula has changed slightly, but that may just be my own paranoia!

Steve

Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
Another thing to consider is to lube the rubber seals themselves. Keep them from hardening by wiping them with a product like 303. My seals were getting rather hard and were letting water seep under them. After 2 applications, they are now soft and pliable again. Note: Lift each seal and try to get it on the INSIDE of the seals too! I bought a gallon and use a cloth to rub it in/on with.

Don't forget the slideout sidewall seals too.

I also apply it to the tires too which protects again UV dryness.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Another good point on lubing the seals to keep them pliable.

Quick Reply: Here's another reason to put a slide topper on