Oil & Lubrication  

Lucas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 06:46 AM
NSANT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucas?

I put some Lucas power steering fluid in my power steering unit and man did it ever make a big difference on the wheel.My question is ,has anyone ever put in their Lucas trannie fluid at the recommended 50% Lucas/50%regular trannie fluid level?

Old 08-20-2003, 07:39 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-20-2003, 12:20 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lucas?

I just got my new Summit Racing catalog and noticed that Lucas now has 15W-40 engine oil for $35 a four gallon case. No thanks.

Jim

Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Lucas?

I don't care for the stuff, especially after looking at the MSDS sheets for lucas and comparing it to 80-90 gear oil.

buying a bottle of gear oil would probably give the same results as lucas.

my .02

Old 08-25-2003, 05:47 AM
NSANT
Freshman User
Lucas?

I've got one bottle of the power stering fluid in my truck and have no problems.I also have two quarts in my trannie and when I check it it comes out a clear dark red.So what's up with these tests that "Bobtheoilguy" did?

Old 08-31-2003, 08:20 AM
DOHC
Senior User
Lucas?

Originally posted by NSANT
So what's up with these tests that "Bobtheoilguy" did?
IMO just a meaningless backyard test without relevance to a lube operating in the environment it's designed for , kinda like a Timken test which can be easily manipulated to make a oil being pushed by a salesman at the State Fair look much better than a competing oil or oils being compared to the " featured " oil.

I do though use the Lucas UCL in the gas at a reduced treat rate of 2 ounces per 10 gallons. I think it's worth every penny and the reduced FE in my analysis confirms during the summer months . I do not use it in the 3 coldest months of the year though because of possible excessive nitration.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:24 AM
DOHC
Senior User
Lucas?

Originally posted by superrangerman2002

buying a bottle of gear oil would probably give the same results as lucas.

my .02
My sediments as well. If I wanted a thicker gear oil or motor oil I would go buy it .

Old 09-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lucas?

Originally posted by DOHC

.....I do though use the Lucas UCL in the gas at a reduced treat rate of 2 ounces per 10 gallons. I think it's worth every penny and the reduced FE in my analysis confirms during the summer months...
I'm a little lost...what is Lucas UCL?

And the connection that you make....can you explain it a little better? What does the Lucas UCL do that causes lower iron levels in your oil?

Old 09-02-2003, 05:33 AM
DOHC
Senior User
Lucas?

Rockledge,

It is a Upper Cylinder Lubricant " UCL " and a mild injector cleaner available in quarts for about $5.75 at the parts stores.

It burns very clean and gives the rings a little lube thus bringing the iron level down . Very good for a hard working engine.

It lubes where other injector cleaners don't. Gas has lost all it's lubricity now and the Lucas makes up for it in a way.

I do use it through the winter on my engines I can put a hotter spark plug in easily,,,,,,,just not my two 4.6's

I used it for two weeks in a 33 year old Chevy 350 then decided to tear it down. The flame travel on those heads are terrible and I could actually see where the Lucas cleaned during the short time I used it.

It is the only Lucas product I use though. Everything they have is thick it seems--- even that power steering stuff is thick !

Old 09-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lucas?

Thanks for the clarification.

I've heard a lot of good thinga about Chevron Techron...I wonder if it lubricates like the Lucas UCL?

Old 10-26-2003, 08:19 PM
AYoungblood
Elder User
It is the only Lucas product I use though. Everything they have is thick it seems--- even that power steering stuff is thick !
PSF is pretty think anyway.

But How i got here was I just put a quart of Oil stablizer in my truck along with 5 Q's of Mobil 1 15-50 . I just wanted to try a thicker oil, my 302, like EVERY 302 over 20000 miles has blow-by. With the thicker oil and the lucas it did reduced it a little bit.'

But that was with only about 15 miles on the oil, after 1000 ill tell you how its doing.

Adam

Old 10-26-2003, 08:29 PM
AYoungblood
Elder User
Re: Lucas?

Originally posted by NSANT
I've got one bottle of the power stering fluid in my truck and have no problems.I also have two quarts in my trannie and when I check it it comes out a clear dark red.So what's up with these tests that "Bobtheoilguy" did?
Last time I checked..

There was NO air in a tranny and a engine is a vaccume that also has no free air.

Soooooooooooooo with no air, no frothyness righT???????/

Correct me if im wrong?

Adam

Old 10-27-2003, 10:56 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most trannies and engines I have worked on had air vents or breathers and usually a filler plug. When the filler plug is opened, even for a quick peak, I would think some air got in there, especially if there was a vacuum, dang it. My engine has a big ol hose going to the air cleaner, guess someone in there needs some air eh?

If an engine was totally full of oil(ie no air), you would have two things, 1) if it ran at all, the oil would create so much drag, it would not make much power. 2) If it ran at all with any power, you would hydraulic the pistons and then you would get air in the case when it punched out a cylinder or dropped a rod thru the bottom of the pan. If the engine truly had a vacuum, you would probably get too much blow by which would pollute the oil. I suppose a real high tech engine could be designed with a dry sump and a high vacuum, but for most drivers, what we got is sufficient and affordable.

The fill plug on a diff and most manual trannies is usually between 1/2 and 2/3 of the height of the case, so you cannot fill the top part of the case with lube.

Sooooo, unless you are filling the rest of the case with some innert gas or some valuable unobtainium then, yes Virginia there is air in most engines, differentials and trannies at least on your run of the mill American vehicle. Where there is air, there is chance to mix it into the oil. Oil with air in it is not as good as just oil. that is why racers use windage trays and or dry sumps. I even have read about a few vacuum pumps on racing engines, so it can be done, but not normally.

Just my opinions, I am no expert, I just putt around.

Jim Henderson