Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New business, new truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:55 PM
kpchambers
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New business, new truck

I'm sure a few of you hardcore forum gurus will find this post annoying, but I really need help from the truck pros.

I am opening a cabinet shop in the near future and I'll need a new pickup for work. I have a 2009 F-150 5.4L that I'll be trading in. I considered getting a new F-150 with a 5.0L. Recently I have been wondering if the 5.0 will have enough drivetrain to faithfully pull a loaded trailer. I know it will be able to tow 4-5 tons without a problem, but can it do it on a regular basis and not have some serious problems arise?

By the time you calculate trailer weight, a portable table saw, miter saws, hand tools, all of the cabinets, countertops, hardware, sinks, furniture dollies, etc. I don't think 4-5 tons is much of an overestimate. Then add wind resistance on the highways.

So all of that has me thinking about needing some higher torque. This is where I add the 3.5L EcoBoost or maybe even a 6.2L F-250 into the equation. And once again my mind races, maybe I ought to go diesel due to the amount of miles I drive per year. I have put nearly 25k miles on my 5.4 since January.

What do you guys think? Am I losing my mind???

KC

Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flat torque curve of the 3.5EB will likely tow better than the 5.0, especially around town. You really need to know what the trailer's going to weigh before you make a decision. Also, keep in mind that going diesel adds about $10K in cost up front, quite a bit of additional maintenance, and a very finicky motor under the hood. One bad load of fuel will cost you about $12K in repairs.

While I don't tow often, my family has had quite a number of high-mileage F150s (including the most recent, a 2010 traded in with 225K on the clock and a lot of idle time beyond that) without significant issues and still running quite well.

IMO, if you don't *need* the SD for weight and you don't simply *want* an SD/PSD as a status symbol, you're adding a lot of additional cost for questionable value.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Pretty awesome looking truck you have there. Is it starting to give you problems?

My first comment would be to advise you to wait till the 2017 superduty trucks hit the lots in better numbers. These new SD trucks are built with the F-150 cab and are all aluminum like the F-150. Test drives on the 2017 superduty page indicate that the ride is quieter and more supple than in previous editions. You should compare before purchasing.

A 3.5L eco truck with the max tow option will whip that trailer around without issue. Max tow capability was upped in the 2015 MY and you'd be well within the range of the truck. A 2017 F-150 eco will come with the 10 speed transmission.

Additionally, I think a max tow 5.0L would be as well but it may need the 3.73 gears to work as efficiently.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
Run the trailer over a scale. Get the actual weight instead of estimating. You'll be much better off in making your purchasing decision.

Overall, if the 5.4L didn't have any issues towing the trailer, the 5.0L won't have any difficulty.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM
kpchambers
Junior User
Originally Posted by redford
Run the trailer over a scale. Get the actual weight instead of estimating. You'll be much better off in making your purchasing decision.

Overall, if the 5.4L didn't have any issues towing the trailer, the 5.0L won't have any difficulty.

The 5.4L has been great, but I've been doing other work until this point and that trailer was overkill. Mostly empty when I used it. I don't think I ever had to tow over 3 tons. And I didn't pull it regularly. I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about getting an F-150 and being underpowered when I take a step forward and need to actually use it regularly.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM
kpchambers
Junior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
The flat torque curve of the 3.5EB will likely tow better than the 5.0, especially around town. You really need to know what the trailer's going to weigh before you make a decision. Also, keep in mind that going diesel adds about $10K in cost up front, quite a bit of additional maintenance, and a very finicky motor under the hood. One bad load of fuel will cost you about $12K in repairs.

While I don't tow often, my family has had quite a number of high-mileage F150s (including the most recent, a 2010 traded in with 225K on the clock and a lot of idle time beyond that) without significant issues and still running quite well.

IMO, if you don't *need* the SD for weight and you don't simply *want* an SD/PSD as a status symbol, you're adding a lot of additional cost for questionable value.

