2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2015 tailgate corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:29 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so sure what you think the time frame is for "these new trucks", but the aluminum hood and tail gate go back to the 2000 MY, and coincidentally include your exact issue among the others.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nt-issues.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gate-rust.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...t-problem.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ing-hatch.html

http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/mo...0-2005-models/

Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One comment on aluminum corrosion. If aluminum and steel are allowed to contact one another in a car, the aluminum CAN oxidize badly enough to get holes in it. In 1971 I owned a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 which had an aluminum cowl with steel fender shells and underbody pans attached to the aluminum. They used a "bead" where these panels joined along the fender tops. Mine may have been missing the "bead" at the rear underbody where steel met aluminum, but the aluminum had numerous small holes in it (in Michigan salt) that were flowing with a white goo that looked like "pus".

I don't think the Ford issue is galvanic corrosion because I think the inner and outer hood and tailgate panels are aluminum, crimped and probably bonded to one another but I do see some mention of "galvanic" in searching for Ford aluminum oxidation on the Internet. I do know that steel fasteners (rivets or bolts) holding together aluminum parts can cause galvanic corrosion in the aluminum. (I should ask my son, who is a Materials Science Engineer with a degree from U of Mich--basically the new term for "metallurgist" although his current job is Tier 1 work involving bonded composites.)

I'll be watching Expys and F150's...if Ford messes up with the aluminum on the new pickups, it would be a BIG and costly hole that they would have to dig out of.

Have a good weekend, all,
George

Old 09-05-2016, 08:39 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
The most recent TSB is 16-0028 and includes '14-'16MY.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:30 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Originally Posted by jh225
Don't put false info out there, OK?

If the OP's truck is under warranty (and it obviously is) then it's Fords problem, period.
I was denied when my power running board started peeling just outside the 36 month warranty period and I had just had the hood and tailgate painted a few weeks before that. It's really ridiculous that they can't come up with a solution.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:56 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by rjd75
I was denied when my power running board started peeling just outside the 36 month warranty period and I had just had the hood and tailgate painted a few weeks before that. It's really ridiculous that they can't come up with a solution.
Yes, but you were out of warranty, period. If you didn't get the problem in record before the warranty ran out its Fords call.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM
ZGKiwi
Freshman User
Just noticed a little of this starting in my '15 too.

Will be watching it and chatting to dealer at next service appt.

Longer term this could be really good - I'm starting to think this might be a reason to justify to my wife that I need turn in at end of lease and get the new model instead of buying out this one.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jh225
Yes, but you were out of warranty, period. If you didn't get the problem in record before the warranty ran out its Fords call.
Yes, but the corrosion coverage including the aluminum panels is 5 yr / unlimited mileage.

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:46 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=ZGKiwi;16582876]Just noticed a little of this starting in my '15 too.

Will be watching it and chatting to dealer at next service appt.

QUOTE]

You better hope jh225 isn't at the desk the day you go in.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
I think the new aluminum corrosion warranty (as referenced in the warranty booklet I posted earlier and re-iterated by alwaysfords) should cover the Expy problems from 2015 onward. I would not think a running board would be considered a body part, however...it's more like an accessory part like a wheel (which have gotten surface corrosion in the past), etc.

It REALLY makes me angry that Ford has had this many years to get paint to stick to aluminum hoods and trunks on Expeditions (and the pre-2011 Explorers) and still does not have it right. These are expensive vehicles with a HUGE profit margin. They could hire rocket scientists (or materials science engineers like my son) to figure it out...it has to be a problem with a simple reason behind it. Paint does not bubble on cheap home aluminum siding, etc...

George

Old 09-29-2016, 01:00 PM
tater_51
Senior User
Here we Go!

So I finally got my 15' Expedition into the dealer to have him take a look at the liftgate. "Oh, yep, I've had hundreds of these over the years". Then he goes on to tell me that the 5 year warranty from Ford only covers rust and corrosion resulting in perforation (got to have holes). In a nutshell he said that it probably won't be covered but if I wanted to fight it, more or less, "Good Luck". He wasn't rude, but he didn't make my day! He gave me an 800 number to call if I wanted to contest his decision. He worked up a service order and sent it to Ford and told me this was what Ford told him, took about an hour. Any help from others that have had to go to the next step would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM
rjd75
Senior User
I have had it covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, if you are past the mileage I think you will waste your time calling them and it will be an excercise in frustration. They will string you along and make you wait and go to a dealer to take pictures etc and in the end they won't fix it.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:59 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tater_51
So I finally got my 15' Expedition into the dealer to have him take a look at the liftgate. "Oh, yep, I've had hundreds of these over the years". Then he goes on to tell me that the 5 year warranty from Ford only covers rust and corrosion resulting in perforation (got to have holes). In a nutshell he said that it probably won't be covered but if I wanted to fight it, more or less, "Good Luck". He wasn't rude, but he didn't make my day! He gave me an 800 number to call if I wanted to contest his decision. He worked up a service order and sent it to Ford and told me this was what Ford told him, took about an hour. Any help from others that have had to go to the next step would be greatly appreciated.
I would point to the language quoted above from the 2015 warranty booklet. It covers all panels if there is perforation but it covers aluminum panels if there is ANY corrosion or rust damage. I am sure this is to make owners of F150's feel secure but believe that it extends the rights to owners of 2015+ Expeditions and any other Ford vehicles with aluminum panels.

I would firmly quote the booklet language in any correspondence you may have with Ford. I believe this is a change in policy and many dealers may not quite be aware of it...you might even show this to your own dealer and ask them to read the specific language because this is not the same perforation-only policy they have had in the past.

George

Old 09-29-2016, 04:57 PM
tater_51
Senior User
Thanks! And I'm still within the warranty at 29,500. I will call tomorrow and let you know where it goes. Thanks

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 PM
tater_51
Senior User
Finally, after jumping through some hoops, the dealership finally agreed to fix the issue. No problem with Ford consumer affairs, they were actually quite helpful. They could not understand why the dealership was dragging things out. As someone had stated, it's within the 3/36, it get's fixed.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
jh225
Elder User
For those that have had this corrosion fixed under warranty, did Ford require it to be done at a Fore dealer with a body shop? (ie:Inhouse)

My local dealer (small town) won't touch it, especially since my corrosion has now advanced to the point that it is actually on the outside of the panel (bottom/leading edge of gate). So splitting the aluminum panel and sandblasting as the TSB calls for is likely not going to fix mine. There will be pitting on the exterior of the tailgate that in no way is acceptable.

Likely I am going to set up a meet with a zone rep right off the bat as I am not looking to do the Ford dance with a dealer that is 2+ hrs away.

Quick Reply: 2015 tailgate corrosion