Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

frayed wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frayed wiring

After interacting with the fuse box on my TC I decided to take a cruise through the motor compartment. The vehicle has about 3,000 miles and I have not spent a lot of time minutely examining its pieces/parts.

When I got to the coil packs I found what will probably be a big headache somewhere down the line; wires leading to two of the packs have been chewed on. I would guess mice. Everything still works but each wire has about a 2 inch run of chewed up insulation and some frayed wire.

I've wrapped the wires with electrical tape but I am not sure how to proceed. The wire chewing did not occur during my ownership--there are no wire pieces anywhere on the motor and there are no mice turds. In short, I suspect that the mice event occurred in storage or transit. The question is, can I expect a dealer to install new wiring or should I ride with a fix that seems to be working for the moment?

Advice will be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You bought it new right? I would check with your sales person. I don't know the cost, but I'd think they would at least be willing to split the bill with you, but it doesn't' hurt to just tell em what you found (and didn't find) and see. I know I've paid for bills I was sure the customer caused, so long as the customer is reasonable, I want them to come back even if I have to spend money with them. Of course, if you were a jerk (which I doubt) they will probably tell you to pound sand. I think lots of good sales people are type A personalities, so we can have harsh reactions to how a customer treats us. I get snappy and choose not to sell to some people and bend over backwards for folks I like. Maybe that's not type A and just called human.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:05 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frantz;

Nicely human , is what I'd say. Thanks for your advice.

What I've decided is that the problem is a lot more important for Ford than it is for me. The chewers could be Spanish, ship, Baltimore, or dealer rats. In any event the problem should be investigated to avoid long-term consequences.

When I go in for my service I will show the problem to my service manager and ask if my tape job is enough or whether I should re-wire. If a re-wire is needed I will then put on my knee pads and beg for an even split on the costs. I suppose the mice or rats could be mine, but I doubt it. My folks lost a big floater Cadillac that had been stored long enough for the rats to eat most of the wiring and just about all the leather. I am pretty fanatical about keeping traps around my place.

Anyway, I'm not jumping and down over the issue--if this is the worst thing that goes on in my life for this week I'll count it as a good week.