Do you think the 3.5L EB will be as dependable as a standard drivetrain? I've heard horror stories about keeping turbos tuned properly. Maybe get a 6.2L F-250?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Freedom1955
Junior User
I'd get the 6.2 F-250. the 3.5 Eco will pull it but the F-250 will be more stable while towing especially towing that many miles per year.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:42 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I think, as others have mentioned, that you really need to know better what that trailer weighs. 5 tons is near the max that any F-150 can handle, so if that is really what it weighs you will be on the cusp between an F-150 and an F-250.

Then the issue is how much of the time you will be towing. Will it be less than 50% of the time (lean toward F-150), or more than 50% of the time (lean toward F-250).

Looking at the picture with your 2009, there is a fair amount of squat in the rear, so it looks like you might have something in the neighborhood of 500 lb tongue weight (which implies that the trailer is "probably" in the neighborhood of 5000 lbs). That's just a SWAG, and thinking out loud...

Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kpchambers
Do you think the 3.5L EB will be as dependable as a standard drivetrain? I've heard horror stories about keeping turbos tuned properly. Maybe get a 6.2L F-250?
Do more research. There are thousands of 3.5EBs running around out there in F150s, Explorers, and Police Interceptors. They aren't blowing up all over the place. And I've never heard of anyone having to "tune" the turbos... unless you're referring to a tuner, which I wouldn't recommend, especially if you intend to tow all the time.

As long as you're within the load capacity of the truck, the 3.5EB will pull the load safely and effectively.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
The Ecoboost may have ample power for the trailer but it will consume much more than a V-8 especially whilst towing. If you don't plan to tow frequently, stick with the 5.0. The EB gets slightly better gas mileage if there's no towing compared to the V8 though.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:47 AM
kpchambers
Junior User
Originally Posted by Wiggums
The Ecoboost may have ample power for the trailer but it will consume much more than a V-8 especially whilst towing. If you don't plan to tow frequently, stick with the 5.0. The EB gets slightly better gas mileage if there's no towing compared to the V8 though.

I haven't been towing a whole lot lately, but I will be towing more and heavier loads pretty soon. I'm kinda leaning towards a 6.2L F-250 instead. I feel like the 5.0 will be underpowered. The 6.2L F-250 is nearly the same price as a 3.5L EB F-150. Probably the same MPGs but I won't have to worry about the turbo needing maintenance. Thoughts?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:48 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Probably the same MPGs but I won't have to worry about the turbo needing maintenance. Thoughts?

If the F-250 will help you sleep at night, then that's what you should do. I think a lot of people are over-thinking the fragility of the F-150 turbos.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
I haven't been towing a whole lot lately, but I will be towing more and heavier loads pretty soon. I'm kinda leaning towards a 6.2L F-250 instead. I feel like the 5.0 will be underpowered. The 6.2L F-250 is nearly the same price as a 3.5L EB F-150. Probably the same MPGs but I won't have to worry about the turbo needing maintenance. Thoughts?

Boy! Turbo maintenance?? I've owned rigs with turbos for the past 20 years and never done any turbo maintenance on any of them...guess I better check my owner's manual to see what I should have been doing!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Then the issue is how much of the time you will be towing. Will it be less than 50% of the time (lean toward F-150), or more than 50% of the time (lean toward F-250).
This x2.

I think both the 3.5EB and 5.0 engines in the F-150 will work for you with the MAX tow package. I'd be more concerned about longevity of the truck in general. If you're going to be towing all week long, then I think the heavier duty running gear in the SD is the better choice.

I also agree you should load up all your gear and hit the scales. No reason to pay SD prices if you're overestimating the weight.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 PM
McObra
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no more maintenance required for a turbocharged gas engine than a normally aspirated engine. Keep the oil changed per the owners manual and change the engine coolant as required, as both of these fluids are used to lubricate and cool the turbo bearings. There is no "tuning" required for turbos either. There is obviously a lot of misinformation floating around this and other forums concerning turbos. Most people who buy a vehicle with a turbo engine really aren't aware that they have a turbo, because most consumers have no interest about what's under the hood that makes the car/truck go.

Quick Reply: New business, new truck